Help with Upgrade Bidding - Escape Haven

wezie

Hi.  I am thinking about upgrading from a mini suite to the aft facing Haven for my upcoming (November) Escape cruise.  I have never done the bidding before.  What kind of help can anyone give me on a good bid where I will have a chance of winning without way overbidding?  Can anyone here speak from experience on this?  Thanks so much!

Supply and demand...

There are so many factors, nobody can tell you how much a good bid will be, to get an upgrade without overbiding.

if it would be so easy, everybody would do so.

You should be happy with your mini suite and be pleased if you get your upgrade to haven.

You could try to comb through some of the long bidding thread that exists and see what kind of bids people made who were successful in winning but as the previous poster mentioned, it's difficult to know for sure as each sailing and each ship will be different. 

The best advice on bidding I have seen on here is to only bid what you are comfortable paying.

Good luck! 

Our first cruise with NCL was in July on the Escape and we were offered to bid for a Haven upgrade.  We bid on the Courtyard Penthouse and the Aft and Forward Suites.  We had a mini suite, which we would have been happy with if we did not win, but friends loved the Haven so much we decided to bid.  We bid what we were comfortable with, which was 800 pp for the courtyard and the minimum for the other two (we knew we didn't have a shot with those bids but did it anyway).  Our Courtyard bid was accepted about 10 days out. 

I think it is up to you on what you feel comfortable bidding.  We loved the Haven, it is fantastic so I hope if you decide to bid you get it because I think you will love it (it was worth every penny as far as we are concerned).  Good Luck!

I know it's been mentioned in other posts before, but I'll also throw this out there- check the current, going rate for the cabin you you plan to bid on and then place a bid that won't make your current (mini suite) cost + upgrade bid come in higher than the current going rate of the Haven room. Because at that point, you would be better off just paying for the upgrade outright and securing the cabin you want  

All very good information and advice.  I would add that if you consult this mile-long thread (below), you may get some idea of what people have done in the past and what has worked/not worked.  One thing I noticed when reading this thread is that more offers were rejected than accepted...at least as it relates to what is reported on the thread.  Therefore, my take-away has been similar to that of another poster...watch the pricing of the cabins that you have an eye on and if they fall in your comfort range without worrying about the bidding process, go ahead an upgrade outright.  Then at least you know for sure what you will be getting and where (location on the ship).  I was in an aft-Haven penthouse in June on deck 9 of Breakaway (largest balcony) and absolutely LOVED everything about it.  I started with a bid but kept watching the prices.  About 3 weeks out, I called my TA and just upgraded.  I knew I wanted that cabin so there was no point in playing the wait-and-see game.  Best of luck!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

4 hours ago, wezie said:

Hi.  I am thinking about upgrading from a mini suite to the aft facing Haven for my upcoming (November) Escape cruise.  I have never done the bidding before.  What kind of help can anyone give me on a good bid where I will have a chance of winning without way overbidding?  Can anyone here speak from experience on this?  Thanks so much!

it is totally dependent on your cruise. in general, there are hundreds of people bidding on a dozen Haven rooms. a minimum bid will not win.