post card stamps

racnwdow

App on my phone -

It was really fun to make the postcards.  I took some pictures that my grandkids would like and made a "kid" post cards.  I also made postcards for in-laws with info I thought they would like. I sent a couple to myself so I could see what they were like.

I didn't have to worry about stamps or mailing them.  All done with a push of a button.

Edited by shipgirl56

9 hours ago, shipgirl56 said:

App on my phone -

It was really fun to make the postcards.  I took some pictures that my grandkids would like and made a "kid" post cards.  I also made postcards for in-laws with info I thought they would like. I sent a couple to myself so I could see what they were like.

I didn't have to worry about stamps or mailing them.  All done with a push of a button.

What is this app called?  I'd like to look into this.  Just wondering if my 4 and 6-year-old grandsons would like it or prefer a hard copy they can put on the fridge. 🤔

On 8/17/2019 at 7:46 PM, Cruising-along said:

Yes, that's what I do.  Never had a problem (yet) with the post cards taking any longer than when we've sent them from port.  My port time is too precious to spend it looking for a post office so I take the easy way. 😄

I rarely do all-day tours, so I like having time to wander the "local" areas in a port rather than spend my time in the "shopping mall" at the pier. Finding the post office is part of my wander. I buy postcards, then get stamps, then stop somewhere for a drink or a snack and write the cards. I do use googlemap to look at the port in advance and see where the post office and other local shops/facilities are--I hate that the port maps don't put anything useful like a post office or pharmacy on the maps they give out. 

49 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

What is this app called?  I'd like to look into this.  Just wondering if my 4 and 6-year-old grandsons would like it or prefer a hard copy they can put on the fridge. 🤔

I don't know the name of the app, but I've heard of it. I'm pretty sure there's a version that generates "hard copy" that is mailed. But it would be mailed from the US, so no pretty foreign stamps.

Edited to add: I just looked and found one called mypostcard. They do mail a real postcard. $1.99 each. There are a few others, too.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The app is called Touch Note. It generates a hard copy postcard with the picture you choose.  You type out a message for the back of the postcard, address it and it is mailed from U.S.A.  

I used it for our Costa Rica tour. For the grandkids I took pictures of bats, monkeys, pineapple farm.  For my inlaws, I sent pictures of scenery, flowers etc. 

I sent a postcard, almost, everyday of something we saw that day.

Everyone loved the personal cards. 

Edited by shipgirl56

38 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't know the name of the app, but I've heard of it. I'm pretty sure there's a version that generates "hard copy" that is mailed. But it would be mailed from the US, so no pretty foreign stamps.

Edited to add: I just looked and found one called mypostcard. They do mail a real postcard. $1.99 each. There are a few others, too.

26 minutes ago, shipgirl56 said:

The app is called Touch Note. It generates a hard copy postcard with the picture you choose.  You type out a message for the back of the postcard, address it and it is mailed from U.S.A.  

I used it for our Costa Rica tour. For the grandkids I took pictures of bats, monkeys, pineapple farm.  For my inlaws, I sent pictures of scenery, flowers etc. 

I sent a postcard, almost, everyday of something we saw that day.

Everyone loved the personal cards. 

Thank you!!!  I'll check out both of these.  I know the grand kids don't care about pretty foreign stamps at their ages, so this sounds perfect.  A good way to stay in touch while we're gone.  They get excited about getting post cards in the mail that are just for them.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:59 AM, catl331 said:

You must use local postage, and I recommend that you mail them on shore. I've had postcards "mailed" on the ship not reach their destinations for several months, or sometimes never.

Had the same experience.  Front desk told us they would be happy to mail our post card from Japan to the U. S.  Card never arrived. 

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you!!!  I'll check out both of these.  I know the grand kids don't care about pretty foreign stamps at their ages, so this sounds perfect.  A good way to stay in touch while we're gone.  They get excited about getting post cards in the mail that are just for them.

My grandkids loved getting a postcard each, addressed to them.  They looked forward to them.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 2:03 PM, Cruising-along said:

I have Touch Note on my phone now, very easy to use!

Update

Sadly I've deleted this app. I tried using the "free 14-day trial" to test it out, and it tried to force me to subscribe to a membership that would do auto deductions monthly from my credit card whether I use it or not.  I checked on negative reviews and some said this was a recent change for new customers.

9 hours ago, shipgirl56 said:

Re: Touch Note app, I just bought a few credits to try it out and loved it.  I won't do the monthly charge either.  I'll just add a few more credits before our cruise.

Thanks for the info.  I'll look again, but don't remember seeing the option to do that -- just a page to start monthly charges to my credit card.  When you do it that way, are they charging extra (more than the $1.49 to send a postcard?)  Just wondering what it really costs.  

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll look again, but don't remember seeing the option to do that -- just a page to start monthly charges to my credit card.  When you do it that way, are they charging extra (more than the $1.49 to send a postcard?)  Just wondering what it really costs.  

It depends on how many credits you buy.  I believe that to send a postcard, it costs 1 credit. 

The choices for buying credits are:

Premium (which is a monthly charge).  It comes with perks, but I don't send enough to sign up for that. 

40 credits = $2.00 per credit. 

20 credits = $2.25 per credit. 

10 credits = $2.50 per credit.  

It used to cost less.  It still is a nice convenience when traveling.  You can also order cards, pictures in frames etc. which cost more.

2 hours ago, shipgirl56 said:

It depends on how many credits you buy.  I believe that to send a postcard, it costs 1 credit. 

The choices for buying credits are:

Premium (which is a monthly charge).  It comes with perks, but I don't send enough to sign up for that. 

40 credits = $2.00 per credit. 

20 credits = $2.25 per credit. 

10 credits = $2.50 per credit.  

It used to cost less.  It still is a nice convenience when traveling.  You can also order cards, pictures in frames etc. which cost more.

Thank you so much for putting up with my questions!  I've emailed them because I see NO option to buy credits even though I see it mentioned on their website.  I went through it again, made a postcard, went to send it and it's forcing me to (1) agree to a free 2-week trial, and (2) sign up for membership.  Otherwise the card just sits there 😞  Will see what they say.  I'd seen in reviews that this is a change for new customers. All I want to do is buy credits, lol.