Alfresco Dining on QV

Too Young for Cunard

There is a small area between Queens and Princess Grill restaurants, to eat al fresco, solely for those passengers who have booked suites. 

Last year when we were on the QV for a Caribbean cruise, when the weather permitted, on the aft sun deck (9) there were tables set up and with waiter service. I am sure there was a printed menu together with an additional charge.

It has been some time since I traveled on QV, but I did dine in the al fresco dining area between the Queens and Princess Grill. If you were a QG passenger a QG waiter brought you the QG menu, if you were a Princess Grill passenger a Princess Grill waiter brought you the Princess Grill menu. We were at sea, and the wind made it uncomfortable to dine there, so I did it only once. 

We had lunch in outside in the Grills several years ago but couldn't have dinner out there sadly. It is the reconfiguration of the aft deck that I am interested in this time as we are in Britannia. Is the waiter service and menu available a lot if the weather is good or is it just an occasional thing? Do they do lunch and dinner? Also does anyone know what the menu is like or how much it is? We are on the the Mediterranean Highlights/ Voyage du vin for 14 nights so am exploring dining options, especially as my beloved Verandah has been ruined by the steakhouse concept. Tried that on QM2 last year: never again. 

The area between PG and QG is called the Courtyard.

It is only possible to use it when the ship is berthed, otherwise it would be far too windy.

We've had breakfast and lunch there quite often, but don't even remember ever seeing anyone there for dinner.

I'd imagine the dining area on Deck 9 would be even more exposed, so it would have to be a really balmy night before anyone would consider dining there.

Stewart

2 minutes ago, Too Young for Cunard said:

We had lunch in outside in the Grills several years ago but couldn't have dinner out there sadly. It is the reconfiguration of the aft deck that I am interested in this time as we are in Britannia. Is the waiter service and menu available a lot if the weather is good or is it just an occasional thing? Do they do lunch and dinner? Also does anyone know what the menu is like or how much it is? We are on the the Mediterranean Highlights/ Voyage du vin for 14 nights so am exploring dining options, especially as my beloved Verandah has been ruined by the steakhouse concept. Tried that on QM2 last year: never again. 

Last time I was on QV it was, as you suggested, a matter of taking your Lido buffet meal out to the tables near the aft pool (Deck 9). Sometimes we used this for breakfast and lunch. There was also a grill area (port side) that prepared BBQ style food on most nice weather days. I think waiters were available for drinks but not food.

For the Grills - the Courtyard area is OK but totally devoid of views.

I remember that there was a 'pop-up' restaurant with waiter service on the aft deck of QV.

It was dependent on the weather to some extent 😁

We used it a couple of times on one trip but I don't have any record of the menu.

We could be going back 2 years or so. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

14 hours ago, Too Young for Cunard said:

Can anyone provide any details on the alfresco dining on QV? Is there a separate menu in the evenings or it is just a nice place to sit with lido buffet food? Cunard’s website is somewhat vague. 

Hi there is a copy of the menu , photos of some of the dishes and a little bit of a review on my blog post here

https://butarewethereyet.blogspot.com/2019/02/trial.html

I wasn't overly impressed especially considering around South America a couple of years ago the same position was taken over by a really good bbq outdoor restaurant which was much more casual and much more successful. The MD Desiree however was the best thing about the experience this year, she's pretty entertaining.

ps...if you are also interested in pics and the menus in the Steakhouse it is a couple of days later and here

https://butarewethereyet.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-verandah-restaurant-is-dead-long.html

Edited by roscoe39

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

The area between PG and QG is called the Courtyard.

It is only possible to use it when the ship is berthed, otherwise it would be far too windy.

We've had breakfast and lunch there quite often, but don't even remember ever seeing anyone there for dinner.

I'd imagine the dining area on Deck 9 would be even more exposed, so it would have to be a really balmy night before anyone would consider dining there.

Stewart

the courtyard between the two grills restaurant on a balmy Pacific evening between ports can be very special, Ive had quite a few great meals there. Although it lacks sea views dining under the stars is very pleasant. Thoroughly recommended BigMac if you ever have the opportunity to try it again....

20 minutes ago, roscoe39 said:

Hi there is a copy of the menu , photos of some of the dishes and a little bit of a review on my blog post here

I wasn't overly impressed especially considering around South America a couple of years ago the same position was taken over by a really good bbq outdoor restaurant which was much more casual and much more successful. The MD Desiree however was the best thing about the experience this year, she's pretty entertaining.

ps...if you are also interested in pics and the menus in the Steakhouse it is a couple of days later and here

https://butarewethereyet.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-verandah-restaurant-is-dead-long.html

Thanks for the link. If it’s available we will probably give it a go along with the other lido alternative restaurants. Doubt we will try Verandah again. Really don’t like the steakhouse concept as I don’t like steakhouses. Much prefer fine A la carte cuisine as it used to be. Maybe I’m just old fashioned. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Too Young for Cunard said:

Thanks for the link. If it’s available we will probably give it a go along with the other lido alternative restaurants. Doubt we will try Verandah again. Really don’t like the steakhouse concept as I don’t like steakhouses. Much prefer fine A la carte cuisine as it used to be. Maybe I’m just old fashioned. 

I know where you are coming from, the Indian evening in the Lido is my favourite....

8 minutes ago, roscoe39 said:

the courtyard between the two grills restaurant on a balmy Pacific evening between ports can be very special, Ive had quite a few great meals there. Although it lacks sea views dining under the stars is very pleasant. Thoroughly recommended BigMac if you ever have the opportunity to try it again....

Pretty special when cruising the Indian Ocean too although we've not tried an evening courtyard dinner. It can become too hot at times though, even with a breeze.

There was a large party dining there one night  and seemed to be enjoying the occasion.

51 minutes ago, roscoe39 said:

Roscoe

You have the photos of what I had in mind for deck 9 finer dining. It happened most nights whilst in the Caribbean at the price of about $20 . Lovely to see you have mentioned Desiree: we have known her for years first coming across her kindness when she was waitress for us in the Grills. So pleased she has now passed to higher echelons and always so pleasant to catch up with her!

By the way, on the Caribbean trip last year, the wonderful deck 9 sumptuous buffet extravaganza, sadly just never happened as on other occasions; and it wasn’t the weather to blame.

Hope all is well with you Roscoe😁,

3 hours ago, Glenndale said:

I remember that there was a 'pop-up' restaurant with waiter service on the aft deck of QV.

It was dependent on the weather to some extent 😁

We used it a couple of times on one trip but I don't have any record of the menu.

We could be going back 2 years or so. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

There was when we on the QV 2 years ago but I never saw anyone eating there so maybe it stopped ? As I recall it wasn't cheap.