Post cruise advice needed for Seward

kraftyone2011

Hi

We end our cruise in Seward on a Friday morning. We will be flying out of Anchorage.

We would like to do a Kenai Fjords cruise in Seward and the 26 glacier cruise in Whittier.  Has anyone done this?  I’m not sure how to do it with luggage after the cruise in Seward.  I was thinking we would have to find transportation to Whittier after the Kenai cruise. Stay overnight in Whittier do the 26 glacier cruise then find transportation to Anchorage for a flight out. 

Any suggestions ?  It’s my first trip to Alaska. 

what time is your flight home?

There are a couple of ways to do this. And you don't necessarily have to overnight in Whittier. The PWS tours generally leave noon-ish so you could overnight in Anchorage and take the train, bus or transfer to Whittier.

1. rent a car from HERTZ.  The one-way rate is usually pretty high. However it compare to the other options. With a car you can overnight in Whittier, Summit Lake, Girdwood, Anchorage, etc plus make a few other interesting stops.

2. overnight in Seward, then take the Seward Buslines to Whittier the following morning. Then take the train

3.  take the 6pm train Seward - Anc.  Overnight near the Anc depot and catch the train to Whittier the next morning, or perhaps alaskacruisetransfer.com

4.  PJs taxi in seward regularly takes people to Anchorage.  Ask what they would charge to Whitter.

You really need to look at the timing of the travel options, and the price.  USually a car is the best option as it gives you more flexibility. 

Edited by mapleleaves

The Kenai Fjords cruise is very worthwhile (I took a longer one offered; 6 hours, I think) just this Summer.  The 26 glacier tour, I have not done.  Be aware that Whittier, worthy of a visit I think, is a very small town with limited tourist facilities.  Seward, I think, would be preferable for an overnight than Whittier.  I agree with the advice that a previous poster said that renting a car would provide for the flexibility that I think would be best for your proposed itinerary.  It's my understanding that renting a car in Seward is possible, but pricey.  More expensive than renting a car at ANC or at an agency off the airport grounds.

Another thought regarding the 26 glacier trip:  how many glaciers do you really want to see and appreciate?  Your cruise into Seward will provide some glacier visits.  Doing the Kenai Fjords cruise, you will see glaciers.  Of course, the more area that you cover, the better the chances of seeing wildlife and the calving of glaciers which HAVE to be a major highlight (at least for me). 

The glacier comment has been on my mind also.  I want to do the Mendenhall when we're in port so I may skip that.  I talked to the Kenai Fords tour people and they said they would store out luggage while we do the tour.  Then Im thinking of taking the train or bus to Anchorage and stay overnight. I'd like to see the Native Heritage museum so maybe do that the next day and then fly home.  I'm going to wait until the new Northern Lights coupon comes out before I solidify anything.  I doubt if I'll ever make it back so I want to do as much as I can  

I happen to really enjoy Prince William Sound and the glacier tours.   I do suggest you add as many days as possible.  Maple mentions a car rental. In your situation that would very effectively use your time.    Both tours are top choices. 

If you take the Major Marine tour in Seward (as is very recommended here) they will store your bags while you are on your tour. Actually, we arrived in Seward much before our tour and they stored them for a few hours before and during the trip.