Overseas Adventure Travel on Nile River on the Nefertiti ship

MMFLA

Has anyone ever gone on this particular cruise line or on this particular ship?  Thinking about this Egypt and Nile River trip but not sure about accommodations on this ship or if there's a better cruise line, etc  Thanks very much for your input.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:12 PM, MMFLA said:

Has anyone ever gone on this particular cruise line or on this particular ship?  Thinking about this Egypt and Nile River trip but not sure about accommodations on this ship or if there's a better cruise line, etc  Thanks very much for your input.

I have not heard of this particular line and don't recall it being mentioned here on CC either.  Have you looked at some other lines such as Viking, AMA, Avalon, Scenic, etc.  There are some reviews of the ships with some of those companies in the past couple of years.  We went through Insight Tours which used an older ship but was an excellent tour company.   Basically they all do the same itinerary but some companies charge/offer more and be aware that with Viking you have to pay the full amount right away even if the trip is a year away.  Do some reading on these boards and you will pick up some great discussions and ideas. 

Thank you for your info.  I think AARP was endorsing this cruise line, which was called Grand Circle tours.  I just get the feeling the cabins are small and beds are like bunk bed types, so that's why I'm skeptical about this ship.  

OAT is the part of Grand Circle Travel that specializes in small groups (generally 16 or less). GCT has been in business over 50 years, sells only directly to customers (not through travel agents) and has many loyal repeat customers. They focus on local culture and encourage interaction with the locals through occasional dinners with selected families etc. Their vessels and hotels are quite comfortable but are generally first class rather than deluxe or luxury. Most of Grand Circle Cruise Line river boats in Europe have fixed (non-movable) twin beds, but I’m pretty sure the vessels OAT use in Egypt has twin beds that can be moved and made up as a double. Most cabins are a rather small 150 square feet, but my experience on other OAT ships has been that they were quite efficient. 

I have been to Egypt several times, but traveling on my own, not with OAT or GCT. I have been on a number of GCCL vessels in Europe and 3 times on OAT vessels in the Mediterranean. I like that the guides that have been assigned on these trips stay with your group the entire trip (supplemented by local guides), and they have been without exception outstanding. I have been very pleased with my multiple trips. 

ADDED: Doing a little more research what I read is that OAT uses the Aliya and that GCCL (somewhat larger group size) uses the Nefertiti. 

Edited by TravelerThom

Although I haven't cruised in Egypt, we have cruised with OAT and GCT.  We are leaving in a few days for our fourth OAT cruise (this time, London to Lisbon).  We have taken over a dozen GCT trips. Obviously, we've been very happy with our trips.   I highly recommend this company (GCT/OAT).  Travelor Thom described them well.  You may not see many posts on CruiseCritic about GCT/OAT;  they don't have the high number  of passengers that the larger companies have.  

• 3 years later...