Passenger Information

Please could I ask. I am sailing from Newcastle on Explorer for a three night cruise. It is a 90s music themed so I know it is going to be lively.  My question is I have not had to provide Marella with my passport details. I am use to cruise lines that want this information in advance. Do I just turn up at the dock with my passport and ticket?  

Thank you in advance, Stephen.  

PS I am not flying to this cruise. 

Hi,we're boarding her when she arrives in Southampton.We had an email saying our eticket is ready.There is nothing to print off,so do we just show up with passports and booking number.This is our first UK boarding with Marella.Cheers,Brian.

Edited by brian1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hi,we're boarding her when she arrives in Southampton.We had an email saying our eticket is ready.There is nothing to print off,so do we just show up with passports and booking number.This is our first UK boarding with Marella.Cheers,Brian.

We did a Marella cruise from Southampton last year - bit different from P&O in that you don't get your luggage labels beforehand but at the terminal when you arrive there are desks outside where you just give your name and are given an envelope with your labels inside. Attach these to your cases and give to the porters as usual.  We were embarked in 15 minutes!  

1 minute ago, kruzseeka said:

We did a Marella cruise from Southampton last year - bit different from P&O in that you don't get your luggage labels beforehand but at the terminal when you arrive there are desks outside where you just give your name and are given an envelope with your labels inside. Attach these to your cases and give to the porters as usual.  We were embarked in 15 minutes!  

Thanks again.

Thank you. For confirming I am fine with just turning up. As my cabin is on a guarantee basis I did wonder how luggage labels would work.  I have printed out my booking confirmation and have my passport ready. 

Unfortunately getting to the port early is not an option. I am disembarking a CMV cruise in Hull the day the Marella cruise embarks. It could go terribly wrong. In theory I will make it with time to spare but that depends on CMV and the trains. It does have the advantage that my cruises start and finish very close together Portsmouth to Southampton. 

Thank you again, Stephen. 

1 hour ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

Thank you. For confirming I am fine with just turning up. As my cabin is on a guarantee basis I did wonder how luggage labels would work.  I have printed out my booking confirmation and have my passport ready. 

Unfortunately getting to the port early is not an option. I am disembarking a CMV cruise in Hull the day the Marella cruise embarks. It could go terribly wrong. In theory I will make it with time to spare but that depends on CMV and the trains. It does have the advantage that my cruises start and finish very close together Portsmouth to Southampton. 

So you're using the Marella cruise to get back to your starting point (more or less).  Very good idea.  I think you might find that leg interesting ..........but it all adds to the experience!   

56 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

So you're using the Marella cruise to get back to your starting point (more or less).  Very good idea.  I think you might find that leg interesting ..........but it all adds to the experience!   

I think that's the one that doesn't go to downtown Amsterdam,but the controversial port miles up the road.Still a nice little repo mini cruise.

That is right we are going to Imjuden. I do not mind I have been to Amsterdam many times. Imjuden will make a more quiet relaxed stop. I have my own excursion planned there also. When I booked it was sold as Amsterdam. I hope everybody is fine with this. I wonder if they will provide a coach transfer to Amsterdam. 

I have two short cruises on Astoria before this cruise. Portsmouth, Rouen, Portsmouth, At Sea and Hull. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

We are on the 2 weeker going back and on to Iceland.We are all being charged the 8 euro city tax to dock downtown.At least we know we are going downtown unlike other cruiselines who disguise it somewhat.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, brian1 said:

We are on the 2 weeker going back and on to Iceland.We are all being charged the 8 euro city tax to dock downtown.At least we know we are going downtown unlike other cruiselines who disguise it somewhat.Cheers,Brian.

I am guessing but most of the passengers on my cruise would probably prefer that option. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

6 minutes ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

I am guessing but most of the passengers on my cruise would probably prefer that option. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

Well I'm happy to pay it - absolute bargain in my book compared with the hassle of the transfer from Ijmuiden.  Pity Carnival took a different stance cancelling berthing in central Amsterdam  - principle over passengers imo creating a lot of disappointment for those who'd booked expecting an overnight in the city.   We're lucky - am very happy to pay €8 extra!  Sorry Marella didn't offer that convenience on your trip Stephen.  Perhaps unable to secure a berth that day?  Hope you enjoy your day anyway.

18 hours ago, brian1 said:

Yes, real bonus brian 👍 Not sure how well they did disguise it though - I think we all had a very good idea of their motives!  I felt so sorry for the passengers where it was the only destination though - not the trip they thought they'd booked.

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Yes, real bonus brian 👍 Not sure how well they did disguise it though - I think we all had a very good idea of their motives!  I felt so sorry for the passengers where it was the only destination though - not the trip they thought they'd booked.

Hi,Marella didn't disguise anything.After all the complaints on P and O,I looked up the docking locations for Explorer and Ijmuden and Amsterdam both came up.That's when I realised there was a mini cruise before ours,but on the TUI site it does say Ijmuden for Amsterdam,but this might be a recent edit,with all the complaints going on about Carnival Corp boycotting Amsterdam.Cheers,Brian.

46 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi,Marella didn't disguise anything.After all the complaints on P and O,I looked up the docking locations for Explorer and Ijmuden and Amsterdam both came up.That's when I realised there was a mini cruise before ours,but on the TUI site it does say Ijmuden for Amsterdam,but this might be a recent edit,with all the complaints going on about Carnival Corp boycotting Amsterdam.Cheers,Brian.

Yes, I checked out the port schedule too and was relieved that it was central Amsterdam and the information about the €8 charge to the account confirmed central docking.  P&O should have done the same and honoured cruises already booked, especially the over-nighters, then made a stance in the future. Well that's my opinion for what it's worth!   Anyway - not our problem on this one! 😉  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 8:31 AM, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

That's pretty adventurous Stephen - especially with British trains 😁.  Hope it all goes well and you have great cruises.