Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
YankeesFan4Life

Maya Chan - WOW! 5 STARS!!!!

Recommended Posts

Absolutely AMAZING time at Maya Chan!  We got off the ship a little later, texted David, said he was waiting at the meeting point for us.  After a little bit of a walk, which we were warned about, we met David, exactly where he said he would be.  He explained to us that we got the email about the seaweed issue, and assured us that it improved, but we were going either way.  He then radio'd for a taxi.  My family of 4 and another family of 4 shared what he called a Mexican Limo (yellow taxi van...) and began our 20 minute drive.  Everyone says the road is bumpy, but really it was fine.

We arrived at the resort, was greeted by Mary and one of the dogs, who was really sweet, and she proceeded to explain to us about the resort, where things were, and then told us about the massages. We were then led to our own beachfront palapa with chairs, table, and 2 hammock's!  Immediately got a drink, and kept on getting refills!  We then booked 2 massages and waited for them to call us.  In the meantime, had a couple local beers and relaxed. 

The water was a little mirky, but hey, that's nature!  They had people constantly raking up the seaweed to make it nicer and cleaner for us.  We were hesitant to go in the water, but I made it in to my knees and decided to wait it out to get my massage. My wife came back completely relaxed and I went for mine.  After an amazing 1/2 hour ($25) massage, lunch was being served.  Oh My Goodness!  A spread like you wouldn't believe of corn and flour tortillas, with steak, chicken, pulled pork, and the most amazing sea bass ever!  Then on the side was rice and beans, salsa, guacamole, and cheese.  I think we all went back for seconds, because the food was so darn good!

After lunch, kids and I went kayaking for a little bit, was a lot of fun.  Then I decided I wanted to go relax in the pool, so I chilled there for a couple hours, while our waiter brought the greatest Margarita's ever!  By then I wanted to chill some more, so went in the hammock!  All the while, my 13yo daughter was playing with the two dogs and one of the two cats, it was precious.  

Before I knew it, it was time to get back to the ship.  They had already asked when we wanted to leave, and the Mexican Limo was there right on time to bring us back, and this time, right to the dock, past security, saving about a 20 minute walk!

I would book this place a thousand times over if and when I make it back to Costa Maya!  Kudos to the Maya Chan team! You truly made our vacation something to remember!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I book western itineraries specifically because of Maya Chan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a day booked with them in December on my trip and am very much looking forward to it. The communication from them already is amazing. 

 

They sent a map to get out of the main plaza there so I feel pretty confident but, did you have an difficulty finding an exit? They've said sometimes it can be confusing to get OUT of the port area. 

 

This is my first cruise so just trying to be prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maya Chan is the best when it comes to food,drinks,service and atmosphere, I just wish their beach was nicer. Some of the other places on the strip are able to keep theirs clean,like tropicante, so it’s possible. Maybe someday.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pete1681 said:

Maya Chan is the best when it comes to food,drinks,service and atmosphere, I just wish their beach was nicer. Some of the other places on the strip are able to keep theirs clean,like tropicante, so it’s possible. Maybe someday.....

 

Hard to say unless you were to visit both places on the same day.

 

We enjoy both locations. We do not repeatedly go to any one particular location in any port and we would certainly never go exclusively to an AI.

 

However, we have been to both Tropicante and Maya Chan when they have been clear AND we have been to both when there have been piles of seaweed. Both locations worked tirelessly to clear away the accumulations but sometimes the seaweed in Costa Maya is just overwhelming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny you should ay that,I did check Maya Chan’s webcam that day and their beach was very muddy looking, it’s my understanding that they do not remove the seaweed from the water, only what washes up on shore. The other beaches rake it out of the water as well. I believe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete1681 said:

Funny you should ay that,I did check Maya Chan’s webcam that day and their beach was very muddy looking, it’s my understanding that they do not remove the seaweed from the water, only what washes up on shore. The other beaches rake it out of the water as well. I believe 

 

LOL that is diligent checking out the competition while you are there!

 

I have never seen any beaches cleaning the water prior to washing up other than bays/lagoons with restricted entrances eg Occidental playa del Carmen. 

 

Some beaches have the advantage of some protection from off-shore reefs and some beaches erect off- shore baffles.

 

I think Tropicante may have had less seagrass if I remember correctly but that again may have been dependent on the time of year.

Edited by c-leg5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 2:26 PM, YankeesFan4Life said:

After lunch, kids and I went kayaking for a little bit, was a lot of fun.  Then I decided I wanted to go relax in the pool, so I chilled there for a couple hours, while our waiter brought the greatest Margarita's ever!  By then I wanted to chill some more, so went in the hammock!  All the while, my 13yo daughter was playing with the two dogs and one of the two cats, it was precious. 

When did Maya Chan get a pool?   I wasn't aware of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, helensobol said:

When did Maya Chan get a pool?   I wasn't aware of that.

Heard it wasn't too old. Looked like an above ground pool, with decking around it.  Was nice, clean, crisp and definitely a great place to relax, especially since the ocean water was murky...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, helensobol said:

When did Maya Chan get a pool?   I wasn't aware of that.

 

Its been there about 12 months.

 

here is a previous discussion and photos, starts around page 6

I am surprised this is still not mentioned on their website after all this time and apparently cruisers have even been since and not known it was there as it wasn’t in the introductory tour.

Edited by c-leg5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, missSarahA81 said:

I have a day booked with them in December on my trip and am very much looking forward to it. The communication from them already is amazing. 

 

They sent a map to get out of the main plaza there so I feel pretty confident but, did you have an difficulty finding an exit? They've said sometimes it can be confusing to get OUT of the port area. 

 

This is my first cruise so just trying to be prepared.

 

I know you asked this about three weeks ago, but I didn't see an answer. 

 

It's very easy to get out of the port area. It is basically set up to snake you through all the shops and everything, but if you just keep walking, you will eventually make it to the port exit. There's really no way to get lost. There's no place where you have to choose a left or right turn, there's only one way to really go.

 

And once you exit the port, you just walk straight for a couple blocks until you see the meeting place for Maya Chan on the right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

 

I know you asked this about three weeks ago, but I didn't see an answer. 

 

It's very easy to get out of the port area. It is basically set up to snake you through all the shops and everything, but if you just keep walking, you will eventually make it to the port exit. There's really no way to get lost. There's no place where you have to choose a left or right turn, there's only one way to really go.

 

And once you exit the port, you just walk straight for a couple blocks until you see the meeting place for Maya Chan on the right.

 

Thanks! It's helpful and I appreciate it!  😀😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MisterOJ2 said:

It's very easy to get out of the port area. It is basically set up to snake you through all the shops and everything, but if you just keep walking, you will eventually make it to the port exit. There's really no way to get lost. There's no place where you have to choose a left or right turn, there's only one way to really go.

 

And once you exit the port, you just walk straight for a couple blocks until you see the meeting place for Maya Chan on the right.

@missSarahA81: In addition, if you haven't seen it, this map from a recent thread is probably a little better then than last one we received from Maya Chan. If you follow it, you will get out.  Occasionally we have seen an unlocked gate/door at one of the old exits, but most of the time you need follow the map all the way to the end.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...