Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

6 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

They may get the Yankee order Saturday and have to sail early. If the storm slows more maybe there is time to wait unti sail time. A longer cruise with delayed return is certain like the others.

So you are projecting NCL SKY on Saturday should be good? (Based on your opinion?)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ncurcio said:

Carnival is pathetic. They’re not properly acknowledging the reality that the victory sailing tomorrow 8/30 won’t be able to return Monday. Instead they’re leaving it as ambiguous as possible and not offering any sort of answerable or refunds. Royal Caribbean is offering either an extended cruise or a full credit to a future cruise. I can’t believe there is such a stark contrast in customer service and safety.

Been there experienced that. They came through after all other lines were nicer. Just later.

Another small path change southward 30 miles. So the cruise changes and port closure seems more necessary. More intense. Now forecast at strong cat 4 with 140 mph winds at eyewall.  Cat 5 is quite possible. Curve to NW and perhaps N once inland, and moving slowly for 24 hours. Other models still show possible slowdown before landfall and turn at or before landfall so still not very certain!

On the phone waiting for Royal right now. Does anyone know how this will work if you cancel? It says get the refund 9/20 does that mean I have to wait until 9/20 to book my next cruise? Plus, I paid with their new finance program UPLift so do I just keep paying for a cruise I’m not going on? And looks like no credit discount for future cruises either if you cancel just a credit for the cruise fare only? Now what if we go and cannot get on the ship  9/4 due to damage then is it again just a 100% fare credit after you spent all that extra money to be there and wait for them to go? Sorry I’m just feeling overwhelmed and sad 

It is slowing down, which could strengthen it, but also gives time for 7 day cruises to leave this weekend if they choose to come back from where they are now. New estimates for landfall are Monday night to Tuesday.

53 minutes ago, Traciewatson said:

On the phone waiting for Royal right now. Does anyone know how this will work if you cancel? It says get the refund 9/20 does that mean I have to wait until 9/20 to book my next cruise? Plus, I paid with their new finance program UPLift so do I just keep paying for a cruise I’m not going on? And looks like no credit discount for future cruises either if you cancel just a credit for the cruise fare only? Now what if we go and cannot get on the ship  9/4 due to damage then is it again just a 100% fare credit after you spent all that extra money to be there and wait for them to go? Sorry I’m just feeling overwhelmed and sad 

Tracie, do you even have to call to "cancel"? I am not waiting on the phone for hours for this crap. I find it ridiculous that they chop 3 days off the cruise, only go to one crappy port, and won't refund your money "in the hopes you will go on a future cruise". What a shoddy business. Not happy with Royal Caribbean right now.

Of course the email they send doesn't specify any details on what you need to do if you don't want to waste your time on this cruise (what, do you just not show up?).

Dear Guest,

After careful review of Hurricane Dorian’s path, our Harmony of the Seas sailing will now depart on Wednesday, September 4th, 2019, instead of Sunday, September 1st, 2019. We’re terribly sorry for this last-minute change, but made this decision to maintain a comfortable cruise and avoid adverse weather at the beginning of our journey. Please know, your safety is and always will be our top priority; it’s not something we’d ever jeopardize. Although sailing later than we originally planned, we’re looking forward to welcoming you aboard. Below, please find our new itinerary.

Image did not load.

While these circumstances are beyond our control, we understand they impact your vacation. To help make up for this unexpected change, we’re providing you with the following:

• A refund, which will be added to your Onboard Account as a refundable onboard credit. Plus, a Future Cruise Credit so that you can come back and sail with us.
    • Both amounts will be in the value of the 3 days your cruise was shortened by, and based on the total cruise fare paid, per person, non-inclusive of taxes and fees.
  • In addition, if you purchased an internet or beverage package, unlimited dining package, or pre-paid your gratuities, you’ll receive a prorated refund as a credit for the 3 days your cruise was shortened by to your Onboard Account.
  • Any pre-purchased Royal Caribbean International shore excursions for the impacted ports will also be refunded to your Onboard Account.

All credits applied to your Onboard Account can be used anywhere onboard, and any unused credits will be refunded back to your credit card on file about 3 – 5 business days after the sailing ends.

Please know, we’re currently working with some of our airline partners, as some have agreed to waive change fees for our guests due to this special circumstance. Unfortunately, if your airline does not waive the change fees, you’ll be responsible for any charges incurred.

While we hope you choose to sail with us, if you decide not to sail, we’ll provide you with: 

• A 100% Future Cruise Credit of your cruise fare paid, in hopes you’ll join us on another cruise vacation in the near future. You can expect to receive your Future Cruise Credit by email by Friday, September 20th, 2019.
  • You’ll also receive a full refund for any pre-purchased items like, shore excursions, beverage packages, pre-paid gratuities, and your taxes & fees. If you booked a non-refundable fare, fees will be waived.

We are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. Our guest’s and crew’s safety is our number one priority and while not the itinerary we originally anticipated, we know your time with us will be nothing short of amazing.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

7 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Stay safe.  Be prepared.  I am watching very closely too.  We have a home up the coast in Indian Harbour Beach, with the ocean across the street.  Like you said, "this should be interesting"

Stay safe and wishing your the best.

You too!  

I live on Brickell Ave in Miami overlooking the port and water up on the 43 floor of a high rise.  When they were reporting during Irma with Biscayne Bay going over they were right here so it's kind of freaking me out. I can see the port, the ocean and the bay so totally understand how you feel. 

Take care and please check in.

• Like 1

I still have fingers crossed for a Miami departure on Saturday.  If not, ship happens.  Thoughts to all those who will be far more affected by this storm.  Many people will have their homes destroyed,  and their lives altered because of Dorian. Many living in poor conditions to begin with. If the worse that happens to me is my vacation gets scrapped, I can deal with it.  Be safe everyone.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, txfeinbergs said:

Tracie, do you even have to call to "cancel"? I am not waiting on the phone for hours for this crap. I find it ridiculous that they chop 3 days off the cruise, only go to one crappy port, and won't refund your money "in the hopes you will go on a future cruise". What a shoddy business. Not happy with Royal Caribbean right now.

Sorry for the late response. I had to take a break from Dorian cause I was beyond upset, but then I put it into perspective that this is just a cruise that I can and will go on again, but there are those that do not even know if they will have a home in a few days. Dorian won this time, but she won’t ruin my families vacation! We are all booked and leave for Seattle in the early morning for the rest of the week. For everyone going to or in Florida please be safe. 

Last question, does anyone know how the

credits work? 

• Like 3

We would like to still go on our Harmony cruise departing Wednesday now but will ask RCL when we can decide for sure. I don’t like the forecast showing it will still be a Cat 1 storm near Orlando Wednesday morning. A bit worried about driving through that. And will the port be open if the storm is that close?

DBC70F48-E5B1-4EAE-8970-30E94636A490.jpeg

12 hours ago, Donoilman said:

MSC Seaside is arriving into port 1 day early in preparations for the port of Miami to be closed.  MSC will update on Friday as to the sailing of the Seaside on Saturday!!!  How likely will the port be closed so early?     

I think everyone is hopeful that ships can turn around Saturday... but they have to sail and have enough time to get clear of the storm not just get out of port.

10 hours ago, Juliaaay said:

I think code x-ray is now placed on all East Coast Florida ports! Honestly, it would be ridiculous if they didn't let us sail. It seems like our departure date is well before things get bad here! Also, as a Miamian, for all those who have arrived here for their cruises and are concerned about the current weather... This is nothing new in terms of intensity of thunderstorms, rain etc. We have had this weather most days for the past few weeks. No major storm necessary, it's just the season!

Condition X-Ray puts ships on notice they must be ready to sail at any time.... when they set condition Yankee that is the order to leave port.  Condition Zulu is port closed.

7 hours ago, txfeinbergs said:

This is the "port" of Labadee. It isn't even a port at all. It is basically a sand island with literally nothing on it owned by Royal Caribbean. 

image.thumb.png.306e3761db00fdee904cd590b3dfa917.png

I personally really enjoy a port day at Labadee. You can use it as a totally free beach day, with buffet lunch included. Or you can do excursions on the world’s longest overwater zip line, or the coaster, or rent wave runners, or hike all around, or shop in the local Haitian market, or relax in a shaded hammock....there are clean restrooms, several bars for labdoozies or your favorite beverage. Music, fire dance show, hair braiding..... it can be a very relaxing day or a very busy day, whatever you decide.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, 3redheads said:

We are flying in to Fort Lauderdale next Friday and sailing out of Miami next Saturday, the 7th.  I have no idea what to expect!  

Nothing on the horizon for tropical weather.  As long as the roads, hotels, and port are able to handle travelers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thrifty99 said:

We would like to still go on our Harmony cruise departing Wednesday now but will ask RCL when we can decide for sure. I don’t like the forecast showing it will still be a Cat 1 storm near Orlando Wednesday morning. A bit worried about driving through that. And will the port be open if the storm is that close?

Valid concern. Where are you driving from?  The roads may be closed from flooding (and be careful you aren't the first to find flooding.)  The port may not open Wednesday - here's what happens after a storm passes: The port and USCG have to re-survey the channels for depth and obstructions.  They have to clear sunken sailboats or debris.  The port buildings have to be inspected for safety - roofs, gantries, etc.  There has to be enough crew to show up to handle the cruise - people may be handling their homes or still returning from evacuation.  Lots to decide.  This is unprecedented.

Edited by PelicanBill