Help in Virgin Gorda or Beach Selection

ajtraveler66

We will be on the NCL Encore in February, and according to my research, that will be the only ship at port.

Here are some ship excursion options that we are considering.  Your input is much appreciated.  Also let me know what the port area is like... different things to do after we get back from our excursion.

1) Virgin Gorda Baths:  I've watched a video (24 minutues) of someone who took this excursion, and it just didn't appeal to me the way that I thought it would.  It appeared to me that things were very congested, and even though the rocks looked different ... I got a very claustrophobic feel about the entire event (lots of tight squeezes plus the congestion).  But if this is a must do for the other three in our party, then I will go with the flow.

2) Long Bay Beach, Beef Island:  This looked like it wouldn't be too bad.

3) Island Beach Break:  This looked okay, but it didn't specify a specific beach.

4) Jost Van Dyke:  This looked like it might be fun.  I see that they have a Soggy Dollar Bar.  But hopefully the beach wouldn't be overcrowded.  Since there is only one ship, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be too bad.

LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR INPUT.  We are open to other suggestions, but as a rule we prefer to do the cruise ship excursions.

First let us know if you are going with the flow or want other ideas. If you want other ideas what are your port times and date of arrival?

It’s a shame you prefer cruise line excursions but that’s ok, just limits your options...

We will be there from 8am until 5 pm on Thursday, February 13th.  I believe we are the only ship at port that day.

I've heard the gorda baths are nice.....but if it's guaranteed to be congested (see my initial post), my vote would be to do something else.  But if that's what the others want to do, that's fine.  [I have sort of been put in charge to do the excursion research for the group].  So, like I said...it the gorda baths are THE thing to do, then I'll go along with it if the others want to do it.

Well the Baths are unique and so a popular option. Going with the cruise line excursion you will indeed be there with the biggest crowd. Some in the crowd will go down the path to Devil’s Bay and take the “reverse” walk through the boulders, but that just creates a jam at some point. If you read previous threads you will find ideas on how to avoid the biggest crowd. But you really need to go on your own to succeed. There really is no reason not to go on your own as the ferries and taxis are very reliable. But I will leave that to you...

The other cruise line excursions are fine, White Bay on Jost is a nice short beach break from the Rebel Yell. We would just taxi to Brewers Bay or Cane Garden Bay on our own however, $8pp each way.

But since you are in charge do take some time to read up on going to VG on your own and using a taxi driver on VG to direct you to Savannah or Spring Bay until the main crowd thins out at the Baths. The driver will take care of you, and fares are reasonable ($5pp) between places in the Valley. Then stop for a bite and the views at Hog’s Heaven. Or have your driver drop you in Spanish Town after your day for a bite and a short walk back to the ferry...

Your friends will be very impressed with you with this DIY option, and you will have the best story to share at dinner!

21 hours ago, blue_water said:

But since you are in charge do take some time to read up on going to VG on your own and using a taxi driver on VG to direct you to Savannah or Spring Bay until the main crowd thins out at the Baths. The driver will take care of you, and fares are reasonable ($5pp) between places in the Valley. Then stop for a bite and the views at Hog’s Heaven. Or have your driver drop you in Spanish Town after your day for a bite and a short walk back to the ferry...

Your friends will be very impressed with you with this DIY option, and you will have the best story to share at dinner!

I do understand if you prefer taking a cruise ship excursion too. Just throwing this out there as an easy DIY alternative that can make everyone’s day a bit more memorable than the group option...

If you can get a group together of 8-10 people Ocean Magic Mitch has a great private boat tour to several locations including Jost Van Dyke. We did this last fall and it was awesome. Cost the same as cruise ship tour but small private group. More time where you really want to spend it. Had the boat with driver and shipmate for 7 1/2 hours total. Transportation included. Would highly recommend him and will definitely go with him net time in Tortola.