Need Advise on foliage and weather please

suni

Looking to cruise to see the leaves. Several lines go as early as 9/11/20. Is that to early to enjoy the beauty of the foliage? I prefer warmer weather, so waiting for October concerns me that it may be too chilly. Thoughts?

Times vary by year depending on weather conditions during the spring and summer. IWhat ports are you considering? The further north you go, the earlier the changes. But a port like Boston would not matter, but Bar Harbor would be great.

9/11 is too early for most of New England.

You can google "Foliage Calendar" to see recent year foliage Maps (I like the ones at Yankee Magazine).  Year to year the "peak" dates can vary by up to 2 weeks or more, so it's as much an art as a science to predict where the leaves will be best even 1 month in advance.

Watch this year's map to compare it to prior years to see this in action

I am on the Snowbird Migration cruise.  Oct 5-20 [Quebec City to FLL]  A member of our roll call posted a map of the average peak foliage dates.  It showed we are during the average peak--but, who knows about this year.

The only other Canada /New England cruise we took began on Sept 25 a few years ago.  [Boston, Bar Harbor, Saint John, etc]  We did not see any color.  [a tree or 2 had changed] YMMV

I am on a Canada/New England cruise next month.  From the research I did, it appears peak leaf color occurs in mid-October.  However, this will vary from year to year depending on local weather conditions.  In short, even if you pick an October cruise you may miss peak color.

I ultimately decided to forgo the leaf change all together due to falling temperatures.  The average highs in the Northeast ports in October is mid-50's to low 60's.  Too chilly for us.  September temps are about 10-12 degrees warmer.

Hope this helps....