Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

43 minutes ago, mariavii said:

As a former Bostonian (and North End resident)...avoid Mikes and go to Modern Pastry.  Avoid Hook and go to Yankee Lobster (not far from Cruise Terminal).  And try some fresh bread from the Pannettiera behind Bricco.  Grab a Drink at Drink (in the seaport) and back in the North end, grab some Oysters at Neptune Oyster.

Good Grief!  How big do you want me to get??🤣

Greetings from Viking Orion somewhere in the Yellow Sea between Qingdao and Shanghai!  Glad y’all are having a good cruise and that we are too. 

Question for “youse guys” (you’ll be in NY soon). Have you noticed a dip in the food quality?  While still quite good, none of the fish dishes have been nearly as good as they were during our Spring 2018 and 2019 TAs. We are hoping it is perhaps just being from a different supplier here in Asia, but that doesn’t explain the fish being  over cooked.  

Edited by Clay Clayton

Something is missing here.....  Right, where are Tom's Boston pictures??  I know you have some great shots Tom.  And hello Clay on the Orion.  We were discussing this topic just last night.  We think the food is noticeably better than on the Inaugural WC.  Especially the fish. DW is the fishy one and always enjoyed the salmon on board but now eats most offerings and says they are done nicely.  The lobster is also noticeably better and offered on more occasions.  I like shrimp and was not overly impressed last year but have very much enjoyed the Tiger Prawns appetizer this trip.   All this is, of course, our opinion.  Others might think otherwise. 😎

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Something is missing here.....  Right, where are Tom's Boston pictures??  I know you have some great shots Tom.  And hello Clay on the Orion.  We were discussing this topic just last night.  We think the food is noticeably better than on the Inaugural WC.  Especially the fish. DW is the fishy one and always enjoyed the salmon on board but now eats most offerings and says they are done nicely.  The lobster is also noticeably better and offered on more occasions.  I like shrimp and was not overly impressed last year but have very much enjoyed the Tiger Prawns appetizer this trip.   All this is, of course, our opinion.  Others might think otherwise. 😎

Thanks Jim!

I will keep fingers crossed that it is the Asian supplier (and perhaps a one, ahem two-off that the fish was over cooked and dry) and hope that future cruises will have better food. 

• Like 1

Great Boston pictures and foodie recommendations! We have a full week scheduled in Boston next May.  I noticed on a FB site that one of the BostonByFoot docents was a tour guide for one of your Viking excursions.  I am checking out their tours. Anyone know anything about them?

3 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

They had to lower (tilt over) its mast for the bridges. 

Thanks for that info Tom, I was afraid the wind had blown it off its mounting.  Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow.  Thanks for all the great photos.  Bob

On 10/8/2019 at 6:07 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks Jim!

I will keep fingers crossed that it is the Asian supplier (and perhaps a one, ahem two-off that the fish was over cooked and dry) and hope that future cruises will have better food. 

The chefs appreciate it when we tell them something is not right with the food...too salty, overcooked, whatever....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, georose said:

The chefs appreciate it when we tell them something is not right with the food...too salty, overcooked, whatever....

Agree. I mentioned to the Chef de Partie the other day that the breakfast mushrooms were way too salty (and I like salty) and he thanked me. He said he would remind staff that they need to taste each dish before putting it out. #IWantThatJob

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Agree. I mentioned to the Chef de Partie the other day that the breakfast mushrooms were way too salty (and I like salty) and he thanked me. He said he would remind staff that they need to taste each dish before putting it out. #IWantThatJob

Get in line Clay.     I have had my name down for the Food Taster Job on Viking Ocean for 3 years.   Still waiting to be called up 😂😂

Rod 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Second day in NYC and also turnaround day.  We have already met BobinCT and Rasputin so this segment looks to have more CC participants.  Hope y'all chip in here with your adventures.  Today is beautiful though rather windy from the NorEaster type storm in the Atlantic off Boston and heavy rain is forecast for tomorrow.  Yesterday was a raw, rainy and windy day so we tried going out but cancelled that.  Last night the rain stopped and we had some good friends from the Inaugural WC meet for drinks and dinner.  Today is good for getting about and, as we have been to NYC many times and have seen all the must see sights, we did something I have never done.  I ran ships in and around the harbor area for two years but finally walked down a couple of blocks and got on the Circle Line boat to circumnavigate Manhattan.  It was an interesting ride with close up views of the Statue of Liberty but due to unusually high tides we were unable to transit the Harlem River.  Still an interesting trip.  After the boat ride we walked into town a bit to the Landmark Tavern for a sandwich and a beer.  Great corned beef sandwiches but the most amazing thing is we sat at a table next to the Viking Sun's Chief Engineer off on holiday with his family.  He saw my Viking jacket and introduced himself.  Small world.  He is back onboard in Recife.   Hoping the storm moves off to the North East by the time we sail at 6pm tomorrow or we shall have a bumpy ride to Bermuda.  One day it will get sunny and warm with calm seas....😎

• Like 1

Last day in NYC and the forecast heavy rains have not shown up yet.  The storm offshore has been intensifying a bit and I am sure the officers are watching closely.  They don't want a rough passage anymore than the rest of us.   We have met several of our new fellow passengers and it looks like a lively bunch.  And wonder of wonders, us in transit passengers have been given the option to skip the emergency drill.  Thanks Viking since we just did it 10 days ago.  More later.

On 10/8/2019 at 6:26 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Greetings from Viking Orion somewhere in the Yellow Sea between Qingdao and Shanghai!  Glad y’all are having a good cruise and that we are too. 

Question for “youse guys” (you’ll be in NY soon). Have you noticed a dip in the food quality?  While still quite good, none of the fish dishes have been nearly as good as they were during our Spring 2018 and 2019 TAs. We are hoping it is perhaps just being from a different supplier here in Asia, but that doesn’t explain the fish being  over cooked.  

We just got off the Viking Sea and I thought the opposite.  I enjoyed the food more on this cruise than on our cruise on the Sea last year. The food last year was very good, this year I thought it was excellent!  We did Routes de Indes at the Chef’s Table and it was indescribably delectable!  I lack sufficient vocabulary to describe it. 

I have also found the fish to be much better - and I’m a fish eater!  Perhaps it was the difference between the Caribbean and the North Atlantic catches.   The cod I selected from the World Cafe for lunch in Boston was fantastic even though it was stone cold because they opened the pool roof a bit, then sunny turned to cloudy and windy ☹️  And though I’m a NYC pizza snob, I found the pizza on the ship excellent!

The only meal I can’t rave about was our second in Manfredi’s and it was kind of a minor nit. I decided to try the veal, and while it was tender and tasty, it needed more sauce and wasn’t visually appealing. The sea bass, I had the first visit was amazing!

My husband did note that the tea scones were smaller 😆. It’s the one thing I preferred on Azamara. I know sacrilege!

Edited by Cyber Kat

Here's hoping the. World Cruisers will join us segmenters at the Meet & Mingle today at 5:30 PM in the Wintergarden Lounge.  I also hope everyone remembers the time change at 2 PM today so you don't miss it!  CTBob

Tom - Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos and Jim please thank your wife for the photo of Lady Liberty.  I saw it from the Restaurant but didn't have my camera.

Left the Sun in NYC and miss her already. We spent more time on the Sun this year - 2019 World Cruise Jan-May and the London to NYC Segment of the Ultimate WC - than at home. You all have fun on the rest of the WC & segments. Another picture of the statue of liberty.

20170915 New York City  (47).JPG

• Like 2