Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

2 hours ago, NY Nick said:

Outstanding, thanks.

Dave

Understand, Dave, that sometimes the webcam is out, and often when the ship is at higher latitudes (like the current Sun trip).

Note:  you can also view the other newer ships by substituting the ship name 'sun" for 'jupiter' or 'orion' in the URL

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Understand, Dave, that sometimes the webcam is out, and often when the ship is at higher latitudes (like the current Sun trip)

Thanks, been playing with the live views ever since we booked mid 2108.  See you guys in CA. 🛥️ 😊

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Understand, Dave, that sometimes the webcam is out, and often when the ship is at higher latitudes (like the current Sun trip).

Note:  you can also view the other newer ships by substituting the ship name 'sun" for 'jupiter' or 'orion' in the URL

It may happen again in the lower lattitudes.  Was following the Sun Panomax earlier this year as she went around the Southern tip of SA for the first time and there was no camera in the Falklands to Ushuaia.

I've seen the lights a couple of hours north of Toronto in mid September... sooooo... 🙂

Never say never... 

And I still think if you zoom in behind the obvious ship lights... but it could be green light reflecting in steam or smoke.

Edited by Liz Masterson

20 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

It may happen again in the lower lattitudes.  Was following the Sun Panomax earlier this year as she went around the Southern tip of SA for the first time and there was no camera in the Falklands to Ushuaia.

This may have been due to the weather.  We had high winds and the captain had us leave the Falklands a day early.  The tender boats that day had a terrible time, and winds of 40 knots were predicted for the next day, so once everyone was back on board, we left around 8 pm.  I don’t know if the winds could knock out the camera, but that is what was happening on the days you reference,

There was a sighting of the aurora/northern lights last week, so perhaps you did see it on the webcam. The resident astronomer has been holding nightly sessions on deck 9 to spot the aurora. While we are a bit south, it’s still possible.

Sunset tonight, which lasted 30 minutes:

701CB56A-1302-445D-B076-CF1884688236.jpeg

Edited by OceanPatter
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, OceanPatter said:

There was a sighting of the aurora/northern lights last week, so perhaps you did see it on the webcam. The resident astronomer has been holding nightly sessions on deck 9 to spot the aurora. While we are a bit south, it’s still possible.

Sunset tonight, which lasted 30 minutes:

701CB56A-1302-445D-B076-CF1884688236.jpeg

OP,  the sunset is out of this world!

Thank you for sharing...

3 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I've seen the lights a couple of hours north of Toronto in mid September... sooooo... 🙂

Never say never... 

And I still think if you zoom in behind the obvious ship lights... but it could be green light reflecting in steam or smoke.

I do see the hazy green but figure it's the ship's lights.

I have seen the Northern Lights in the middle of Wisconsin and the Boundry Waters area of Minnesota on cross country ski trips.  But that was winter.

Thanks OP for posting that beautiful sunset shot.  It really was a beautiful day for a change.  After all the gloom, rain and fog this region we have crossed is famous for, the sunshine, blue sky, and puffy clouds was great.  It seemed most everyone had a little lift out of the day.  Sort of reminded me of the sky at the opening of the Simpsons...😎  Someone who went ashore at L'anse Aux Meadows will hopefully weigh in with their experiences as we decided on a "Spa Day" for us.  The spa facility onboard is as nice as any seen on any ship and, surprisingly, not used all that much.  Might be its hidden location.  Today is a sea day heading into the St. Lawrence Seaway enroute to Quebec City and Montreal.  Two beautiful cities I am looking forward to exploring.  Now if I can just change Norwegian Kroner for Canadian Dollars....  Hey, a question for our Canadian friends.  While anchored in Canadian waters the crew were allowed to have open only one bar per deck.  Does anyone know or understand the reasoning for such a rule?  This only affected 7 deck as the only bar open was Aquavit all the way aft.  It was still possible for anyone to get a drink anytime they wanted but it did put extra work on the crew as someone ordering a drink in Explorers meant sending a crew member aft to Aquavit to get it.  I can usually follow bureaucrats sometimes twisted reasoning for various laws but for the life of me I cannot make any sense of this bizarre rule.  Seems to be a rule made by someone just because they can.  Any enlightenment?

Jim - never heard or experienced such a ridiculous requirement. Doesn't happen in Vancouver Harbour, so assumption would be a local Provincial (Newfoundland) requirement.

In previous ports we have experienced complete closure & being charged tax on any drinks, but never limiting the number of bars open per deck. Think you described it perfectly - bizarre.

From this website:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/cscp-pdnc-eng.html

Liquor outlets and bars must be closed while in port. Under no circumstances should liquor be given or sold to visiting Canadian residents, shore personnel, or stevedoring personnel while the ship is in port.

While in port, one bar per 1,000 passengers, or one bar per deck that provides hospitality services (whichever is greater), may be allowed to remain open. For example, if there are four decks providing hospitality services, four bars may be allowed to remain open.

A letter requesting permission to open bars must be submitted to the FPOA inbox at the beginning of the season. This letter must include the bar location, the time it will be open, and, once suitably endorsed by the CBSA, will act as standing authority to open these bars, while in port, for the entire season. For any amendments to the original request, or if special circumstances exist that require additional bars to be open, another letter must be submitted to the CBSA.

The CBSA will conduct spot checks to ensure compliance and this privilege will be revoked if any bar is open without permission or if any Canadian resident visitor, shore personnel, or stevedoring personnel is served in a bar. In addition, monetary penalties may be assessed to the cruise line.

19 minutes ago, millybess said:

From this website:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/cscp-pdnc-eng.html

Liquor outlets and bars must be closed while in port. Under no circumstances should liquor be given or sold to visiting Canadian residents, shore personnel, or stevedoring personnel while the ship is in port.

While in port, one bar per 1,000 passengers, or one bar per deck that provides hospitality services (whichever is greater), may be allowed to remain open. For example, if there are four decks providing hospitality services, four bars may be allowed to remain open.

A letter requesting permission to open bars must be submitted to the FPOA inbox at the beginning of the season. This letter must include the bar location, the time it will be open, and, once suitably endorsed by the CBSA, will act as standing authority to open these bars, while in port, for the entire season. For any amendments to the original request, or if special circumstances exist that require additional bars to be open, another letter must be submitted to the CBSA.

The CBSA will conduct spot checks to ensure compliance and this privilege will be revoked if any bar is open without permission or if any Canadian resident visitor, shore personnel, or stevedoring personnel is served in a bar. In addition, monetary penalties may be assessed to the cruise line.

Thanks millybess - I’d never have thought this was the case, or found the info. The only sad logic I can come up with is a desire to drive passengers onto shore to enrich the local pubs, but that seems unlikely for the Feds!

i too thought it might be a provincial anomaly, but Newfoundland would have been my last choice for restrictive liquor laws!

Maybe we can make this a key issue in our current federal election, and restore our reputations as great hosts 😈

Thanks again for researching this. 🥌🍻🇨🇦

7 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Thanks millybess - I’d never have thought this was the case, or found the info. The only sad logic I can come up with is a desire to drive passengers onto shore to enrich the local pubs, but that seems unlikely for the Feds!

i too thought it might be a provincial anomaly, but Newfoundland would have been my last choice for restrictive liquor laws!

Maybe we can make this a key issue in our current federal election, and restore our reputations as great hosts 😈

Cui bono (follow the money trail), or modified temperance?

Answers to “Name that Fjord “

1. Norway, Aurlandsfjord, Flåm
  2. New Zealand, Milford Sound, Fjordland National Park (enjoying some Bergen-like weather)
  3. Svalbard, Magdalene Fjord, North of Ny Alesund
  4. Chile, Chilean Fjords,  NW of Punta Arenas
  5. Norway, Hardangerfjord, near Eidfjord
  6. Australia, Tasman Island, Tasmania ( the “Organ Pipes” - OK, not really a fjord, but close to River Derwent and Hobart, plus it’s one of my favourites)

Nothing from Alaska, as we’ve not been there yet, to be rectified in spring 2021 on Orion. Cheers 🥌 

I presume you have an overnight in Montreal since it's probably a turnaround day?

If so, consider trying this show, at the  Notre Dame Basilica, which is in Old Montreal and thus hopefully close to where you'll dock (unless you have the misfortunate to be docked upriver): https://www.aurabasiliquemontreal.com/en/

It's a sound and light show, lighting up the interior of the church at night.  Very impressive.

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Haha!  Cheers Curler Rob🍷  I think you are correct on all of your points.👿

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Thanks OP for posting that beautiful sunset shot.  It really was a beautiful day for a change.  After all the gloom, rain and fog this region we have crossed is famous for, the sunshine, blue sky, and puffy clouds was great.  It seemed most everyone had a little lift out of the day.  Sort of reminded me of the sky at the opening of the Simpsons...😎  Someone who went ashore at L'anse Aux Meadows will hopefully weigh in with their experiences as we decided on a "Spa Day" for us.  The spa facility onboard is as nice as any seen on any ship and, surprisingly, not used all that much.  Might be its hidden location.  Today is a sea day heading into the St. Lawrence Seaway enroute to Quebec City and Montreal.  Two beautiful cities I am looking forward to exploring.  Now if I can just change Norwegian Kroner for Canadian Dollars....  Hey, a question for our Canadian friends.  While anchored in Canadian waters the crew were allowed to have open only one bar per deck.  Does anyone know or understand the reasoning for such a rule?  This only affected 7 deck as the only bar open was Aquavit all the way aft.  It was still possible for anyone to get a drink anytime they wanted but it did put extra work on the crew as someone ordering a drink in Explorers meant sending a crew member aft to Aquavit to get it.  I can usually follow bureaucrats sometimes twisted reasoning for various laws but for the life of me I cannot make any sense of this bizarre rule.  Seems to be a rule made by someone just because they can.  Any enlightenment?

Sorry, I cannot explain the province of Quebec.  They seem to have their own rules.  

36 minutes ago, OceanPatter said:

In contrast to CurlerRob’s Name that Fjord, can you name the drinks below:

4F84B187-BD2C-49D1-88D7-4FA44B261BA6.jpeg

This is a cruel challenge for a beer drinker!

Wild guesses - Long Is Iced Tea, or an odd-looking Cuba Libre; Campari and soda; something sadly empty that may have been a Manhattan; and a martini - no idea if gin or vodka, but I’m sure it was shaken, not stirred 😎 🥌

• Like 1