Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cruisinmama!

Maya Key or Sloths?

Recommended Posts

We will be traveling on RCCL Harmony with two kids ages 6 and 8:  They are both obsessed with wildlife and they are also all about the beach.  We are considering doing the Maya Key Excursion but also know the boys’ minds would be blown at actually getting to touch a sloth and monkeys, which seems like more of a once in a lifetime sort of adventure.  So we are having a very tough time deciding. We also considered doing one of the private tours but there are 2 other ships in port that day evidently so we are worried it will be super crowded at the beaches we could get to that way.

 

Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences on which would be better would be very much appreciated.  Is there any way to do both in one day?

 

Thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't talk to you about the sloths, unfortunately.

 

For Maya Key - You'll be docked at Mahogany Bay, which means you're a short 5 minute or less boat ride from the port in case one or both of the kiddos decides they are DONE and need a nap.  Boat shuttles run every 30 minutes or so between Maya Key and the port.  Easy peasy.

 

There's lots of things to do on Maya Key.  The beach, plenty of beach loungers, some really excellent snorkeling once you get to the drop off (all guided from my one experience), a rather interesting Mayan replica area with small museum type area inside, and quite a few rescue animals on the island.  No sloths that I remember, but they do have a number of monkeys (and big cats!).  Also, there's a free afternoon session where people can go into the monkey enclosure and let the monkeys climb all over you (you know, "hold" the monkeys... yeah right).  A buffet lunch was included which my picky kids were fine with the offerings, and there's a pool as well, though we never visited it.

 

We really enjoyed Maya Key.  Personally, I'd say you wouldn't go wrong if you chose it.  Of course, others may say the same about a sloth-oriented experience as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, LeesaB said:

Can't talk to you about the sloths, unfortunately.

 

For Maya Key - You'll be docked at Mahogany Bay, which means you're a short 5 minute or less boat ride from the port in case one or both of the kiddos decides they are DONE and need a nap.  Boat shuttles run every 30 minutes or so between Maya Key and the port.  Easy peasy.

 

There's lots of things to do on Maya Key.  The beach, plenty of beach loungers, some really excellent snorkeling once you get to the drop off (all guided from my one experience), a rather interesting Mayan replica area with small museum type area inside, and quite a few rescue animals on the island.  No sloths that I remember, but they do have a number of monkeys (and big cats!).  Also, there's a free afternoon session where people can go into the monkey enclosure and let the monkeys climb all over you (you know, "hold" the monkeys... yeah right).  A buffet lunch was included which my picky kids were fine with the offerings, and there's a pool as well, though we never visited it.

 

We really enjoyed Maya Key.  Personally, I'd say you wouldn't go wrong if you chose it.  Of course, others may say the same about a sloth-oriented experience as well.

WE are doing this one on our November 2019 cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Maya Key truly only 5mins from Mahogany Bay?  I know it is very close the the Coxen Hole Port but thought it is a far bit farther from Mahogany Bay. Of couse via water maybe a much different proposition than via the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

Is Maya Key truly only 5mins from Mahogany Bay?  I know it is very close the the Coxen Hole Port but thought it is a far bit farther from Mahogany Bay. Of couse via water maybe a much different proposition than via the road. 


OP is on RCCL Harmony and will dock at Coxen Hole. The transfer would be a very simple water taxi from within the port area.

 

I agree trip from Mahogany is probably longer but I have never docked there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:


OP is on RCCL Harmony and will dock at Coxen Hole. The transfer would be a very simple water taxi from within the port area.

 

I agree trip from Mahogany is probably longer but I have never docked there.

 

Thank You, I was confusd by post #2. I should have thought harder about it.  :0) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...