Fall in New England Cruise

bfloluci2

16 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

We're thinking about booking the Adventure for the September 24th for a Fall season cruise out of Bayonne, NJ.  Typically speaking, would the fall foilage to be full effect by this time frame? 

If you're going to Canada, the foliage should be pretty good up there.

8 hours ago, little britain said:

No, Kennebunkport is dumped in favour of seeing a 🍁... any 🍂 leaf!

Be aware that North Conway is very commercial and well known for its hundreds of outlet stores. Also it's not a particularly nice drive from Portland.

What are the ports on the cruise?

1 hour ago, Susan in Maine said:

Be aware that North Conway is very commercial and well known for its hundreds of outlet stores. Also it's not a particularly nice drive from Portland.

What are the ports on the cruise?

You had me at Outlet Mall......!   Sadly I don't think we will have time.

Planned the drive up - only looks like 60 miles via Babbs Bridge, the bridge at Fryeburg and then one at Saco River.   Looks like a pretty drive?  There has got to be some leaves somewhere!  Remember we're from England and ever since Bridges of Madison Country I have longed to see a covered bridge... and I get 3 in one day.

Other ports: Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax (we also have a car here to drive to Luneberg), St John NB, 

Edited by little britain

You are far more likely to see foliage  in Halifax and St. John than you are at North Conway. There are great outlet stores in North Conway and NH doesn't have a sales tax. Best case scenario it's 1.5 - 2 hours to North Conway.

Portland's Old Port is a wonderful place to walk around, shop, and eat. Portland is known as a real "foodie" city. Freeport is fun as well. Lots of outlet stores AND the LL Bean Flagship store. There you could outfit an expedition to the arctic or just find some wonderful sweaters.  It has a small fishpond inside and more fun stuff. Freeport also has some great places to eat.

To me Kennebunk is overrated and pretty crowded. Most of us "natives" don't go there during tourist season.

If you go to Acadia National Park while you're in Bar Harbor (a beautiful town, BTW), take some time to walk on the rocks. You'll get dropped off at someplace like Thunder Hole and it will seem pretty crowded. Walk on the rocks either to the left or the right a couple of hundred yards. There will be a lot fewer people and the views are spectacular.

I've lived in Maine my whole life (so far) and love sharing my beautiful state with visitors. If you have any other questions, please let me know!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

I booked Kennebunkport and scenic cruise.  Is this a waste of time for Portland?

FROM RC Day planner:

Enjoy beautiful views of Maine's famous rocky coastline, a scenic ride to Kennebunkport and a relaxing 50 minute cruise. 

Kennebunkport is a pretty town with some nice little stores.  The Bush Family compound makes it a big tourist area.  I wouldn't call it a waste to do a cruise from Portland if you are interested in seeing the coast.  I live about 1 1/2 hr from there and my DH and I go for lunch if we are just looking to do a short day trip.  If I was renting a car and looking for foliage, I don't think that is where I would head.  If I was just looking to have a little cruise of the area, it is not a bad stop.

add link:  https://www.visitmaine.net/page/91/kennebunkport

Edited by reallyitsmema

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Kennebunkport is a pretty town with some nice little stores.  The Bush Family compound makes it a big tourist area.  I wouldn't call it a waste to do a cruise from Portland if you are interested in seeing the coast.  I live about 1 1/2 hr from there and my DH and I go for lunch if we are just looking to do a short day trip.  If I was renting a car and looking for foliage, I don't think that is where I would head.  If I was just looking to have a little cruise of the area, it is not a bad stop.

Great. Ok. We leave Friday on Adventure for 21 days.  We are in Portland for three of the days.  Have excursions booked all three days and this was one of them.  Thank you!   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I agree with Susan.  The other thing to consider is looking at your posts, you are going to be in the area the first weekend of the Fryeburg Fair.  Traffic in that area will be heavy, so allow for extra time.

Thanks for that info.  It looks amazing. Genuinely American! Shame we won’t have time. 

So, can I ask, if we drive up on the 26 + 16 from Portland straight to Conway, and then go back via Hiram on 113 we would miss Fryeburg?  Would that work?  Thanks.

Edited by little britain
Ps; we are used to single lane roads!