Seabourn Ovation laundry soap plus other question

journeys0404

The laundry soap is complimentary.  Water is available for excursions.  A new development is refillable water bottles.  Some prefer to bring their own refillable water bottles I've read because they think the provided ones are too heavy. 

No lanyards.  You are given an ID card that you need to present when you leave the ship at a port and when you return.  You also need to take it with you for muster drills.  

You do not need your ID card for dining on the ship and at bars or shows or other events.  It is your key for your room, so you need to carry it with you, but will not be showing it around the ship for normal everyday activities--since everything is included.  Thus, no need to wear it around your neck.  

• Like 1

I found the self serve laundry room on the Ovation to be a great convenience.   We like to travel a light & doing a bit of laundry on occasion is not too much trouble for me.   Besides.....you meet the nicest people.  The room is well stocked with free detergent, steamers & ironing boards.  It can get busy,  but I usually use the timer on my phone so that I return to the laundry on time as to not tie up the machines.  I also try to pack lots of quick dry clothes.....no heavy cottons etc.....saves lots of time.  Enjoy the Ovation....we loved it. 

Edited by cece50
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, seacruiser123 said:

What does a refillable bottle mean? They are still giving you bottles of water when you disembark at each port correct? We don’t want a refillable one at all. 

Cruise ships generate many millions of waste plastic bottles every year, roughly three-quarters of which end up going to landfills. Almost every cruise line has pledged to eliminate single-use plastic bottles. Several, including Seabourn, are using a system from Vero which features bottles designed to be light weight and safely dishwasher cleaned indefinitely and a water purification system that produces consistent and good tasting still and sparkling water. So whether you want it or not, reusable water bottles are coming to cruise ships everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Cruise ships generate many millions of waste plastic bottles every year, roughly three-quarters of which end up going to landfills. Almost every cruise line has pledged to eliminate single-use plastic bottles. Several, including Seabourn, are using a system from Vero which features bottles designed to be light weight and safely dishwasher cleaned indefinitely and a water purification system that produces consistent and good tasting still and sparkling water. So whether you want it or not, reusable water bottles are coming to cruise ships everywhere.

We simply asked a question...didn’t ask for a lecture instead. We have been on a cruise with Vero water (which was awful tasting by the way) but they didn’t make us carry around a bottle all day either or make us refill it. It was a choice. That was what we found puzzling calling it a refillable bottle. Thank you for your time and input.

Edited by seacruiser123
  • Like 1

@seacruiser123 I'm sorry you took my short reply as a "lecture"; I was trying to answer your question: "what does a refillable bottle mean." Refillable bottles are designed to be able to be commercially washed and reused indefinitely, unlike single-use disposable bottles which cannot be effectively reused.

You wrote: "We don't want a refillable one at all" and I was trying to explain that I believe you will not have a choice at some point. I haven't seen a definitive statement from Seabourn (or Carnival), but many other cruise lines have said they are eliminating single use disposable bottles entirely. Regent, for instance, has stated they are in the process of switching to Vero in a two phase implementation: phase one replaces disposable bottles in suites, restaurants, lounges and bars, and phase two will replace disposable bottles with reusable Vero bottles for passengers to use when they go ashore. (Here's an article about Regent making the switch. Here's one about Oceania eliminating single use bottles. Here's one about Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara doing the same.)

Seabourn has been using a system from Nordaq to produce their onboard water for the past three years. Posts from Seabourn passengers this summer indicated that the reusable bottles were in suites…

On 7/9/2019 at 5:57 AM, Cruise Beach said:

Onboard now, and yes plastic water bottle are going👍. They now have refillable bottles in the suite, refilled daily by stewardess. They're using the Nordaq water filtration system, and I must say, I am a bottled water fan!, but this water actually tasted very good, pure and no irony taste. 

… but disposable bottles were still available when leaving the ship. If Seabourn is doing like the other cruise lines, there will likely follow a next phase where the disposable bottles at the gangway disappear. 

I hope by citing more information, that's more helpful than my previous reply.

I am all for “saving the planet”...... but there are some places where single use plastic bottles are good.   Countries and some cities where the water source is questionable, of course.  As for airplanes & cruise ships.....Who monitors and regulates the water systems inside these self contained places.   Legionnaires disease come to mind.....albeit it came from air conditioning.....but it makes me pause nonetheless.  We usually drink tap water in most cities & towns in the US unless bottled water is called for.    Hate plastic bottles as much as the next person.....I swear we should own stock in Yetti....but on my cruise, I might want the peace of mind of my Fiji😎