Later boarding and Princess transfer

Eskylady

Hello there!

Since you have been generous with your cruise insights and information I was hoping to ask your help once again.  

I am cruising October 8th on Crown Princess. My flight arrives at 10:11 and boarding is delayed until 2. Normally I prefer Lyft or Uber to get vacation started easily and early, but in this case not an option. Would Princess transfers make sense in this situation? The website really doesn't specify what is included. Is it just a ride? Do they deal with your luggage or do you keep it in your care once you've claimed it from the carousel? Multiple Princess ships passengers in one vehicle? Much chance of MIA luggage? Four hours on a bus waiting? Any idea how this works? 

Thanks for any responses. 

Ft. Lauderdale is your embarkation port? If so, still do a private transfer to the port. Priness transfers are done by motorcoach, passengers are not mixed, the coach is for a specific ship. You get your checked luggage at baggage claim and follow the instructions for having it loaded on the coach. After that, you won't have to deal with it, it will be delivered to your stateroom. As far as waiting, they may take you to the pier, or to a lounge (think banquet space) at a hotel to wait for onward transfer to the pier. 

Hope that helps.

You say that boarding is delayed until 2.  Is that when you can start boarding.  When is sail away or in other words, what time do you have to be on board by.  Also, where are you sailing from and where are you flying from.  Are your flights non-stop or do you have to change planes.  We need a lot more information from you before we can tell you if your proposed travel plans make any sense.

DON

6 hours ago, Eskylady said:

Hello there!

Since you have been generous with your cruise insights and information I was hoping to ask your help once again.  

I am cruising October 8th on Crown Princess. My flight arrives at 10:11 and boarding is delayed until 2.

The Crown is arriving from Europe and has been out of the U.S. for the summer season. When this occurs there are more intense Coast Guard and immigration, crew, inspections. New passenger boarding is delayed.

Normally I prefer Lyft or Uber to get vacation started easily and early, but in this case not an option. Would Princess transfers make sense in this situation? The website really doesn't specify what is included. Is it just a ride? Do they deal with your luggage or do you keep it in your care once you've claimed it from the carousel? Multiple Princess ships passengers in one vehicle? Much chance of MIA luggage? Four hours on a bus waiting? Any idea how this works? Thanks for any responses.

I would not take a Princess transfer.  If taken the transfer would most likely either place you on the bus where you will wait for hours, or they might take you to a hotel to wait. You most likely would not arrive at the pier until close to 2pm. With a Princess transfer you have to pick up your luggage at the carousel and bring it to the bus. It is then loaded into the undercarriage. It would probably be delivered directly to your cabin from the bus. Unlikely luggage will be lost once you place it on the bus. There is only one Princess ship in port that day, so multiple ships, no.

I would consider taking your Uber to the pier and dropping off your luggage with the porters. Of course keep your important carry ons with you. Your ship will most likely be at pier 2 since the Crown is the only Princess ship in port. From pier 2 it is an easy walk up SE 17th street where you can have some lunch, shop for wine at Total Wine, shop in Publix for any other items or just walk around. You can then walk back to the pier around 1pm and wait there until boarding begins.  

Note: The Harbor Cafe in the corner of South Harbor Plaza is a luncheonette. Not fancy, but just the place for coffee and a sandwich. There are other places along SE 17th St. as well. Google Maps can guide you.

Once you drop off your luggage you might consider taking the same car to the beach area. There are plenty of places to have lunch and lots of room to stroll along the promenade. There are basically no stores for supplies along the beach like there are on SE 17th St.

See above

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1