Mini Review Joy Alaska without Haven Restaurant

valleyvillage

Yes, this will be mini!

The cruise was terrific. Ayelen was concierge and Gretel the assistant. Both were so helpful and eager to please. They even arranged for a pool lift for the haven pool, just in case for the first time I tried the steps. Hooray, I could handle the steps! The design of the steps was quite helpful.

Having the Haven Restaurant in Cagney's meant more steps, so that was good for me and my walker. 

It was easy to walk the upper deck 17 (weather permitting, which was almost every day) and then take the elevator down to 8. The staff was first-rate, ready to make our cruise even more special.

The fitness center is good, with the usual problem: 4 bikes (two recumbent two regular) and a slew of empty treadmills. Why? Always had to wait for a bike. So I just waited, mulling over the decision to have so few bikes (same number on Star with far fewer pax) and so many treadmills. It was a one-sided existential conversation. Not much was resolved in my ruminations.

We did one excursion, the Skagway Streetcar which was a highlight of the whole cruise. One little problem: I was promised a wheelchair to a golf cart to a bus for the tour. About half way to the bus the golf cart driver informed me with a shrug "This is as far as I go." WTH? Luckily I had brought my cane and just barely made it to the staging area for the tour. But I did get a lot of surprise steps!

I'm happy to answer any questions!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Did you venture into any specialty restaurants? 

We ate at a specialty every night. We had the 3 meal package that came with the fare, two platinum dinners. We planned on eating dinner in the Haven Restaurant the other two nights. But, because of the closure, NCL provided extra specialty meals. We ate at all of them except Teppanyaki and Food Republic. We did Ocean Blue and Le Bistro twice and La Cucina, Q, and Cagney's. Enjoyed them all, each one a bit different. I'm a vegetarian so I just did sides at Q, which were yummy. Cagney's made me a terrific linguine with pesto and Ocean Blue has a Cauliflower Steak made with Ras el Hanout! Quite and exotic spice blend. Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

What a nice review.  Thanks. Glad to hear it was terrific, and nice to know the Skagway Steetcar is good. 

I was on the Joy a week before you and agree - all of the speciality restaurants are quite special.  The crew and waiters on the Joy are fantastic. 

15 hours ago, jgreenwo17 said:

I hear they are remodeling the galley for the Haven.  I hope it is functional on my upcoming Panama Canal cruise in 40 days.

(Assuming by bids for the Haven pan out).  

I am on this same cruise out of Miami. Would love to hear/find out what's going on with the Haven restaurant. OP, did they say anything? 

I will be sure to find out what the deal is/was with the Haven restaurant and galley.

I did a Celebrity cruise a few years ago and had their Aqua class stateroom.  Aqua class and suite pax were able to dine in the BLU restaurant.  It was fabulous!  Ran like a Swiss watch.  I hope to have the same experience with NCL.