Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

Hi Roger

We are going to book a car with Arash under your recommendation.  Could you tell me, (we are going to do Valdemossa, Deia, Port of Soller and Soller and then returning to the cruise port), how difficult is parking in these places so we can get out and visit?  We are renting a Fiat 500 or similar so its a small vehicle.  Will they know for sure which port we will be docked at to ensure the car is in the right place?  Or do you know which port Celebrity Ascent will be at?  Thank you!

4 hours ago, CRUSINGFAMILY said:

Hi Roger

We are going to book a car with Arash under your recommendation.  Could you tell me, (we are going to do Valdemossa, Deia, Port of Soller and Soller and then returning to the cruise port), how difficult is parking in these places so we can get out and visit?  We are renting a Fiat 500 or similar so its a small vehicle.  Will they know for sure which port we will be docked at to ensure the car is in the right place?  Or do you know which port Celebrity Ascent will be at?  Thank you!

Hi,

I am afraid it's luck of the draw , there are car parks in  all of these villages .

Deia is probably the most difficult, Soller try to park on the main road and walk down into the town .Pt de Soller there is a large car park off of the 1st roundabout going into the town.Valdemossa several car parks if full carry on the main road and you can park in one the streets on the right hand side.

The ship should dock at the main terminal añd the wil be in the car park opposite the entrance.

Roger b 

2 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi,

I am afraid it's luck of the draw , there are car parks in  all of these villages .

Deia is probably the most difficult, Soller try to park on the main road and walk down into the town .Pt de Soller there is a large car park off of the 1st roundabout going into the town.Valdemossa several car parks if full carry on the main road and you can park in one the streets on the right hand side.

The ship should dock at the main terminal añd the wil be in the car park opposite the entrance.

Roger b 

Thank you for this detailed information.....pardon my ignorance.....which is the "main terminal"

2 minutes ago, tauntoncheer said:

Hi Roger,

We are spending the day at Balneario Illetas in 2 weeks from our cruise ship. Will it be easy to get taxi back to ship around 2pm?
Thank you very much. 

Hi, 

It should be no problem at this time taxis pass the entrance to the beach all the time.

You could also call up an Uber , also there is a bus stop right at the entrance.

Number 4 bus will take you within walking distance of the cruise terminal get off at Porto Pi,or take you into the town (2 eu )

Roger b 

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2024 at 6:35 PM, roger b said:

Hi,

You can get the 1.30pm train , you should  have plenty  of time ,if you want to be back by 6.30pm..

A taxi will be 65/80 eu , back from Port de Soller. 

Roger b 

Thank you. What might the taxi be back to the ship from Soller?

1 minute ago, Adventures ahead said:

Thank you. What might the taxi be back to the ship from Soller?

Not a lot of difference about 60 eu 

Roger b

• Thanks 1

Roger,

Thank you for all your excellent tips and advise and the time you have given to all of us..  I have scanned through this entire thread and still have a couple of unanswered questions regarding Ho-Ho Bus.   Since my last two stops on this beautiful island  I have developed a significant pulmonary disorder that is being extremely limiting in my ability to walk any distance ( I am talking yards). Because of this we have decided to do the HO-HO Bus and not extensive tours as we did the past two years.

My question is what mode of transportation will be  the least amount walking to get from the ship ( Oasis of the Seas Oct 25, 2024) to the Number 1 start and then back to the ship with again the least number of steps. 

Also where is the Number 1 start and where is the final stop?

Thank you in advance for your help.

On 7/6/2024 at 12:15 PM, MoxieMomm said:

Can you please let us know how your experience was with the car rental?  Thanks!

@MoxieMomm

Our experience with Arash rental car was great. The car was waiting for us at the port.  However, it is a very long walk to the parking area!  We took a taxi but had to wait in a long line for the taxi.  Also, flagged a taxi down to take us back to the port when we were done. We did buy the extra insurance just in case and the total was about $112 US $.  We would definitely rent from them again.

Thanks Roger for the suggestion! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

Roger,

Thank you for all your excellent tips and advise and the time you have given to all of us..  I have scanned through this entire thread and still have a couple of unanswered questions regarding Ho-Ho Bus.   Since my last two stops on this beautiful island  I have developed a significant pulmonary disorder that is being extremely limiting in my ability to walk any distance ( I am talking yards). Because of this we have decided to do the HO-HO Bus and not extensive tours as we did the past two years.

My question is what mode of transportation will be  the least amount walking to get from the ship ( Oasis of the Seas Oct 25, 2024) to the Number 1 start and then back to the ship with again the least number of steps. 

Also where is the Number 1 start and where is the final stop?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have no control over where your ship docks, and as seen in the post below it could be a very long walk to the bus stop where the Ho-Ho bus stops.

The luck of the draw I am afraid, my advice is to get a taxi into town and board the bus there.

Roger b

29 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have no control over where your ship docks, and as seen in the post below it could be a very long walk to the bus stop where the Ho-Ho bus stops.

The luck of the draw I am afraid, my advice is to get a taxi into town and board the bus there.

Roger b

Thank you. Can you tell me where in town to go? An address or a location?  I won't have any type of google map or phone GPS. Anything to give the Taxi driver would be beneficial.   

1 minute ago, The sea calls my name said:

Thank you. Can you tell me where in town to go? An address or a location?  I won't have any type of google map or phone GPS. Anything to give the Taxi driver would be beneficial.   

Hi , 

Either you can get the taxi to drop at the Main cruise terminal ( see post a few back).

Or it is about a 10 minute ride to the start of the Ho-Ho bus this in the Bourne which is the main street in Palma.

The stop is opposite the Cathedral.

https://city-sightseeing.com/en/25/palma-de-mallorca?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=city&utm_content=Plm_Mllrc_gmb&utm_campaign=QR-CS_Mllrca&utm_term=csaffiliation

Roger b 

1 hour ago, FlashF15 said:

@MoxieMomm

Our experience with Arash rental car was great. The car was waiting for us at the port.  However, it is a very long walk to the parking area!  We took a taxi but had to wait in a long line for the taxi.  Also, flagged a taxi down to take us back to the port when we were done. We did buy the extra insurance just in case and the total was about $112 US $.  We would definitely rent from them again.

Thanks for following up with your experience! Where was the parking area?  How long of a walk would you guess?  

Where did you go for the day? Any recommendations of things to see/places to stop?

4 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi , 

Either you can get the taxi to drop at the Main cruise terminal ( see post a few back).

Or it is about a 10 minute ride to the start of the Ho-Ho bus this in the Bourne which is the main street in Palma.

The stop is opposite the Cathedral.

https://city-sightseeing.com/en/25/palma-de-mallorca?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=city&utm_content=Plm_Mllrc_gmb&utm_campaign=QR-CS_Mllrca&utm_term=csaffiliation

Roger b 

So helpful. Again, thank you for your help and your time. I can't wait to return to this beautiful place.

20 hours ago, MoxieMomm said:

Thanks for following up with your experience! Where was the parking area?  How long of a walk would you guess?  

Where did you go for the day? Any recommendations of things to see/places to stop?

10 minute walk - my husband said that for everything 🤪 Seriously, maybe a mile!!  It was really long.  According to google it should have been about 15min (https://maps.app.goo.gl/vjfj76TBTPLq7ubE6)  but it seemed longer than that.  We were on NCL.

We went to Caves of Drach and ate lunch at Calypso (great tapas) and dinner closer to the port. We missed seeing the Cathedral so I guess we'll have to go back some time.

21 minutes ago, FlashF15 said:

10 minute walk - my husband said that for everything 🤪 Seriously, maybe a mile!!  It was really long.  According to google it should have been about 15min (https://maps.app.goo.gl/vjfj76TBTPLq7ubE6)  but it seemed longer than that.  We were on NCL.

We went to Caves of Drach and ate lunch at Calypso (great tapas) and dinner closer to the port. We missed seeing the Cathedral so I guess we'll have to go back some time.

Hi ,

Unfortunately  your ship  docked on the west quay.

You could  have been  on the main terminal  quay then it is a 2 min walk to the car park.

Roger b 

On 7/28/2024 at 3:49 PM, FlashF15 said:

@MoxieMomm

Can you tell me.....I know the car will be waiting for us but how do we get the keys?  Is there a representative there where the car is?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roger, first let me thank you for all your help in this forum.

We will be docking on Sunday, April 27 from 7am-3pm from NCL Breakaway. Not very long time in port, heard that to rent a car from Arash is better then joining cruise expensive excursions, we are planning to go to Valdemossa & Soller, would you think this is doable? or skip Soller and go to Valdemossa and Andrax. 

Also, we are Canadian with Ontario driver license, do we need International Driving Permit to drive on this island?

We are 2 adults with 2 adult kids.

Thanks.

Carrie

Edited by PC168

16 hours ago, PC168 said:

Hi Roger, first let me thank you for all your help in this forum.

We will be docking on Sunday, April 27 from 7am-3pm from NCL Breakaway. Not very long time in port, heard that to rent a car from Arash is better then joining cruise expensive excursions, we are planning to go to Valdemossa & Soller, would you think this is doable? or skip Soller and go to Valdemossa and Andrax. 

Also, we are Canadian with Ontario driver license, do we need International Driving Permit to drive on this island?

We are 2 adults with 2 adult kids.

Thanks.

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

Your Canadian  license  is O.K,just do Valdemossa and Soller. 

You could  Do Pt zde Andrax  but would be rushed .

Roger b 

Hello Roger, and thank you for all your patience and advice to the many questioners! Here's a new one for you - we'd like to visit the Jardines de Alfabia near Bunyola and I'm wondering if it's worth combining with the train (one way) or not, and, if so, where to go for lunch (we're vegetarian, no fish).

We're in Palma on a Sunday in late September, 0800-1730. We're British and speak a bit of Spanish, so public transport/tourist-friendly cafes isn't an issue. 

- Is the most scenic bit of the train between Bunyola and Soller? And are the views very different to the 204 bus route?

- Is Bunyola big enough to find a nice café for lunch on a Sunday or should we aim for Soller or return to Palma? 

- Could we buy a Soller-Palma train ticket at Bunyola station (to save time)?

Current thoughts are get the bus 204 from Palma about 9am to the gardens (it open at 930). Then bus to Soller for lunch/after lunch, and train Soller to Palma 1400-1500.