MSC Q's

joey3079

Hello peeps, 

Although I am not a new cruiser and I know there is a MSC board, I feel I might get more honest feedback over here and not everyone bashing the other lines I have been on. 

So, with that out of the way, I have been on Carnival the most with my family, RCCL second with family and NCL when just adults. My wife and I have looked at maybe going on an MSC cruise with our two girls (13, and 7), on the MSC Meraviglia. We would be new to the MSC brand and at first look, might be a nice boat and line. My wife fears that we might get hit with a ton of up charges along the way with what we are used to being included with the price or at least reasonable. Example would be shows. We are aware that specialty dining is always an extra cost. A second thing is that we heard that the brand is not family friendly. Again, we are simply asking for other family minded people to give honest feedback. We are wanting to try out something different and not more of the same. 

Any insight would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

You really should go over to the MSC board.  You won't find any line-bashing there, except for the few who took one MSC cruise that didn't meet their expectations and keep coming back to be Debbie Downers.  We have those on the Carnival board too. 

I now have four MSC cruises, but not the Meraviglia, as she hasn't sailed from US yet.  We have two on Divina, one on Seaside, one on Armonia.  When MSC ships sail from US ports, there are no upcharges that you would not find on other lines.  There is only one show, a Cirque type that includes either dinner or a drink, that costs extra.  It has not been available on the ships we have sailed, and we would not have booked it anyway.  But there is a show in the theater every night, music and dance, acrobats and jugglers.  You won't find comedians, because with the percentage of non- North Americans, humor just does not translate...  Music is live in all of the lounges, with the possible exception of the disco, which I haven't visited at night.  

MSC is very family friendly.  I can't imagine where you would have heard otherwise, unless it was on one of the forums here that might like to bash MSC.  You will find a lot of passengers from Europe on an MSC cruise, as they are a Europe based line.  On our very recent cruise on their smallest ship, Armonia, of 2000 guests, 900 were from 'Europe'.  On Seaside we did have to make reservations for the shows, as the theater is just not large enough if everyone decides to come at the same time.  

Again, I invite you to come over to the MSC board and browse...  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

MSC is kind of like two cruise lines in one.  There is the Yacht Club (ship within a ship concept) which is a first class Experience.  Those in the YC have their own private section of the ship with its own expansive lounge, pool deck area, buffet, private restaurant, etc.  Outside the YC we think MSC is a product that is like a combination of RCI and Carnival.   There are really no more "upcharges" then on other mass market lines.  One can pay extra for an alternative restaurant or simply choose to stick to their included dining room or the Lido buffet.   Of course you will pay for drinks (unless you have a package or coupons) and Internet access.   What is somewhat different about MSC is that, if you are cruising in the Caribbean, you will find a higher percentage of Europeans on the cruise then you might be used to on the usual USA based lines.  

My advice to those trying MSC is to forget your preconceptions and go with an open mind.  There are things to like and some things that will not please everyone (just like any cruise line).  MSC has tried to adjust their Caribbean cruises to better please North American expectations.  While many appreciate this "Americanization" there are others (including me) who prefer to see them stick to a more Euro-Centric model.  If I want to book an American mass market line there are many choices.  We have booked MSC (after our first cruise we quickly booked two more in the Yacht Club) because we like the European feel of the ship, cuisine, and entertainment.

Hank

• Like 1