Venice accommodation

wally_bushy

A big chain name doesn't necessarily mean cookie cutter hotel.  We stayed just of Piazzale Roma in the Hotel Olimpia, a Best Western property.  It was a couple of buildings stuck together, very quirky.  We were in the annex with no elevator but a porter carried our bags up.  Good breakfast, easy to walk to vaporetto.  But there was one bridge to get to it, so when it was time to head for the ship, we took a water taxi.  (That was also the trip that convinced us that traveling with carryon only was the way to go.)  The year before, we stayed at the Bonvecchiatti, not too far from San Marco.  We had to get there by water taxi, and we went to the ship also by water taxi.  This was another property that was two or more buildings cobbled together.  Very tiny elevators, and because the floors of the buildings did not meet, the elevators did not stop at every floor.  You might take the elevator to a floor, get off, and walk up the stairs half a flight to get to your floor.  It was a hotel used by HAL, which we were cruising that time, but we did not book it through HAL.  And the room was the tiniest hotel room we have stayed in.  

As to the Hotel Hilton Molino Stucky, a former flour mill...

https://www3.hilton.com/resources/media/hi/VCEHIHI/en_US/pdf/en_VCEHIHI_MolinoStucky_History_May2019.pdf

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/italy/hilton-molino-stucky-venice-VCEHIHI/photo-tours/index.html

16 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

It is absolutely true that "Aqua Alta" (high tides) happen in Venice, and moreso in Oct/Nov/Dec than any other time of year.  It's something that Venice prepares for, elevates walkways, and the residents wear overshoe booties.

That said, the situation you refer to from last Oct/Nov was highly unusual - and the height of the waters was record-breaking.  It was the result of a really big storm in the Med, a storm so bad it completely washed out the roads to and from Portofino, and damaged waterfronts all over the place.  I know all of this because we were in Venice for the vaporetto strike, and cruising in Italy during that storm (we managed to miss the aqua alta by 48 hours).  There are some things you can prepare for, and some things that are just an act of God.  I really think last year was the latter.

People that say that shlepping luggage all over Venice is pain the in rear are correct.  But there are things you can do to avoid that.  At Piazalle Roma there is a luggage depot right next door to the people mover to the port.  Leave the airport, get on the bus to P. Roma, leave the bulk of your luggage at the depot for your stay, and get on the vaporetto with a small roller.  Alternately, you can stay at a hotel right next to a vaporetto stop and have 50 yards and no bridges to haul that luggage.  You can choose a less fancy hotel and use the money to indulge in a water taxi to and from the hotel.  The hotel I mentioned above is quite inexpensive (for Venice) at 160 - 200 euros per night.

If ease of use in getting around is important, then staying in Mestre on the mainland might be for you.  But the OP mentioned authentic, which leads me to believe they want to experience Venice.  I personally want to encourage that, as I am utterly bewitched by this place and would love for others to fall under it's spell as well.  Venice is a place unlike any other.  For us, the extra steps we have to take to enjoy it are more than worth it.

This is absolutely correct.    

The Stucky Hotel is a a boat ride away from the Piazzale Roma where the vaporettos are.    The hotel provides a boat transfer but it is better not to have to do that!!!  The walk to the Popadopoli does not involve steps over the access bridge.  J

Be aware that in Italy there are often strkes.  We have been affected by strikes in Venice many times.  Museum strikes, vaparetto strikes, all transportation strikes, etc.. Have a backup plan.  If you stay in Piazza Roma area, you can at worst walk to the ship.  We have walked it before the people mover.  People mover is a convenient way between Piazza Roma and cruise pier Oceania has a shuttle between the ship and Piazza Roma.  

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Oceania has a shuttle between the ship and Piazza Roma.  

I must have missed that the two times I was there. Including the overnight. You’d think it would be in the Currents. 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:20 PM, donaldsc said:

The OP asked for an authentic place.  I hardly think that a Marriott is an authentic place.  Same comment applies to the suggestion for a Hilton hotel that another post suggested.

DON

Nothing more authentic than Gritti Palace, which is now under the Marriott umbrella. We were able to stay there last Fall using points. Got upgraded to 3 room suite with views of Grand Canal & treated like royalty for 3 days prior to our cruise. The flood made it even more of an authentic experience!!

• Like 1

Greetings from South Beach, wally_bushy. Our choice for stays in Venice is the Flora Hotel, Calle dei Bergamaschi, 2283, 39124 San Marco. This is a wonderful location, and the hotel is charming. Very close to San Marco,  excellent restaurants are nearby. The adorable garden is used for breakfast. This place is definitely authentic. We are Venice fans and stay at least a week. Have a great time there. We always do. 

Bon Voyage,

Mary

• Like 1