Viking Homelands 2020 / Boarding time / Disembark Time?

Dark Avenger

Boarding time is the same for everyone regardless of cabin category. Cabins will be ready as per your cabin category -- and usually earlier. Viking only announces when all cabins are available. If you are in a higher cabin category, you may proceed to your cabin st the stated ready time for your category. 

The usual plan is that departing pax must be off the ship by 9:45 am. Embarkation will begin soon thereafter. 

On departure day:

Breakfast in the buffet or MDR

Everybody out of cabins by 8am

Departure times are assigned according to flight

There are no announcements; pax are expected to leave ship 15 min prior to assigned departure to retrieve luggage and get it to the bus. Porters will be available. 

Your Cruise Documents booklet will list the embarkation information, page 5. Our Viking Sea Trade Routes embarkation information indicated stateroom availability is by category and we had access by 1pm (PV category). Generally we’ve dropped our luggage off at the designated dock area and then gone off exploring the city (we sometimes book a tour). As Peregrina says, you can sit in the public areas and have a drink and go to the buffet. Rooms are sometimes ready before the stated time, but someone will come get you and take you to your cabin.

All the disembarkation information, with luggage tags, is delivered to your cabin. You do put your luggage out into the hallway the night before- the crew will pick it up and take it to the designated area according to your departure schedule. We have kept a few things in our cabin (toiletries, clothes)  and stuffed them into our luggage when we have access to the luggage in the morning (I’m assuming you will need to identify your luggage before you get on the train and you can put stuff in your bags at that time. Given you’re on the train, you can put your stuff in your carryon- much easier. 

We did the train ride from Bergen to Oslo- beautiful scenery. The Oslo station is very nice and Oslo is a beautiful city. Enjoy!

5 hours ago, Krisval said:

Rooms are sometimes ready before the stated time, but someone will come get you and take you to your cabin.

Kris, interesting. Have never had that happen to us. Is it because we are usually DV pax? We have been greeted on the gangway and asked if they can take us to our cabin but never has anyone come looking for us.

5 hours ago, Krisval said:

(I’m assuming you will need to identify your luggage before you get on the train and you can put stuff in your bags at that time.

Viking does like to have you ID your luggage anytime you have been separated from it. So, yes, pax will be asked to take their luggage from the "luggage corral" to the bus/van.

Luggage is usually (not always) transported by truck when there are trains involved. Viking will give you clear instructions on what to do when traveling by train.

Can someone tell me where Viking usually docks in Stockholm?  I can’t find any site that says which of the areas The Sky will dock for our 5/13/20 cruise. I know there was a link on this board to a site that provided that info but I didn’t write it down and now I can’t find it   Story of my life. I just spent 30 minutes on google and another 30 here but no success. 

To be a little more specific to the above response, on our Homelands cruise earlier this year, we were about 100 yards from the Photography museum (opposite side from Old Town) which is also one of the stops on the hop on hop off boat tour.