How to Search Function

There are many threads in this forum explaining how to search.  I've linked one of them below.  When you want to search within a specific board, like the one for MSC Cruises, you need to know that CC calls the boards "forums," so you need to open the MSC board/forum, then choose search "this forum" for what you are seeking.  The search process will be a bit different on a phone than on a desktop.  The discussion in the thread linked below explains those differences, with screen shots.

@CC Help Jenn  Questions about how to search are posted here so frequently, that I think it would be great to have a "how to search" sticky at the top of this forum.   Thanks for considering this!

31 minutes ago, tnt10 said:

Sorry, but still horribly confusing, as I couldn't find any of those drop down options in any of my searches....

Are you using a computer, and iPad or a phone?

On a phone, the search you want is on the blue bar, not the white one above it. Click on the white magnifying glass and it will open a search box with a menu below it labelled Content Search.  Put your search term in the box. Click on Topics. Then, a little farther down the list (below Albums) you will see Cruise Critic Community (otherwise known as a forum) with a drop down menu that will let you select where you want to search. Note that Cruise Critic Community menu doesn't show up until you select Topic.

On a computer (or on an iPad in landscape mode), the search is not the magnifying glass at the top right, but rather the bar below your screen name (which is below the big magnifying glass. Click inside the bar before you start to type anything, and you will see a list of options.

Thanks for the help, I am using a desktop computer.
First problem, I don't even see my screen name in the upper right of any screen??

And then what bar are you referring to?  

Sorry, but I am trying, and am clicking on everything to try and get to the screens and verbage described above, but no luck so far....

Thanks

7 hours ago, tnt10 said:

First problem, I don't even see my screen name in the upper right of any screen??

Sorry, but I am trying, and am clicking on everything to try and get to the screens and verbage described above, but no luck so far....

Thanks

The desktop screen is divided into 2 panels, the main panel on the left where your messages are, and a panel at the right which has announcements and albums (with pictures showing). Follow that right panel up. Below the white cruise critic banner (which is always visible on the page), you will find +create (with an arrow), a bell, an envelope, and your screen name (with an arrow). Just below this row, under the bell, envelope and your name, is an oval bar that says search in it, with a magnifything glass on the right side of the oval. Click in the oval. It will open up a search in... menu. Make the selections that you want. Then go back to the oval and put your search terms into it.

15 hours ago, tnt10 said:

Thanks

If you can't see your name you need to zoom out or use your horizontal scroll bar to see the far right of your screen

image.png

Thank you AlanF65 and gnome12!

After backing out of the page was able to see my name,

then was able to use the "search this forum".  

Don't know how useful this function really can be until you're unable to use it!

Thanks again for your patience

Tim

Edited by tnt10
  • Like 1