Question re: televisions

Jann5723

2 minutes ago, Jann5723 said:

Hi,

I have a question about the televisions on newer and/or refurbished Princess ships.  Do they have free movies, or is it pay per view?  Also, can you hook up a dvd player to the televisions?

Thanks!

There is no pay for view on Princess ships. Newer and converted ships have free movies on demand. The attached thread has an entire discussion about connecting external devices to the TV's.

1 hour ago, Jann5723 said:

Also, can you hook up a dvd player to the televisions?

Generally speaking, no.

Stateroom TVs of late are usually flat panels mounted close to the wall, which precludes physical access to any input ports on the back.  Worse, the provided remotes don't have a button to switch from the ship's video to an input port on the back if you managed to get to one.

With the very newest TVs, there isn't even an "antenna" input you could hijack. Shows are delivered to those TVs as internet streams.

My DH has been able to hook up to almost all of the TV's. The wall mounted ones do offer a tough challenge since you sometimes have to disconnect their input & use your own.  

The system on the Crown Princess was among the easiest. They even had the input on the TV so it  could be switched. 

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

My DH has been able to hook up to almost all of the TV's. The wall mounted ones do offer a tough challenge since you sometimes have to disconnect their input & use your own.  

The system on the Crown Princess was among the easiest. They even had the input on the TV so it  could be switched. 

Thanks so much for your help.  I was getting pretty discouraged until I read your reply!  We will be on the Emerald, and I did hear that they don't have wall mounted televisions.  My DH is really good at this stuff as well.

49 minutes ago, fredflint said:

any tv that is mounted to the wall can come off the wall just depends on how many tools you bring!

Unless of course they use a physical lock.  I have quite a few security screw bits.

Actually you don't need any tools. The TV swivels out from the bottom so that the inputs can be accessed. Some TV's require a little stronger tug then others. 

On 9/24/2019 at 7:33 PM, Haboob said:

With the very newest TVs, there isn't even an "antenna" input you could hijack. Shows are delivered to those TVs as internet streams.

Antenna input?

I guess I'll leave my Atari console at home, and give up playing pong for a week or two...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2019 at 4:39 PM, Jann5723 said:

Hi,

I have a question about the televisions on newer and/or refurbished Princess ships.  Do they have free movies, or is it pay per view?  Also, can you hook up a dvd player to the televisions?

Thanks!

Princess has free on-demand movies on their newer ships including next day access to movies shown on MUTS.   We hated having to pay $11.99 per movie on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas.    One reason to cruise Princess.

Edited by Times Prince
clarifying ship coverage.

1 hour ago, Times Prince said:

Princess has free on-demand movies on their newer ships including next day access to movies shown on MUTS.   We hated having to pay $11.99 per movie on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas.    One reason to cruise Princess.

Wow $11.99 is quite a bit. Were they first run movies that were just released in the theaters or similar to that of Princess.

We sailed Royal and took dh headphones for separate tv in mini.  Although we had received good info on here on how to do, either we were too stupid or it just didn't work.  Going on Island soon and may try again.  Trying to decide if worth the frustration and hauling along, but sure is when dh likes tv more than I do and louder than I do. 

🙂

26 minutes ago, Seacreature101 said:

We sailed Royal and took dh headphones for separate tv in mini.  Although we had received good info on here on how to do, either we were too stupid or it just didn't work.  Going on Island soon and may try again.  Trying to decide if worth the frustration and hauling along, but sure is when dh likes tv more than I do and louder than I do. 

🙂

I've never had any luck with plugging in earphones on any ships I've tried.

It would be a nice feature. 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I've never had any luck with plugging in earphones on any ships I've tried.

It would be a nice feature. 

Have been able to use headphones with transmitter purchased online for less than $100 in the past on other ships so was kind of disappointing, but oh well.  I survived.  :)