Boston same day "off the ship"tours

BeeSkip

Hi...

Are their vendors once you arrive at Boston to book city tours and such.  We want to do Boston "on our own".   Perhaps a hop on/hop off tour, Duck tour, fenway park tour?

we have a group of 9 so info before arrival most helpful.  Any suggestions appreciated!!!

thanks

bee

Boston is extremely easy to do on your own-- lived there for 3 years and always would take friends/family around who visited.

Depending on your time/physical ability, just walking the Freedom Trail is a great way to see most of the major historic sights in town. Boston is such a compact and walkable town (the core historical area at least) so I think you actually see more walking than do you on a bus. There are HoHos and they pretty much follow the Freedom Trail. 

The Ducks are death traps but thats of course a personal decision-- there are a ton of them. The actual water portion of them is so so-- a little run in the Charles River. The best way to see Fenway, depending on time of year, is just buy tickets to a game, but the tours are a good alternative if that isn't an option. 

You won't find folks hawking tours at the dock.  As said, booking yourself is very easy, but you will want to do that in advance and have a plan as to how to get from the ship to your tour's start.  Public transit is strong, and of course you can taxi or uber to get to places.

13 hours ago, Nitemare said:

You won't find folks hawking tours at the dock.  As said, booking yourself is very easy, but you will want to do that in advance and have a plan as to how to get from the ship to your tour's start.  Public transit is strong, and of course you can taxi or uber to get to places.

any suggestions............I'm a walker and would love a tour of the freedom trail--I'd prefer not to do the ships tours

On 9/26/2019 at 8:22 PM, lois1112 said:

any suggestions............I'm a walker and would love a tour of the freedom trail--I'd prefer not to do the ships tours

On 9/27/2019 at 6:40 AM, Nitemare said:

You can take the Silver Line to South Station, and it's about a 10 minute walk to the Freedom Trail from there, or transfer (free) to the Red Line and take it to Park Street Station, right on the Trail

Look for Freedom Trail tours on https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/daily-tour-schedule

If you take the Silver Line/Red Line (suggested), transfer at South Station to Red Line Direction Alewife.

14 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

IDK, I guess the one closest to the ship!  We went to Boston 2 years ago and did this and loved it, but can't remember where we got the bus

As you exit the ship, walk to your left all the way down the street.  When you reach cruise parking lot area (about 5 min walking), there should be a tent to check your reservation and a HoHo stop.  Book your tickets at trolleytours dot com  As far as I know, this is the ONLY HoHo company that operates from cruise port.  Few years back, I got carried away and did the entire route of HoHo as well as Boston Harbor Cruise and I barely made back to our ship by 6pm when our ship was leaving at 7p so plan your route wisely 🙂

9 hours ago, DrTeddy said:

As you exit the ship, walk to your left all the way down the street.  When you reach cruise parking lot area (about 5 min walking), there should be a tent to check your reservation and a HoHo stop.  Book your tickets at trolleytours dot com  As far as I know, this is the ONLY HoHo company that operates from cruise port.  Few years back, I got carried away and did the entire route of HoHo as well as Boston Harbor Cruise and I barely made back to our ship by 6pm when our ship was leaving at 7p so plan your route wisely 🙂

Thanks very much.  Do you suggest we book tickets first or can I do that when we get off the ship? Are there a set # of buses or can we just wait for one to pick us up?  Sorry, I remember the "excursion" like it was yesterday, just can't remember how, when and where we got on it lol.  

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

Thanks very much.  Do you suggest we book tickets first or can I do that when we get off the ship? Are there a set # of buses or can we just wait for one to pick us up?  Sorry, I remember the "excursion" like it was yesterday, just can't remember how, when and where we got on it lol.  

I'd buy them before hand so you don't have to worry, but if I'm right you can purchase ticket at their booth(tent) as well.  I think there is a slight discount if you purchase your ticket online, maybe like 5-10%.  It's been 4 years since we were on this HoHo so they might've changed since then.  After I showed my receipt, I think they gave me a ticket or was it a bracelet, I forgot.  At this stop, there is only 1 bus which takes you to Quincy Market area.  You can then check out the Quincy Market area, do Harbor cruise or proceed straight to HoHo bus stop which is near by.  I highly recommend doing Harbor cruise first if you are planning on this cruise.  There are several HoHo at this stop so make sure you get on the right bus.  I suggest you to goto their website and take a closer look at their route/map so you know where to catch your HoHo from the Falcon cruise terminal (stop #17a) and also take a note of the color/logo of their bus.   

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2019 at 6:40 AM, Nitemare said:

You can take the Silver Line to South Station, and it's about a 10 minute walk to the Freedom Trail from there, or transfer (free) to the Red Line and take it to Park Street Station, right on the Trail

This is our plan for our Empress July New England/Canada trip. Park Street is right  at the Boston Common. My 14 y/o son wants to visit the Granary Burial Grounds (Paul Revere, Samuel Adams) and the Central Burial Grounds (down Boyleston Street at the othe end of the Common). We saw them from  our HOHO bus on our last trip to Boston and my son was ingtrigued. He also wants to see the Titanic Cemetery in Halifax.