Bringing soda back onboard at various ports of call

bafinegan

Its been a couple of years since hubbs and I have cruised with Carnival. We just booked an Alaskan cruise for Aug 2020.  Can one still purchase a 6 pack of soda and bring onboard at different ports of call or has that been dx'd?  Thanks in advance!

baf

Thanks all for the responses.  I figured the alcohol restrictions hadn't changed, but was unsure about canned soda!  Hubbs and I both drink diet Dr Pepper so i'm thinking we will just stop by a convenience at one of the Alaskan ports.

baf 

On 9/29/2019 at 4:39 AM, RWolver672 said:

Yes you can and be prepared that it might taste a little different than what you are use to.  The water they use to make it makes it taste different.  We really noticed that in St Thomas when we brought some back onboard.

Am not so sure it is the water, but rather the type of sugars they use when making it.    In the US, high fructose syrup is used, in Mexico for example, real cane sugar is used.  

• Like 1

Actually, the rules do not say you can. They specifically say that you may do so at embarkation ONLY. Nothing about bringing more on at subsequent ports. 

That said, they don’t seem to be preventing it either. So....

Bob

Edited by xbatt8
Correction

7 hours ago, xbatt8 said:

Actually, the rules do not say you can. They specifically say that you may do so at embarkation ONLY. Nothing about bringing more on at subsequent ports. 

Bob

Just ask one of the crew members on the gangway as you disembark and they will let you know.
They seem to be the same staff when you are boarding, so I'm sure they won't lead you astray.

8 hours ago, xbatt8 said:

Bob

Actually the cruise contract is non specific on bringing beverages in from ports. if you read the direct language it does not state " only " at embarkation.

"A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). "

Punctuation means a lot here,  meaning only if carried in the guest's hand luggage. It does not clarify if you may bring some from the ports. The comma means a lot here! You may only bring it in your carry on language is what it says here.

Edited by n6uqqq

8 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Actually the cruise contract is non specific on bringing beverages in from ports. if you read the direct language it does not state " only " at embarkation.

No, but it ONLY says on embarkation day (which was my point - not that the word “only” after it was part of the preceding clause). Now, you’re probably thinking, well, that doesn’t preclude other days. Sure, that is one interpretation, albeit a weak one. If their intent was to allow sodas to be brought on board at any port, they would have simply left that off. It would have been easy, and clearer to simply say, “non-alcoholic beverages may be brought on in ports”. But they didn’t. They specified the day that sodas can be brought on board. There is a reason why certain things are specified...  Which is why context is also so important. Look up a little further on the contract and see what it says about bringing wine on board. It ALSO says that wine may be brought on board on embarkation day.  It doesn’t say ED only, but I’m pretty sure that statement, to them, means ED ONLY. So why would they use the same phraseology for sodas and not mean the same thing??? 

However, in this case, the intent and interpretation clarity, generally, is irrelevant,  as they tend to allow the practice. But, like all things Carnival, their only consistency is that they are inconsistent... 

Bob

I think John Heald has cleared up that is okay to bring soda onboard from the ports. The cruise contract does state that alcohol bought in the funshops onboard or from ports will be taken until the end of the cruise. No such mention is made for sodas/ non alcoholic beverages so my interpretation is it is okay to do so. I don't personally bring soda on from the ports as one 12 pack is more than enough for me. But like you said, your mileage may vary with Carnival!

Edited by n6uqqq

HI I just completed 9 day Alaska cruise on the Legend. I brought 2 six pack of soda in Icy Straight Point. Very expensive but, had no issue carrying it on the ship. Just put it through the xray machine and picked it up. No one ever mentioned I couldn''t do that. 😉 Just be prepared to pay for it though.. something like $2 per can...

21 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

But like you said, your mileage may vary with Carnival!

Ain't that the truth. Another story about JH and Carnival. 

JH has said many times that if you are doing B2B, just show both boarding passes and you can bring on 2 bottles of wine per person. So I always carried a printed out copy of him saying that. We were on a B2B a few years ago out of Galveston and we were stopped at security and told that we couldn’t take 4 bottles. We showed them the boarding passes. Nope, can’t take 4 bottles. I showed them the email from JH. Tough crap, you can’t take 4 bottles. We asked to talk to their supervisor and showed that person the boarding passes and email. Nope, tough luck, you ain’t taking 4 bottles. I asked them to contact guest services on the ship for a ruling from Carnival. They did, but I have to assume Carnival didn’t override them as we were told that they would keep our other two bottles til the B2B was over... WHAT????  Crazy... 

Bob

I would prefer to not go through the extra work of picking up soda in one of the ports, and won't know until I am a few days into my 15 day cruise if I will want an additional 6 pack of say Ginger Ale. Can I purchase a 6 pack while on board at the same $10 price that I can buy before departure?