Transit (air-side) lodging in HKG ? SIN ?

GeezerCouple

Does anyone have any experience with *air-side* transit hotel/lodging for 2, at the Hong Kong or Singapore airports?

Both are for times from late evening to early morning.

We don't really want a "pod" type of accommodation.

(Please don't lead this into whether we should venture landside; there are several reasons, including both timing and health factors, that have us desiring to just head directly to comfortable/clean dbl/q/k bed with private bath, without dealing with immigration/customs, etc.  Thanks.  IF health allows after some rest, we might venture out, but there really isn't all that much time anyway.  We fully expect to sleep the entire time, based upon past experience, especially in SIN after an ultra-long-haul flight.)

We understand these charge hourly, and do take reservations... but what if a flight is seriously delayed?  Are walk-ups automatically out of luck?  These are mid-week nights, not in the middle of a major holiday period.

There seem to be some choices, but we are having difficulty with comparisons.

And one of them in HKG seems to have closed a few days ago...

We'll have access to airline J lounges, and possibly F in HKG.  Aside from the fact that they don't have proper beds, they also aren't open all night, so those are non-starters, if I understand all of that correctly.

Many thanks!

GC

P.S.  Yes, I'm also asking on FlyerTalk as well, but CC members often seem to have a different approach to some questions.

I doubt that it matters, but yes, this is to and from a cruise (Auckland to Sydney).

We've been through both SIN and HKG, but have never used a transit hotel.

SIN has some options:

https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/transit-hotels.html

I can't answer your specific questions, but there is an email address to which you can direct your questions to the transit hotels at SIN.

As for HKG, here is a link to the transit hotel website, which you may have already seen since you have commented about the expected closure from October through December 2019.  If you are traveling through HKG during that time, you might be out of luck.  They also list an email address for inquiries.

https://www.myaerotel.com/en-uk/find/china-regions/hong-kong-sar/hong-kong/refreshhh-by-aerotel-hong-kong

With all the issues going on in Hong Kong now, Singapore might be a better connection option.

Good luck!

5 years ago I stayed at the Regal Airport Hotel in Hong Kong. I arrived later in the evening and the rest of my party was coming in that morning. I enjoyed my stay. No clue if they sell out early or not. But the rooms was good size, comfortable and you walk right to the hotel from the terminal through a pathway. 

12 minutes ago, Flymia said:

5 years ago I stayed at the Regal Airport Hotel in Hong Kong. I arrived later in the evening and the rest of my party was coming in that morning. I enjoyed my stay. No clue if they sell out early or not. But the rooms was good size, comfortable and you walk right to the hotel from the terminal through a pathway. 

It really depends on the time of year, but I have booked a last minute room at the Regal multiple times. I prefer other HKG airport hotels (Novotel is my favorite, it's attached to a mall and metro station), but they require a (short) shuttle ride, whereas the Regal is of course just a couple minutes walk away. Still requires immigration and security re-clearance, but it's a very convenient option. 

3 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

I've stayed in and enjoyed the Crowne Plaza at SIN - outside security but dead easy to access.  A bonus is the (air conditioned - yay) hawker court in the lower basement of Terminal 3.   

That Crowne Plaza really is quite nice when I just don't feel like going in to the city...couldn't recommend it more. I know OP isn't looking for a non-transit airport, but for others, SIN immigration and security is generally super quick and easy and this hotel beats anything else available at the airport. 

Thanks.

The Crown Plaza (SIN) and Regal (HKG) are probably what we would have used IF we were going land-side. 

However, we REALLY are trying to avoid any of that (the delay crossing immigrations/etc., walking even that short distance with carry ons, etc.).

I'm hoping someone might have actual experience with one of these transit hotels, and could make some comments about facilities as well as where they are for minimal time to get to them from the particular airline gate - to the degree it can be predicted by airline/flight history, etc.

I suppose the number/proportion of travelers who've used these facilities is pretty small, but maybe someone who has might see this request.

Many thanks!

GC

Frankly, this isn't the site to go for hotel reviews or experience. You may get one or two who have some experience, but that doesn't mean their experience is the norm. I would go to https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/transit-hotels.html for a list of SIN airport transit hotels, then cross reference with Tripadvisor...this will give you hundreds or thousands of reviews, allowing a better summary of experiences than the one or two people who might happen to comment here. As an example, the two main transit hotels at SIN (Aerotel, and Ambassador) each average four stars on Tripadvisor out of over a thousand combined reviews. 

2 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Frankly, this isn't the site to go for hotel reviews or experience. You may get one or two who have some experience, but that doesn't mean their experience is the norm. I would go to https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/transit-hotels.html for a list of SIN airport transit hotels, then cross reference with Tripadvisor...this will give you hundreds or thousands of reviews, allowing a better summary of experiences than the one or two people who might happen to comment here. As an example, the two main transit hotels at SIN (Aerotel, and Ambassador) each average four stars on Tripadvisor out of over a thousand combined reviews. 

Thanks!

For some reason, I didn't find this particular page/link previously.

Do you happen to know which is closer to SQ arrivals (In particular that ultra-long-haul from EWR)?

You don't happen to have something similar for HKG by any chance?

Many thanks!

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks!

For some reason, I didn't find this particular page/link previously.

Do you happen to know which is closer to SQ arrivals (In particular that ultra-long-haul from EWR)?

You don't happen to have something similar for HKG by any chance?

Many thanks!

GC

I believe HKG has an Aerotel too. No experience with it; reviews look not as good as SIN. 

12 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I believe HKG has an Aerotel too. No experience with it; reviews look not as good as SIN. 

One of them in SIN has a pool !

That's sort of astonishing, but nice for those who have the time and interest!

And this is the one where there are some photos/artistic drawings, and it looks rather like a simple Holiday Inn type of room, which would be wonderful for us.

Not sure about the other two, but of course, we only need one...

As for HKG, I'll need to check if that's the one that is now closed, but they seem to have something else.  I couldn't get a response about just what facilities they offer.

Apparently *some* of the facilities are for "resting", more like a lounge, rather than a private hotel/motel room set-up.

Many thanks!

GC