Am I the Only One?

tip

5 hours ago, idahospud said:

That was me who spoke to him directly (while onboard a MedallionClass ship) about the requirement to carry a Medallion. I'm currently on my 12th Medallion cruise and it was not a requirement back then and it is still not a requirement. In fact, I went to guest services just last month to get a cruise card, just to be sure it could happen. It can. If you don't want the Medallion, guest services will print a card for you. 

Thank you for checking, and reporting here.

First hand reports are far more valuable than crazy posts by 'some guy on the interenet'.

(who I only rely on for stock advice)

This is all about raw data, the data they get from everyone of the passengers about where they go, how much time they spend there, what they are doing (drinking, gambling, shopping, etc). It will also tell them how long you spend in each area and what sub-section of the gift shop you were looking at. They can tell where you sit in the dining rooms, buffet, lounges, bars, how long you stay, how much you buy. In non-economic terms the software could be used to track where people went that ended up sick allowing the "cure" to be done more quickly and accurately. If people complain about service, they can tell which server people were using by where they were sitting at what time. That will identify the server and give them an opportunity to fix it faster.

Like all new technology there is good and bad. A few years ago how many people said "I don't need a navigation system, I can use paper maps"? Very few paper map readers left now. The downside, I get ads on my google maps now...

Just returned from the Crown which has the OM.  Our experience:

as Canadians we had to pick up our Medallian at check in.  No problem, no line for us, they checked that the photos we submitted were acceptable, gave us our Medallions and we were on our way, maybe five minutes total.

Did not buy any accessories but many did buy the wristband, we just put it in our pocket since we dislike lanyards.

Door entry was mixed, sometimes the door was opened 10 feet away, other times it required a tap directly to screen.

We dont like to be burdened with a phone on board and after many attempts at using the various ocean apps with varying degrees of success, we just didnt bother with it anymore and used the OM as a cruise card.

Did notice many frustrated passengers at the OM help centre.

I think it is still a WIP, maybe things will improve in future. 

14 hours ago, creel5857 said:

Things like this is not a great value to us.  In fact, the pricing of cabins on Princess altogether is getting a bit more than we can get in equivalent accommodations on some other lines......

What Carnival Corp told stock analysts:

Also, we are beginning to see a lift in ticket price from our MedallionClass as we ramp up our marketing efforts in that trade and as we continue to expand Medallion throughout the Princess fleet.