Meet & Mingle to be Eliminated

Shar27

The M&M's are a good idea in concept and really work well when you have people there who are interested in meeting other cruisers. But, they don't work well when in general all RCI is doing is giving you a designated meeting place to seem important with nothing all the great to offer besides that. With low turnout most of the time that includes people who spend most of their time talking to the people they came with and not the people they don't know, which is a big reason to go to these things. Most cruisers who stay in contact with each other and those who know each other from these boards will meet up some time regardless of the M&M.

I still show up because I am one of those people who enjoy meeting others I don't know who have a few things in common with me - Cruising, RCI, Cruising, Cruise Critic and Cruising :p. So, basically my view is RCI needs to beef it up a little bit and people who show up need to be a little more out going and not so cliquey with the little group they are cruising with. It's one of those vicious circle things. RCI doesn't offer more cuz people aren't showing up and people aren't showing up cuz RCI doesn't offer more. If people really want this to stick around both RCI and the members need to make it happen.

huskerdude & Cam6959 - GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My family is originally from Omaha, NE. Good thing there is a huge Husker following in AZ or we might not be here :p

• Administrators
LauraS,

Ibut since we've sailed Celebrity many times and have been having difficulties with the scheduling of Connections parties, I was wondering who, if anyone, from CC is the liaison with Celebrity about these schedules. Thanks for any light you can shed on this topic...I'll be happy to move to the Celebrity board if you wish.

That would be me as well. Send me an e-mail....at community@cruisecritic.com

Laura

I'm on the Brilliance in March and it seems that our M&M is at 11:00 AM on the first day at sea. Great to have it this early in the cruise but 11:00 breaks up the day and interupts the "turn off the brain" relaxation that I want. Wifey and I will show up but wish the M&M was earlier (9:00AM) or later (4:00PM) so as not to interupt the day.

We've got a fairly big group and I expect 75% of them to show up... who knows. As one other poster mentioned, we're going to actively discuss the time/date of the M&M as soon as we can absolutely confirm that it is on the first sea day.

I love the M&M because it allows you to put a face to the name of other CC members. We find out we have a lot in common with many and often join up for drinks or time on shore with them.

Let's hope they don't disappear.

On Brilliance Med cruise last Oct, RC did a good job of scheduling and providing treats and prizes. They scheduled it for 11 am on the first sea day (4th cruise day). We had a fairly lively Roll Call board going so I expected a good turnout. WRONG! We had about 35 people signed up, but only 7 people showed up. RC provided three large trays of cookies and hors d'oeuvres including caviar and soft drinks. They had a drawing for prizes like a cooler, bottle of champagne, and AQUA MOUSE (maybe the lure of an aqua mouse will entice people!). The CD didn't show up but a member of the CD staff and the head bartender were there.I just wish more people had shown up. I figure if I can stay up until almost 4 AM drinking and dancing and still make it, other people can also.

Regarding what is served -- that really is a non-issue. The reason for the gathering is for you to meet each other. Everything else is just extra...a bit of icing on the cake.

Laura

While it is the icing on the cake...so is everything else on the cruise. My comment was more to the attitude brought in by RCI (in my ONE experience). With the wealth of foods available to them they got a tray of cookies. That mirrored their attitude (IMHO). The OP mentioned the CD was at theirs.. this was delegated on ours. Other M&M may have been made more exciting by CD and staff.

To a certain extent, the meet and mingle people are the potential ambassadors for the cruise line, we are the people that get back on these boards and when someone asks "Carnival or RCI?" we give them our opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I had a good time talking with all the people I had been on the thread with and will go again (We even have organised our own on a upcoming 5 day). I am only saying, if I were RCI, I'd look at these people as ones that are sociable(they attend an event like this) so they talk to others about their cruise experience...(on line, and in person) I personally would want them to leave the room with "WOW!"

as we are doing on Jewel 5/14, member cruise also, but everyone on our slot seemed to enjoy the idea. Bring a gift from your City, State, family if you have a company, between $5-$10. You get a ticket for each gift you bring so you get a gfit for each ticket.

A great idea to make Meet & Mingle fun!

Although my DW and I have cruised quite a few times on RCCL and X, our first CC party was held on the Westerdam, in December. One of the members had a stern suite, and so we had our first party there, with about 30 participents. The official party was held in the Crows Nest the next day for a sailaway from Naussau, and a few others that had signed up joined us. HAL does nothing to encourage these parties.

So I have not attended an X or RCCL party yet. Our first X party will be on the Mercury 2/13 to the Mexican Riviera. I think we have 30 signed up. The next one will be on the Jewel of the Sea on 4/30 transatlantic, and staying onboard for th 5/14 baltic portion. Looking forward to getting together with MACOP!!

As we communicate with one another on our respective CC boards, it will be interesting to see how the parties turn out. Personally I'm looking forward to making new friends!

Rick

Agree with a successful roll call thread sets the tone for a good M&M, but sometimes they get way too personnal. I was at one 5 years ago on the then Nordic Empress and a man marched his wife in and made her apoligize for all the family laundry she wrote about. I guess he got on the computer and was shocked. I've personnaly read about terrible diseases, sex problems, out of control children, despondent feelings from relative strangers that I get embassed to even meet these people.

Shar,

Brad and I so wanted to be at that M&M but unfortunately had missed the ship in Miami and joined it in San Juan the day after the gathering.

Could the issue be that outside of Cruise Critic, many people don't recognize the Meet & Mingle for what it is an confuse it with some sort of Singles event?

Shar27's "info" is certainly news to us here at Cruise Critic AND to our RCI Meet & Mingle liaison (I just got off the phone with her) <G>.

Laura

Just repeating what was told to us at our M & M and it came straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. (Clo probably would have said that one herself, lol)

I have been to two M & M's. The first one was fabulous and the second one was so-so. The reason was very obvious to me. On my first sailing we had a very active roll-call. People were talking everyday and we were having a blast. I couldn't wait to meet the people and really enjoyed doing so. I felt as if we were all friends before the sailing and enjoyed spending time on the ship with them after the M & M.

On my second sailing (last week), our thread was very, very slow. I went to the M & M because I had signed up for it, but didn't even have anyone special to speak to.

The M & M starts long before the sailing IMHO and the roll call thread makes all the difference in the world.

Sharonna

Shar,

Brad and I so wanted to be at that M&M but unfortunately had missed the ship in Miami and joined it in San Juan the day after the gathering.

Could the issue be that outside of Cruise Critic, many people don't recognize the Meet & Mingle for what it is an confuse it with some sort of Singles event?

I was sorry you missed the M & M as well, you were one of the few people who actually tried to keep the thread going with me, but as I said above, you didn't really miss too much.

Hope you had a fabulous cruise.

Sharonna

If it hadn't been for CC and the M&M parties we wouldn't have met so many great people that have became close friends.

We are also on the Jewel Baltic's cruise on the 14/5 . We have 55 people signed for the M&M . I am really looking forward to meeting everyone at the M&M party and gift exchange.

We are so looking forward meeting up with our freinds from NJ and Canada that we met years ago on a cruise.

I don't care what RCL serve at the party ... it's all about the People not the food .

slain go foil .:)

If it hadn't been for CC and the M&M parties we wouldn't have met so many great people that have became close friends.

We are also on the Jewel Baltic's cruise on the 14/5 . We have 55 people signed for the M&M . I am really looking forward to meeting everyone at the M&M party and gift exchange.

We are so looking forward meeting up with our freinds from NJ and Canada that we met years ago on a cruise.

I don't care what RCL serve at the party ... it's all about the People not the food .

slain go foil .:)

Well said Sadie....we met Sadie and her husband George on a cruise on Radiance last April along with many other CC members that faithfully posted daily before our cruise. We got to know these people well before the cruise and after finally meeting them at the M&M, developed a long and lasting friendship. Without the M&M we would have probably been ships passing in the night! After returning from our cruise, we all decided on a reunion cruise, but unfortunately we had to make it for 2007 because of everyone's conflicting schedules. We have a thread started, no dates, yet, but have been chatting daily. Meet and Mingle is all about getting to know the folks that you have been chatting with over the months; folks that share the same interest as you do not the refreshments that are served, though it is a nice thought on RCI's part. It's unfortunate that folks sign up for the M&M, and then don't show up. As MACOP said, another cruiser from Ohio, make your M&M more interesting by bringing a small gift from your hometown.........it really adds to the fun.

Hi all

Jim and Patti, I didn't know that you knew George and Sarah - small world or what! We met on the Brilliance in September 2003.

I guess we were really lucky with the group on the Jewel in August. As Sarah says it's much more about meeting new and old friends than some canapes and cheap fizz.

So far for July, there's 4 of us on the CC site for the Serenade to Alaska :( .

Sarah - regards to your golfing other half.

Ciao for now

Chris

I guess I don't exactly understand. Both of the Roll Calls that you started are still there. 1 person has replied, and you can keep bumping it up by adding new posts to it to find other cruisers.

Your threads are here.

Here is your Dec. 23, 2005 one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=264784&highlight=Rhapsody

And here is your July 18th one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=206839&highlight=Rhapsody

I'm not sure how to explain it or what else to say. :) They will show up under your own subscriptions, if you use the thread tool. You need to post to the same thread in order to keep it up there and find others. It is tough to find people sometimes, but starting multiple threads doesn't make it easier. Hope you meet others. !:D

Thanks for the info on finding "old" links. I have gone back to old ones before to see if anything new has been posted but I guess I never thought to use it as a tool to keep a link going.

Great!:) Make sure your instant e-mail notifications are turned "ON", and you will know right away when someone replies. Hope you have better luck than we've had. I have our roll call link posted in my signature.:D

We really look forward to the M&M and Always turn-up for it!!

Never experienced competitions and parties, but that was on Celebrity and we were offered coffee. It is great fun to meet others and even though some are not well-attended, I see no reason for discontinuing them!!

Like everything in life, some you win and some you lose!!!

We are on the Jewel Transatlantic on April 30th and I am sure most will turn-up for the M&M.

So far, the two M&M parties I have gone to have had poor turnouts. The second one was a bit better than the first, and everyone got a gift and there was the raffle, but then they decided that since there were so few of us, we would all get a prize, and it was delivered later in the week. This one was on the Jewel. They scheduled it at the same time as the Welcome Back party for repeat cruisers, so I chose the M&M and then went to the second Welcome back party for the other dinner seating.

Scheduling the M&M at the same time as the Welcome Back party was pretty stupid!!! No wonder that one had a poor turnout. Good luck on your next one - hopefully third time's a charm!

we had a M&M on the Brilliance last March and were so looking forward to it, great to meet fellow critics, however no-one from RCL turned up! a crew member happened to walk in 'cos she was wondering what we were all doing? after a phone call to whoever she told us the cruise director was 'too busy to attend'

very disappointed to say the least

Our M&M on the Billiance in Jan was really nice. RCI provided juices and canapes. Caviar even!!! DH loved that. The crew member we had was very pery and got everyone to say where they were from and their names. We were able to identify each other without looking at name tags. There were about 35 people. It was held on the first day of the cruise which happened to be a sea day. Becky Thompson the CD came and spent a lot of time chatting with everyone. She tried to do a one on one with almost each couple or group. One of the best M&M's I've been to. Hate to see them do away with them.

I also received an email telling me when the M&M was to be held before we even cruised, then got the invitation in our cabin the night before.

This will be our third cruise, but our first potential M&M. I say potential because we only have 15 signed up even though many people have dropped in, or contributed on the thread for our sailing. I wonder, do they think if they sign in on the thread, they are signed up for the M&M?

I actually came across the Cruise Critic Site by accident, our TAs never told us about it. Since our cruise is mostly sold out except for inside cabins and some ocean view, I think people aren't aware of Cruise Critic or the M&M..

I love meeting people, that is why I signed up for the M&M. It is my hope that even if we don't get enough for the official M&M, we will set a time to meet anyway. Meeting new people on vacation can be fun.

A few comments this far in....

One, is if you are at the M&M because you expect free food and drink, ala liquor and canapes from the cruiseline, I guess disppointment will be in store, and your reason for being there is in contrast to the intent of the gathering.

Two, if after the sailaway with your roll call friends you feel you have had enough, I get it and it might be a good idea to get that out in the open for discussion here, especially since there is no free liquor...;)

Three, maybe the M&M's should be a fixed day and time, just like the muster drill is, and then the margin for drop outs due to unanticpated scheduling conflicts is removed since you know when you sign up what's what before you sign up to particpate.

Four, let's figure out if the cruiseline really needs to offer a special room for the event, maybe they hold it in an area in the Windjammer where there is already food at lunchtime, or on the pool deck where anyone can purchase what ever they drink anyway, maybe they segregate a smaller venue in a common area where staff is already in place. Maybe the coffee bar, maybe those who attend get a regular coffee or hot tea and danish in exchange for an invitaiton at the counter for those who really think free is requisite.

Five, there seem to be a number who do want to attend, who do want to socialize, who do want to participate, maybe the cruisline just thinks in terms of smaller numbers, in already public areas and it works for those who it really means something to.

Just my thoughts....

I went to a M & M on serenade last Feb. Talk about Lame! 8 people showed up. They charges for soda and the food was really bad. I am going to one on Navigator this Feb and hope it is better. If not than I will not waste my time!

Eight people showed up, but how many people were active on the roll call thread? I suspect that you may have barely met 25 minimum needed for RCI to schedule an M&M and that many who registered never actually participated in the online thread. You get out of the M&M what you and the other folks sailing with you, put into it. We have been fortunate in having very active roll call threads and on most of our cruises the groups met not only at the M&M but at other gatherings during the cruise - sometimes we have even met before the actual cruise.

Archived