New Cruisers P&O Dawn 11th Aug 2020 4 nights to Whitsundays

Am travelling with my elderly father as first time cruisers.  We have pre-booked a suite with balcony twin beds with disabled bathroom facilities.  We are boarding from Brisbane port, presumably the existing one as the new one being built probably won't be ready in time for our departure?  Hotels near port, seem to be booked out already - a shame as I wanted to book nearby hotel before and after our journey especially with disembarkation listed for 6AM?  Worse, comes to worse could organise a taxi from home there.

I have read some very mixed reviews about experiences on the Dawn compared with other ships & other cruise lines. 

Also, I am rather prone to motion sickness in cars & buses from very early on myself.  Advice in that area would be rather well received by me too. I once tried ginger tablets on a domestic flight and it was disastrous.

We have already booked one shore tour that we can both enjoy, travel insurance (including cruise cover) and extras so far in cruise control.  Is anyone else planning or booked to also go on this cruise whether Aussies or not, experienced cruisers or amateurs like ourselves, any age group welcome too. 

Dad and I don't really tend to drink and don't do well with great heights so won't be taking advantage of The Edge pass that comes in our additional package booked.  IF they give us those passes separately am more than happy to pass ours along to others who would really appreciate the experience.

How and how often should you tip your cabin stewards?    If all goes very well, how soon afterwards, during cruise can we organise to book another one?

Thanks for your assistance and time.

Simone & Ashley

Hi Simone. You will definitely be boarding from the Portside terminal at Hamilton as the new terminal won't be ready until October 2020.

Not sure how sprightly your dad is, but I find the best way to get to the cruise terminal is by train from Beenleigh to South Bank and Ferry from South Bank to Brett's Wharf. The ferry trip down the river is quite nice. You can of course stay in a hotel before and after the cruise, but since Mt Warren is really outer Brisbane you are virtually in Brisbane already, so a taxi to and from home would be a cheaper option. Boarding will probably start around 12 noon, so there is no need to brave peak hour traffic getting there. When disembarking remember that there is no need to get off as soon as the ship arrives at dock. The staff won't start chasing you off the ship until at least 9 am, so you can take your time and have a leisurely breakfast.

Dawn is getting on in years. That said she is quite comfortable and the inside areas are well set up. I wouldn't take reviews too seriously as it's always the most negative who make the most noise. Take the ship on her own terms and you won't be disappointed. If you suffer from motion sickness, check with your chemist about suitable medication. Like all ships, the Dawn moves around in heavy seas. That doesn't mean that the seas will be heavy, only to be prepared if they are.

In Australia on most cruise lines, including all P&O Australia cruises, you do not need to tip anybody. Tips are included in your fare. If you have the irresistible urge to tip your cabin steward I would say $20 for 4 days is more than enough.

If you want to book your next cruise I would wait until after you have gotten back and processed this one to make sure you have worked out what you want from a cruise. If you can leave at short notice, probably the best time of year to actually book a cruise is right now through to Christmas.

Happy cruising.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Hi Sinbad,

Dad isn't sprightly these days at all.  He hovers between one walking stick (sometimes), a wheely walker (other times) and if he gets physically ill (rarely now) we have a fold up portable wheelchair for him.  Not too sure how far from Southbank station and ferry is, or how far the walk is from ferry to Brett's wharf to where we will need to board from or how flat the surface but it sounds fantastic!  Otherwise, as mentioned, a cab could be alright getting there but might be very difficult to get upon disembarkation (due to the popularity as carparking is rare there?)  

Neither of us have very good balance (me all my life) and I find going DOWN staircases really difficult at best of times so we would be mostly using lifts on board or any ramps (if applicable) to get around.

Thanks for your assistance.  Where on board do you most recommend for dinner or lunch BTW?  Any ideas.

Thanks.

Definitely too much walking. I figured that might be the problem but I thought I'd mention the ferry option just in case.

From what I've seen every cab in Brisbane seems to be at the disembarkation. Although queues can still be a problem. That's one of the reasons to depart as late as possible, to let the crowd dissipate. Also, let P&O know about your dad's mobility issues, they can provide a wheelchair and expedite boarding and disembarkation for you and him. I believe that they will also prioritise you at the taxi queue, but that is also something to check up with P&O. Don't hesitate to get them helping you, they want you to have a great holiday and they have plenty of people available to help you do it. Call them.

I don't find the pay restaurants on Dawn to be worth the trouble or extra expense, but you should check them out to see if they appeal to you. Shell and Bones is just a curtained off section of the Pantry with a different menu and a price. The Salt Grill menu didn't appeal to me. That leaves the Pantry and the Main Dining Room which are both free for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The MDR is a good option for a sit down breakfast or lunch, without the hustle and bustle of the Pantry. Which option you choose will depend on whether you want a sit down restaurant type meal or a more informal cafeteria type meal.

The MDR should also be open as a lunch option when you first board and is usually far less crowded than the Pantry which is a bit of a scrum on boarding day. So first thing once you have dropped off your gear in your cabin is to head down to the MDR for lunch.

The MDR dress requirements for P&O are much more easy going than the other cruise lines, so there's no need to dress up unless you want to. Smart casual is fine.

I would like to ask whether your Dad would need the wheelchair on the ship or are you taking it to assist with embarkation and disembarkation? The ship has wheelchairs that are used to take people needing assistance on and off the ship, but they are NOT available for you to use on board. Consider whether taking the wheelchair might be more bother than it is worth. Only you can answer this question.

When you arrive at the terminal, your main luggage can be checked in for delivery to your cabin. If you do take the wheelchair, maybe you should check it in.

Embarkation starts around 11am, but when the people manning the check-in area see you Dad with a wheely-walker, you will be moved to the "assisted boarding" area. You will effectively move to near the top of the queue. Usually one of the helpers would wheel the person needing assistance on board (probably right to their cabin) and their companion walks along with them. They use the ship's wheelchairs.

I definitely recommend that you have your meals in the Waterfront Restaurant. This is included in your fare. It has a very nice atmosphere and you will be waited on. You can ask for a table for two, or you can ask to share with others. If you go to the buffet (known as The Pantry) you have to collect your own food and get your own drinks. On embarkation day, the Waterfront Restaurant (at the aft end of deck 7) is open for lunch from noon to 1.30 (last entry to the restaurant), although you won't be told it is open. They try to steer everyone to the buffet. If you want to go the restaurant, I suggest you try to arrive by at least 1.15.

We were on the Pacific Dawn just a couple of weeks ago. When we boarded, we were surprised to find a letter in our cabin advising that dinner had been booked for us in the Waterfront for 5.45pm every evening. If we didn't want that time, we could phone to have it altered. I am not sure if everyone has a dinner time slot pre-booked by the Maitre d', or if it was because we are frequent cruisers. Previously we have had to book our dinner time after we boarded. If you don't have a dinner booking, I strongly urge you to book this at the Waterfront very soon after you board.

After you board, you can put your valuables in your in-room safe and make your way to the Waterfront Restaurant for lunch. By the time you return to your cabin, it is likely your luggage will be waiting for you.

You will be told by your cabin steward about the Life Boat Drill that everyone has to attend. Do not take the life jackets. I suggest you go along to the designated area 10 minutes or so early so your Dad is sure to get a seat.

Disembarkation - Passengers are allocated different time slots. If you don't like the time you are given, you can go to the Passenger Services Desk (the Reception desk) in the atrium on deck 5 and ask for a different time. Everyone is asked to leave their cabin by 6.30am but disembarkation takes a few hours (up to around 9.30). 😒 We had put our main luggage out the night before so it would be taken ashore for us to collect in the terminal. We just had our hand luggage. We went along to the Waterfront Restaurant for a leisurely breakfast.

You should request "assisted disembarkation" unless you can manage your Dad in his wheelchair and your hand luggage with your bed clothes and bathroom essentials etc. from the last night. People needing assistance are asked to wait in a designated area where one of the helpers will wheel your Dad off the ship.

There will be plenty of taxis, but there will also be a taxi queue of probably a dozen or so people.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I couple more points I thought of.

You have requested twin beds in your cabin. We have found that very often that somehow the request for twin beds gets lost along the way or misinterpreted by the steward. If you find that the steward has made the bed as a queen, just ask him/her nicely to split the bed into twins.

As Sinbad said, tipping is not necessary. I would venture to suggest that on these P&O Aust cruises, very few passengers tip. The stewards' wages are quite OK, but if you feel your steward has gone 'above and beyond' by all means tip him/her a bit extra.

Motion sickness - The simple remedies are crystallised ginger or ginger ale. I am dubious about the common remedy Kwells as one ship's doctor said it can give SOME people hallucinations. I can't confirm that.🙂 You could get some Travelcalm (not the herbal one) or Phenergan from a chemist. Phenergan is superb, but it could make you sleepy if you take it in the day then sit down for a while. These medications affect different people differently so if you decide to buy one of these, I suggest you try it at home well before your cruise. One advantage of Phenergan is that you would get a good night's sleep.

On the Pacific Dawn you can get to anywhere you need to go by using the lifts. There are three sets. There really aren't any ramps.

When you embark (and disembark) it is quite a bit of a walk from the check-in lounge to the ship, so I urge you to accept the assistance that will be offered. Half way to the ship there is a long flight of stairs, but there is a 'hidden' lift that can be used. The other difficult part could be the ramp (gang plank) from the shore-side building to the ship. Depending on the tide, this can be steep. Once again, I mention, "accept the help that will be offered".

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Have a wonderful four days with your Dad.🙂

• 3 weeks later...

We have sailed on P&O four times - including the Jewel which is the a sister ship to the dawn.  My husband has mobility issues and the advice you have been given so far is sound.  You should be able to request wheelchair assistance in cruise control (sorry can't check!) if not, call up or just show up and seek the wheelchair assistance area.  This is fantastic, they no longer take you to the cabin but will get you to a public area close by and speed you through the queues.

I have learnt the motion sickness trick - if you take sea legs before bed you not only get a great nights sleep but you "sleep off" the drowsy affects and the next day are fine!  Green apples are the common cure onboard the ship or the acupressure bands.  In general most people are fine - they try to avoid rough waters and put the stabilisers out when they can.  

The lifts do get used a lot so plan your route - depending on where your cabin is located it might be better to walk midships once you are out of the theater to avoid congestion (and same for dinning).  People can be a bit funny about pushing in but are generally respectful if you have a walking stick etc. 

You won't disembark at 6am - it will be somewhere between 7 and 9.30 generally.  You will have to be out of the room by 8 and as said the assistance area is usually at a bar where you can sit and wait.  Be aware that this can take a fair amount of time - last cruise it was over an hour after our "check in time".  We were on a list and they would only take you after your time - so getting there early to queue jump wouldn't work.

We eat at the waterfront - after you get on board you can head down there and book a table for the cruise.  Ask if you can sit close to the entry to minimise walking to your table.  We also like breakfast there - much quieter and lunch on sea days if the limited menu takes your fancy.

In general P&O is a 3 star cruise line, if your expectations are set there you will be fine.  It is those that want a 5 star product for a budget price that write the negative reviews.  Food is always subjective but if you don't like it order something else!  Order more than one, order things you would just like to try!  We are fussy eaters and the wait staff have always been happy to take stuff off or let us mix and match from the menu.  I also ask for the kids menu or will do things like say can I just have some jelly and they will get it for me!  The menu is posted outside the main waterfront doors at breakfast so I take a photo of it and spend the day planning what I will eat.

The breakfast and lunch menus are the same each day but you can order "off menu" - pretty much if they cook it you can get it.  Don't be shy to ask - the juice is in small cups at breakfast so ask for 3!  

I would go to the muster drill earlier than 10 min - the seats do fill up quickly and they are held in main areas so you can people watch the extra time go by.

As for a second cruise - don't judge just by this one.  We don't like short cruises, they have a different feeling than longer ones and you don't really get into the groove before it is over.  I wouldn't think that this will be a "booze cruise" like some of the short ones, leaving mid week is not a weekend party trip.  We don't drink either but have always found plenty to do - or not do as that is the joy of cruising.  

We love the size of the accessible cabins - they have an assistance system (cords / alarms) which occasionally set themselves off.  Just be aware that the bridge / security / house keeper may call you or knock (or enter the cabin if no reply) as they can trigger through the motion of the ship.  This is not a problem and everyone is super gracious.  They know 99.9% of the time it is a false alarm but want to make sure you are ok.  

Just relax and don't over think - cruise one is always a mystery and travelling with mobility issues can be a challenge but P&O try to make this as easy as possible.  We did one cruise where the average age was over 70 - I had lunch with a spry 98 year old and cruising is ideal.  

If you have any specific questions just sing out.  It has been a year since our last P&O cruise but we have really enjoyed them.

Sweetp12 has made some good suggestions. I would mention that we are accustomed to an 8am deadline for leaving the cabin, but were surprised a month ago on the Pacific Dawn that everyone was asked to vacate their cabins by 6.30am. 😒 I feel this could be because the Pac Dawn usually departs on its next cruise at 2pm, not 4pm as they used to.