Horizon vs RC Adventure

petuniaflower

We are trying to decide between an 8 day Aruba/Curacao/DR on Horizon or 9 day RC Adventure to Bermuda/Labadee/St MAarten.  We have cruised Disney, NCL, MSC and Carnival before and enjoyed all of them.  Aside from itinerary we really like to focus on things to do as a family with teens/young adult kids on the ship.  Are these 2 ships comparable as it relates to activities on the ship?  Also, is there a list of such activities like escape rooms/bowling/waterslides etc?  Thx! 

8 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

We are trying to decide between an 8 day Aruba/Curacao/DR on Horizon or 9 day RC Adventure to Bermuda/Labadee/St MAarten.  We have cruised Disney, NCL, MSC and Carnival before and enjoyed all of them.  Aside from itinerary we really like to focus on things to do as a family with teens/young adult kids on the ship.  Are these 2 ships comparable as it relates to activities on the ship?  Also, is there a list of such activities like escape rooms/bowling/waterslides etc?  Thx! 

I will reiterate what I said on the RCI boards. Personally, I would choose the Carnival Horizon. It has:

Slides, sky ride and ropes course, mini golf, sports court, basketball, ping pong, shuffle board, pool (billiards), an IMAX theatre, Hibachi, Steakhouse, Pan Asian and Italian Restaurants, as well as a much better and complimentary Guy's Burger Joint!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I will reiterate what I said on the RCI boards. Personally, I would choose the Carnival Horizon. It has:

Slides, sky ride and ropes course, mini golf, sports court, basketball, ping pong, shuffle board, pool (billiards), an IMAX theatre, Hibachi, Steakhouse, Pan Asian and Italian Restaurants, as well as a much better and complimentary Guy's Burger Joint!

So the difference is that Horizon has a ropes course and pay extra theater... 

How would you rate the ice rink and accompanying ice show on Horizon? 

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

I do not know the answer, but have heard the ice rink is only open for a VERY limited time.

5 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Where is Horizon's ice rink/show?

I was referring to the royal ship and comments. I believe it was in jest from  the poster asking about it.  There is no ice rink on any Carnival ship. 

Edited by jimbo5544

4 hours ago, BNBR said:

Lots of differences, many more opportunities for pay venues (you being a ncl fan should know that since they are the king of nickel and diming.  Is Johnny Rockets free?

Edited by jimbo5544

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Lots of differences, many more opportunities for pay venues (you being a ncl fan should know that since they are the king of nickel and dime).  Is Johnny Rockets free?

Why must you ALWAYS diss other cruise lines? How would you feel if NCL fans called Carnival "Walmart of the Seas"?

4 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Why must you ALWAYS diss other cruise lines? How would you feel if NCL fans called Carnival "Walmart of the Seas"?

No dissing, just facts.    They are the king of nickel dime.  Swing over to ncl threads and read it there.  I can give examples to back it up if you want.  Carnival thread, you get positive Carnival comments. He was dissing your comments. If my not stating my views  on things stopped bashers ( who most often have never sailed Carnival from calling it Walmart of the sea, I would. 

Edited by jimbo5544

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

No dissing, just facts.    They are the king of nickel dime.  Swing over to ncl threads and read it there.  Carnival thread, you get positive Carnival comments. He was dissing your comments. 

Don't get me wrong, I would choose the Carnival Horizon over the Adventure of the Seas. But that's more opinionated than factual. Sure, they may charge more for more venues onboard, but I am starting to feel like Carnival is following suit.

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Lots of differences, many more opportunities for pay venues (you being a ncl fan should know that since they are the king of nickel and diming.  Is Johnny Rockets free?

I'm not an NCL fan at all... 

But I'm guessing you meant RCL. Which is Johnny Rockets, but NCL is the nickel and dime line... So I'm thinking maybe you are just utterly confused

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make anyways, but I'm a fan of specialty dining (and Royals new unlimited dining plan) and enjoy a lunch at Johnny Rockets sometimes.  Carnival has nothing comparable. 

Anyways, Vista class seems to get a lot of hate here.  I'd take Adventure. Better shows, better theater, ice shows, good slides, nice and spacious ship (voyager class) and I like the itinerary better, plus it's a longer cruise. 

Activities will be fairly similar between the two ships. Anyone can stay as busy as they want. 

Edited by BNBR

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

I'm not an NCL fan at all... 

But I'm guessing you meant RCL. Which is Johnny Rockets, but NCL is the nickel and dime line... So I'm thinking maybe you are just utterly confused

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make anyways, but I'm a fan of specialty dining (and Royals new unlimited dining plan) and enjoy a lunch at Johnny Rockets sometimes.  Carnival has nothing comparable. 

Lol, if you think JR and $13.95 is compared to a better burger and free at Guys than I am not the confused one.   How much is thr unlimited dining plan?

Just now, jbethel11 said:

Okay...🤨😆🧐

But, as I've mentioned, Carnival is following suit!

I'd like to see Carnival actually build decent ships.  They just keep recycling the same tired design and smashing more in to it (NCL does the same).  I think Carnival could do a killer and unique mega ship and I'm anxiously waiting for that to happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I'd like to see Carnival actually build decent ships.  They just keep recycling the same tired design and smashing more in to it (NCL does the same).  I think Carnival could do a killer and unique mega ship and I'm anxiously waiting for that to happen.

Mardi Gras is going to be their next "Mega Ship". Seems like they are cramming 1500 more people onto a larger Vista-class ship.

Edited by jbethel11
1500 more, not 1500 people.

4 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Don't get me wrong, I would choose the Carnival Horizon over the Adventure of the Seas. But that's more opinionated than factual. Sure, they may charge more for more venues onboard, but I am starting to feel like Carnival is following suit.

Cruising is evolving, make no mistake about that.  There was a time when Carnival would have never ventured into mega liners,  but when everybody else does they have to follow suit.  Same is true for for pay dinner opportunities.  

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Lol, if you think JR and $13.95 is compared to a better burger and free at Guys than I am not the confused one.   How much is thr unlimited dining plan?

Guys is a counter serve buffet station that slings precooked patties rapidly. They are pretty decent but not the best at sea (Celebrity kills Guys for poolside burgers).  Johnny Rockets is a full service sit down concept with a waiter.  Guys is comparable to the buffet and Guys is better.  If you think a buffet ststion is comparable to a sit down full service restaurant, then it's you who are confused. 

For our upcoming cruise on Symphony, we paid $175 for the dining plan for the week.  All the speciality dining you want, including Playmakers.  Can do Wonderland for dinner and late night nachos at Playmakers, etc. I think it's a bargain. 

3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Well we will have to see what The Mardi Gras turns out to be.  

6 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Mardi Gras is going to be their next "Mega Ship". Seems like they are cramming 1500 more people onto a larger Vista-class ship.

Carnival doesn't have a mega ship. But maybe Mardi Gras will fit the bill?  I'm open minded about it. Hopefully it's not just a jam packed Vista, lol!  

I'm not a Carnival hater. My last cruise was on Magic.  But I'm a bit tired of their product and prefer the Royal megas. I'd desperately love to see some damn competition as it would just be more fun options to pick from. 

A quick look at the Mardis Gras marketing materials suggest Carnival is at least somewhat trying to emulate the Royal neighborhoods concept. We'll see.

Edited by BNBR

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

Guys is a counter serve buffet station that slings precooked patties rapidly. They are pretty decent but not the best at sea (Celebrity kills Guys for poolside burgers).  Johnny Rockets is a full service sit down concept with a waiter.  Guys is comparable to the buffet and Guys is better.  If you think a buffet ststion is comparable to a sit down full service restaurant, then it's you who are confused. 

For our upcoming cruise on Symphony, we paid $175 for the dining plan for the week.  All the speciality dining you want, including Playmakers.  Can do Wonderland for dinner and late night nachos at Playmakers, etc. I think it's a bargain. 

You just made my point in nickel and diming.  I have heard thar junk about Jr and waiter, it is a burger, greasy burger guys is simply much better than JR’s, forget about the Grease pool half cold sludge pies they serve in wind jammer or wipe out.  Sorry, not even close.  

3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Carnival doesn't have a mega ship. But maybe Mardi Gras will fit the bill?  I'm open minded about it. Hopefully it's not just a jam packed Vista, lol!  

I'm not a Carnival hater. My last cruise was on Magic.  But I'm a bit tired of their product and prefer the Royal megas. I'd desperately love to see some damn competition as it would just be more fun options to pick from. 

To each their own, we sailed Oasis and as we debarked we looked over and saw The. Arnival Freedom and looked back at Oasis and said never again.    

Just now, BNBR said:

Carnival Mardi Gras will have a PSR of 29, while Vista has a PSR of 28. Harmony of the Seas has a PSR of 36.

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

To each their own, we sailed Oasis and as we debarked we looked over and saw The. Arnival Freedom and looked back at Oasis and said never again.    

It could have literally been any other ship that you disembarked, and you would be attracted to any other Carnival ship.

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

You just made my point in nickel and diming.  I have heard thar junk about Jr and waiter, it is a burger, greasy burger guys is simply much better than JR’s, forget about the Grease pool half cold sludge pies they serve in wind jammer or wipe out.  Sorry, not even close.  

It's irrelevant which burger you prefer. I like Big Mac but I wouldn't suggest McDonald's is a comparable concept with Cheesecake Factory because they both serve burgers... I much prefer a dining experience and I think the JR burgers are actually pretty decent with the chili fries, shakes, etc.  It's an experience. Guys is a buffet station.  It's not remotely the same.  As I said, Guys is a much better buffet burger than Royal has, if that's your thing. On the flip side, Royal didn't have anything comparable to the pasta lunch at the Italian restaurant on Carnival. And I wouldn't suggest the pasta at the Windjammer is a comparable product... 

Just now, BNBR said:

It's irrelevant which burger you prefer. I like Big Mac but I wouldn't suggest McDonald's is a comparable concept with Cheesecake Factory because they both serve burgers... I much prefer a dining experience and I think the JR burgers are actually pretty decent with the chili fries, shakes, etc.  It's an experience. Guys is a buffet station.  It's not remotely the same.  As I said, Guys is a much better buffet burger than Royal has, if that's your thing. On the flip side, Royal didn't have anything comparable to the pasta lunch at the Italian restaurant on Carnival. And I wouldn't suggest the pasta at the Windjammer is a comparable product... 

You see! If only JR was free, then we would have comparable options!