BB King on Volendam?

Kenato

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Pop quiz for ya, Tad! What did B.B. King name his guitar?

Lucille !, but  I will admin to checking it on Wikipedia.

The BB part of BB King is for Blues Boy, but his real name was Riley King.

Of all the music venues on HAL, BB King Blues Club is the best.   I have not yet experienced Rolling Stone Rock Room.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TAD2005 said:

Lucille !, but  I will admin to checking it on Wikipedia.

The BB part of BB King is for Blues Boy, but his real name was Riley King.

Of all the music venues on HAL, BB King Blues Club is the best.   I have not yet experienced Rolling Stone Rock Room.

Rolling Stone Rock Room is a good addition also! Seen two different bands so far; both good and both drew a crowd

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Rolling Stone Rock Room is a good addition also! Seen two different bands so far; both good and both drew a crowd

Right after graduating from Drexel in Philadelphia in 1971, I was a DJ on the now defunct WIBG radio, 990 on the AM dial (Ancient Modulation), and I played a lot of BB-King music on the all night grave yard shift.   

Just love the "Philly Sound" of Doo-Wop and 60's & 70's rock-n-roll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I have also enjoyed RSRR on the ships that have it. Lots of talented musicians.

• Like 1

Replacing the Main Showroom with whatever name for a BB King's Club is an idiotic idea and with a 16 day cruise booked on her this Christmas, I most surely hope that I won't experience such an atrocity.  BB King's groups are great.  The Main Showroom is NOT the appropriate venue for such a group.

• Like 1

OK, I guess I need to give a little more information. The Mainstage on the Volendam, right now, is also called the BB King Blues Club, on the nights that they don't have traditional entertainment. The Mainstage is still going to be there after the dry dock, but it is being converted to a large LED screen theater, preparing for the arrival of the Step 1 dance company, which should be joining the ship some time after the dry dock. This is information gleaned from Ian, the current CD on the Volendam. Oh, and he'll be continuing on the ship at least through the Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage in January. The shows will be similar to those on the Koningsdam and New Statendam- and the Step 1 Dancers we've seen have been very good and entertaining.

7 hours ago, ginger and professor said:

I wonder if there is any way that they could turn up the amplifiers more than they do, that way you could hear them in your staterooms and would not have to go to the show.

There is a speaker manufacturer in Chatsworth,  California called Cerwin-Vega.   They make great speakers for live bands and home systems.   Their motto is "Loud is Beautiful...IF it's Clean".    If a band has garbage, cheap speakers, or amps, by turning it up, all you get is distorted music, which is very annoying.   If the amps and speakers are quality systems, the higher volumes do not irritate.   But yes, the close proximity of nearby cabins to BB-King's Blues Club will allow the sound, especially low frequency bass to travel to those areas.

5 hours ago, TonyC1952 said:

OK, I guess I need to give a little more information. The Mainstage on the Volendam, right now, is also called the BB King Blues Club, on the nights that they don't have traditional entertainment. The Mainstage is still going to be there after the dry dock, but it is being converted to a large LED screen theater, preparing for the arrival of the Step 1 dance company, which should be joining the ship some time after the dry dock. This is information gleaned from Ian, the current CD on the Volendam. Oh, and he'll be continuing on the ship at least through the Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage in January. The shows will be similar to those on the Koningsdam and New Statendam- and the Step 1 Dancers we've seen have been very good and entertaining.

This is NOT good news based on what I experienced on Nieuw Statendam during my 2 January cruises.  If Ian will be on the ship through the Grand Cruise, that means he will be the CD during my Christmas/New Year's Cruise.  (I must assume he knows about which he speaks.)

I did not care for the Step One Dance Company's performances on the Nieuw Statendam.  The backdrop of the expensive LED screen on the Nieuw Statendam was poorly and uncreatively used.

BB KIng's Club?  Yes, I do enjoy that, but I also expect more variety in entertainment in the Main Showroom than simply a "dance company" of whatever quality that others perceive.  

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is NOT good news based on what I experienced on Nieuw Statendam during my 2 January cruises.  If Ian will be on the ship through the Grand Cruise, that means he will be the CD during my Christmas/New Year's Cruise.  (I must assume he knows about which he speaks.)

I did not care for the Step One Dance Company's performances on the Nieuw Statendam.  The backdrop of the expensive LED screen on the Nieuw Statendam was poorly and uncreatively used.

BB KIng's Club?  Yes, I do enjoy that, but I also expect more variety in entertainment in the Main Showroom than simply a "dance company" of whatever quality that others perceive.  

We actually enjoyed One Step. If Prince is going to take away the production cast, then Step One at least will give you a show, without vocalists, but a show. The groups we've seen on K-dam and Eurodam were entertaining and high energy in 'Humanity' and 'Stages' 

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage and outdoor

Image may contain: 4 people, people on stage, people standing, shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage and shoes

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, shoes, indoor and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, shoes, living room and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

We actually enjoyed One Step. If Prince is going to take away the production cast, then Step One at least will give you a show, without vocalists, but a show. 

Why should I be expected to accept a "show" in place of a "show" that I enjoy?

I will attend the initial one or two performances of this Dance Company, if it shows up on the Volendam during my holiday cruise.  If I don't enjoy what I see, I won't return for future performances.  

Since my next cruise on the Volendam includes a New Year's Eve celebration in the Main Theater, a superior event that I have experienced on other HAL ships including Volendam's sister, the Zaandam,  I believe I will have a very valid comparison as to what the state  of HAL's Mr. Prince's Entertainment Domain is willing to provide.

38 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Why should I be expected to accept a "show" in place of a "show" that I enjoy?

I will attend the initial one or two performances of this Dance Company, if it shows up on the Volendam during my holiday cruise.  If I don't enjoy what I see, I won't return for future performances.  

Since my next cruise on the Volendam includes a New Year's Eve celebration in the Main Theater, a superior event that I have experienced on other HAL ships including Volendam's sister, the Zaandam,  I believe I will have a very valid comparison as to what the state  of HAL's Mr. Prince's Entertainment Domain is willing to provide.

What I wrote was that we enjoyed their performances, all three of them. What you think of them is entirely your prerogative. And, yes, we do miss the full cast; their shows in the last couple of years were just starting to get good when the director of HAL entertainment decides to pull the rug from under them, go figure

My wife and I have seen both Step 1 shows, on the Koningsdam, with the huge background screens, and on the Eurodam with a more abbreviated screen. We enjoyed both venues, and the dancers were very talented. I look forward to seeing their other shows as well. 

We've got a big upcoming cruise on the Volendam, and we'll be excited to see the changes post dry dock!