New Zealand Passport Control?

WESTEAST

In preparation for our upcoming February cruise, we've got our visas for New Zealand (and Australia) online and are now wondering when we enter New Zealand onboard our cruise ship, will there be a face-to-face meeting on our first port of entry (Dunedin) before we can go ashore?  We arrive in Australia by airport so the normal airport processes take place.

On past cruises mostly in Europe, the cruise line has our passports and announces when the ship and passengers are cleared to go ashore.  Thanks for info!

8 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

In preparation for our upcoming February cruise, we've got our visas for New Zealand (and Australia) online and are now wondering when we enter New Zealand onboard our cruise ship, will there be a face-to-face meeting on our first port of entry (Dunedin) before we can go ashore?  We arrive in Australia by airport so the normal airport processes take place.

On past cruises mostly in Europe, the cruise line has our passports and announces when the ship and passengers are cleared to go ashore.  Thanks for info!

No the ship does it .

When you get on the ship in Sydney,Australian immigration will process you.Its brief,no paper work or card to fill in and off you go. You keep your passport,put in the safe in your cabin.

In Dunedin there’s no formalities just walk off the ship.The security is strict as it’s a commercial port.You will need your sea pass and photo ID to get back into the secure area and back on the ship.

If you return to Sydney and disembark you don’t need your passport.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

I came on here to ask the same question.  Original poster might be on one of the cruises I'm on (Jan. 6 - if you, have you found the Roll Call for Jan. 6?). 

I hope the original poster doesn't mind me jumping on here, but since my situation is similar, before starting my own post, I thought I'd ask some questions here.  My situation is a little different.  I'm flying to Bali and boarding the ship in Bali,  Then the ship goes to Exmouth, Australia.  It arrives later in New Zealand, first cruising Milford Sound and then stopping in Dunedin.  Does anyone know how immigration in Australia and New Zealand is likely to be handled, and how long it might take?  (The ports would be Exmouth, Australia, and Dunedin, NZ.)  

When we stopped in Auckland near the end of a Hawaii/Tahiti cruise only those passengers disembarking there had to go through passport control, those of us in transit did not need to.

Australia now requires a face-to-face passport inspection for all passengers at the first Australian port. There is no way of telling how long this will take as it depends on the number of passport officers, the number of passengers on the ship, and how well the cruise line organizes it. 

On 10/19/2019 at 8:21 AM, roothy123 said:

I came on here to ask the same question.  Original poster might be on one of the cruises I'm on (Jan. 6 - if you, have you found the Roll Call for Jan. 6?). 

I hope the original poster doesn't mind me jumping on here, but since my situation is similar, before starting my own post, I thought I'd ask some questions here.  My situation is a little different.  I'm flying to Bali and boarding the ship in Bali,  Then the ship goes to Exmouth, Australia.  It arrives later in New Zealand, first cruising Milford Sound and then stopping in Dunedin.  Does anyone know how immigration in Australia and New Zealand is likely to be handled, and how long it might take?  (The ports would be Exmouth, Australia, and Dunedin, NZ.)  

We are on the Oceania Feb 3-17 cruise and believe we have the identical ports of call for the Australia to New Zealand segment for you. We do have a Roll Call and I also scan your January Roll Call as always good information. Roll Call: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2624526-february-3-2020-sydney-to-auckland-outrageous-outback/