Is the QE as "Dressy" as the QM2?

jimdee3636

My wife and I took our first Cunard cruise this past summer---21 nights on the QM2. Of those 21 nights, seven were formal nights, and two or three of those were "themed" formal nights (Roaring Twenties, etc.). We actually liked all of that, and we're wondering if we can expect something similar on the Queen Elizabeth. We've just booked a 19-night Vancouver-to-Tokyo cruise for September of 2020 on the QE.  

The dress codes are identical.

Although it can sometimes change, the basic rule is when crossing the Pond there will be 3 Gala/formal nights per week, whilst on a cruise it's 2 per week. 

There are always themed nights aimed at the ballroom dancers, but mose pax don't tend to follow the theme or participate.

Stewart

Certainly not on Alaska cruises as I experienced earlier this year. The Queen Mary 2, particularly on the transatlantic crossings has always been seen as more dressy in the evenings, often down to the demographic of the guest and the fact that it's not port intensive.

I think on most voyages the dressiness of Gala Nights is much the same, i.e. pretty dressy. What tends to vary more is the dressiness of non-formal nights. Passengers on a warm weather cruise with an early evening  departure from port are likely to look more casual than those in mid-Atlantic, I think.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Certainly not on Alaska cruises as I experienced earlier this year. The Queen Mary 2, particularly on the transatlantic crossings has always been seen as more dressy in the evenings, often down to the demographic of the guest and the fact that it's not port intensive.

That was my experience as well. On a 10-day Alaska cruise there were only two gala nights. The first night was listed as smart - jacket optional. Even the lunch-time reception for top-tier Cunard World Club members was jacket optional. Many passengers ignored this and dressed traditionally.

This was a significant lowering of standards since our first cruise on the QE a few years ago. On the seven-night cruise to Norway there were three formal nights. I heard no complaining about this.

14 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

That was my experience as well. On a 10-day Alaska cruise there were only two gala nights. The first night was listed as smart - jacket optional. Even the lunch-time reception for top-tier Cunard World Club members was jacket optional. Many passengers ignored this and dressed traditionally.

This was a significant lowering of standards since our first cruise on the QE a few years ago. On the seven-night cruise to Norway there were three formal nights. I heard no complaining about this.

That is really further dumbing down.  A couple of years ago there was a very active thread regarding "jacket optional" on QV Med cruises.  The arguments for jacket optional usually cited the hot climate.  But on an Alaska curise?  Sweltering heat and humidity can scarcely be the excuse. 

7 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

That is really further dumbing down.  A couple of years ago there was a very active thread regarding "jacket optional" on QV Med cruises.  The arguments for jacket optional usually cited the hot climate.  But on an Alaska curise?  Sweltering heat and humidity can scarcely be the excuse. 

As far as I remember, the crux was it was the first night of Med. cruises, when, for whatever reason (?late flight arrival times?) people might not have fully unpacked. Could the same apply with Alaska cruises?