First Time Question

GlitzyToes

Hello to All,

We are going on our first cruise at the end of November. This is our first cruise and it's pretty last minute (booked it this week!) Anyways, our family won't  have passports in time for the vacation. NCL said that travelling with our state issued birth certificates is acceptable but, I was wondering about booking excursions outside of NCL's offerings. I saw on this board about a day trip and the representative explained they don't require passports but that our cruise would? Are we limited to excursions we can book via NCL or will we be able to book other excursions and not have to show a passport to get through a customs point somewhere? Thank you for your kind help,

As long as everything goes ok, you will be fine, BUT if something goes wrong and you need to get home from a foreign country, you will wish you had a passport...

you can easily get one by the end of November..I would pursue it. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

My son just got his first passport. Took only two weeks. So, if you’d feel better having them, you should have time. But the others and NCL are correct. If you’re leaving from and returning to the U.S., you’ll be ok with just the birth certificates for most ports on a closed loop cruise. There’s one port in the Caribbean that’s now requiring a passport but I don’t remember which port it is. 

Well boils down to where you sailing to and from 

closed loop starts stops same USA port than technically no passport needed 

any other cruise that that vists a foreign port or Canada and start one port ends another than you need passport

now the technically 

if while in a foreign port anything happens you need our need to be flown home or fly to another port then guess what need passport