Any experience with Travelex Insurance?

SweetPea2222

I am considering purchasing a Travelex policy via insuremytrip.com for an upcoming Caribbean cruise, mostly for the medical and evacuation coverage.  During a Mexican Riviera cruise, my husband experienced symptoms suggesting appendicitis, and we had to disembark in Cabo for diagnostic screening at a local medical clinic.  We had purchased a TripMate policy recommended by our TA.  When it came time to obtain reimbursement for the medical expenses we had paid (via our credit card), it was virtually impossible to reach anyone at TripMate.  Emails went unanswered.  Phone calls were routed to an automated system that went nowhere.  This went on for weeks.  If not for the intervention of our TA, I'm pretty sure we never would have received a payment from TripMate.  Needless to say, we won't use TripMate ever again.

If you've had experience with Travelex -- positive or negative -- I welcome it.  Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

We had two similar experiences with Trip Mate and we will never use them again.  It was HORRIBLE!  Exercise in frustration and incompetence.  My understanding is trip mate is the claims processing component and is used by Travel Safe and Global Alert and possibly other trip insurance companies.  Now when I buy insurance I make sure Trip Mate is not going to be doing the claims processing.

• Thanks 1

If you are interested in claims experiences with full travel insurance, including medical and also cancellation/interruption/etc., then we can vouch thus far for Travel Insured.  We've had several experiences with  TI, including some relatively large claims.

We also get MedJetAssist, so that IF either of us ends up admitted to a hospital (and an inpatient, not ER/observation/etc.) at least 150 miles from home, then WE get to make the decision about being medevac'd to the hospital of our choice in our country (USA), without needing the approval of insurance beancounters or local medical staff.

All that is needed in that situation is that the patient be stable enough to be transported, including in a full air ambulance with medical staff.

(There is an AARP - I think that's it - discount, so don't forget to ask about that.)

We get both of these policies through TripInsuranceStore.com - and they can also help with claims IF that should become necessary.  Since there is no extra charge to us for getting the policies through TIS, that's definitely a plus.  Although we've never had a claim denied by TI, we have asked Steve/TIS to try to get some action from TI, and then we heard from them the next day.

GC

On 11/8/2019 at 7:36 AM, erdoran said:

Lots of good reviews on here for Geoblue for medical and evac...worth having a look.  I am planning to buy the annual plan when it gets closer to my trips...

The problem is, GeoBlue is not available in all states.

I am in MD and cannot get it.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

The problem is, GeoBlue is not available in all states. I am in MD and cannot get it.

For others reading this, in addition to MD it is also not available in WA and NY.  It is available in all other states.