NCL Star to Alaska - Seasickness

kmgl

I have heard that the Alaska cruises don't have so many problems with seasickness as compared to Caribbean cruises because the ship is close to land most of the time. Is this true or false?

Also, what about whale watching excursions on smaller boats at the ports? Will we need seasick medicine for those trips?

Thanks.

My roughest cruise was in Alaska. Five out of my six cruises were very smooth - the sixth one had a very rough day on the last day back to Vancouver. Several crew were sick.

If you are prone to sea sickness - bring medication.

Like Coral, my roughest cruise thus far was Alaska.

Sadly, it was my sisters first cruise and we had to skip Skagway, the port she was most looking forward to. But she still had a great time.

-Monte

It is a myth. 3 out of 12, for me in Alaska have had rough sailing. But not my worse. :) If prone to motion sickness, TAKE PRECAUTIONS. Bottom line. If you take long acting measures, then you will be "covered" for it all,- flying, small boats etc.

Caribbean cruises have been the easiest on me for motion sickness. I get motion sickness very very easily. I have tried just about every remedy known to mankind!! I have found out a few more silly remedies I am going to try. What the heck, it can't hurt.:D

We have been very fortunate on our five cruises as we have not had a real bad day at sea yet. We still take meclizine throughout the cruise just in case though. Those cruises include the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Alaska. Some of our roughest days have been on the type of excursions you are talking about. The worst was our eight-hour excursion to Kenai Fjords near Seward. Several people on that excursion got sick. So if you're prone to seasickness, or like in my case never been seasick, I would still take precautions. We always do and have been very fortunate.

We experienced one night of rough seas last May coming out of Seward, Alaska. Your cruise is a significant investment of time and money - be prepared with the medications that work best for you. We were able to get by with over the counter medicines - bonine and one that I purchased from the Wild Oats chain of stores, a homeopathic remedy which I just can't think of the name of.....but it was recommended on these boards. Something about Motion.....

Caribbean cruises have been the easiest on me for motion sickness. I get motion sickness very very easily. I have tried just about every remedy known to mankind!! I have found out a few more silly remedies I am going to try. What the heck, it can't hurt.:D

Ginger I understand is good for the sickness.. those bands for your wrists do not hurt either:o

Archived