obstructed view cabin question please

jalakim

We had an obstructed view room on the Sun Princess and it was a lifeboat right smack dab in our picture window. You should be able to look up your room number and check out the deck plans to see what is in front of that window. It wouldn't have been so bad but it seems like the staff spent alot of time working on that paticular life boat and were forever peering in at us. Definately not worth the extra $ if you can get an inside room cheaper.

Different answer for each ship. The basic answer is your view out the window or port is anywhere from totally blocked to something that you can hardly see. The only thing you can be sure of is some sunlight in your cabin.

We had an obstructed view room on the Sun Princess and it was a lifeboat right smack dab in our picture window. You should be able to look up your room number and check out the deck plans to see what is in front of that window. It wouldn't have been so bad but it seems like the staff spent alot of time working on that paticular life boat and were forever peering in at us. Definately not worth the extra $ if you can get an inside room cheaper.
Most obstructed view cabins have lifeboats outside, and we have encountered one where they performed maintenance on the boat (they inspect all boats during the cruise as routine maintenance). However, if, as suggested, you look up where the cabin is with respect to the lifeboat and choose a cabin near the front (bow) of the boat, most of the time you can look over the small front deck of the boat and see the ocean and weather outside.

We find that it is important for our enjoyment to be able to see something outside, even if it is only the sea and sky. The extra $ is well worth it for us.

Here are a few pictures showing various obstructions. Hope they help! These are from various ships but I'm sure most ships are similar.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/94798125/1094798125050248351LTtnDU

http://community.webshots.com/photo/345180745/1345181954058621553vUrDBd

http://community.webshots.com/photo/356108379/1356117710071320604vyxLzv

We had 2 obstucted view cabins on the Emerald deck on the Sapphire in December.

One was between 2 lifeboats with very little obstruction and the other looked out over the lifeboats but you could still see the sea. This is exactly what I expected from looking at the ship's layout.

tonyt

One sunny afternoon, we were in obstucted view cabin taking a nap. Soon the nap turned into other activity. We were on Constellation with extra large window room. Actually, the width of the window was almost the width of the room. We got good ocean view despite the lifeboats. Before I knew, there were workers working on the lifeboats. I didn't know how long they had been walking along the metal corridor between the lifeboats and window. The window was so wide it took me a while to close the drape. I am sure some of the workers got some free entertainment.

We are booked in cabin C109, Caribe Deck on the Sapphire princess for the 29 April 2006 Cruise. The cabin has an obstruction. It lookes like a big pole or support structure of some sort. No biggie. As long as we get some natural light in the cabin. When we booked the cruise we were able to get an outside obstructed cabin for the same price as an inside cabin. Nothing wrong with that deal.

Curious....I've got a trip on Feb. 12th on the Star Princess. Room is E209 which is the most forward obstructed view cabin. Does anybody have a picture viewing from this window? I tried to find one that wasn't looking directly at a lifeboat. The good news, it was the same price as an inside cabin.

Archived