Bringing food on board

ufalum88

My special needs daughter cannot eat milk products, eggs or gluten; so we need to bring a non-dairy yogurt for her breakfast (and no her diet cannot vary), vegan cheese and gluten free pizza crusts. MSC acknowledged that they will not have these items on board. The functionaries with whom I spoke could not have cared less about my daughter's well being. They continue to repeat the same mantra: Perishable food items are not permitted to be brought onboard due to U.S. Public Health Guidelines.

This is odd because on past cruises, MSC did not have an issue.  Most cruise lines accommodate us by making sure that they have items for my daughter's needs.  RCCL, Disney, HAL, etc have all had items for her brought on board.  Albeit, with RCCL, we had the same issue until I spoke with one of the line's vice presidents.  Would anyone know a muckety muck from MSC with whom we can speak?

Any suggestions?  I cannot go on a cruise and just feed her gluten free pasta, berries and cheerios for a week.

Edited by ufalum88

so are you saying you have cruised with MSC in the past in the USA and you have taken these onboard with you? 

Have you spoken to the special needs department because on many ships they do cater for Dairy , egg, gluten allergy sufferers . 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Healthwise has the highest of priorities.

If MSC cannot accommodate your requirements, it's so simple: cancel and rebook on the cruise lines that have met your requirements in the past.

Yes and to add for anyone with any kind of special need it is always best to check with each cruise line about the specifics for each ship  (as ships do vary in what is offered) before you actually book the cruise . 

The same goes for land hotels or even restaurants its always best to research if they can accommodate your needs as some do it far better than others

I have never heard of any cruiseline not letting food items on board.  They are probably parroting actual US health regs. 

I would keep trying to get someone in special needs, but regardless of outcome just pack and bring. 

I have carefully read the Passenger Contract, and Terms of Carriage.  I did find the wording related to alcohol (not) being brought on board, but did not find anything related to food.

However, there is this wording on the baggage tag that is provided with the ticket to our upcoming cruise.

2019-10-25_09-39-35.jpg.ddbd8230b9ddab7eb3a7dbac84c36f7a.jpg

Following---

as I know CPAP users were shocked to find that MSC would not provide distilled water for medical equipment (other lines do) and told the pax to carry on the water.

THAT was interesting as it IS heavy and most often provided free -- This pax was told NO that MSC would NOT provide it even for a price.

Also other lines require the pax use the ships' extension cords whereas MSC told that pax to bring their own.

In this case--the pax NEEDS special food and the line is 1- not providing it, and 2- telling pax they cant bring it.

Something has to give-- Hope the Special Needs Dept helps

Does anyone have that email/phone for that dept? Do they respond? Answer their phone?

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 4:51 PM, Fogfog said:

Following---

as I know CPAP users were shocked to find that MSC would not provide distilled water for medical equipment (other lines do) and told the pax to carry on the water.

THAT was interesting as it IS heavy and most often provided free -- This pax was told NO that MSC would NOT provide it even for a price.

Got off the Armonia on the 21st and my cousin was able to get distilled water onboard for his CPAP.

On 10/25/2019 at 8:37 AM, G.M.T. said:

Healthwise has the highest of priorities.

If MSC cannot accommodate your requirements, it's so simple: cancel and rebook on the cruise lines that have met your requirements in the past.

My sentiments.  Besides needing to comply to health standards as a business, they have a right to set the rules. As there are choices, you need to make the ones that work for you and your daughter.  I fully understand making accommodations for children's and adult's food sensitivities and allergies. For some it is easier to roll with than for others.