Formal nights on Independence of the Seas

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

For a 5 night, it should just be a dress your best, instead of formal

It has changed.

"Think of our formal dress code as a night out in your best black-tie look — suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns are all acceptable options. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion. Our Chef’s Table dining experience also enforces a formal dress code policy."

I have done a couple 5 night cruises on Independence and the formal night is the second night. It says black tie and gowns, and while that is nice, don't feel pressured. If you don't want to dress up at all, you can always eat at the Windjammer. Even in the Main Dining Room, you will see varying levels of dress. Full suits, black tie and gala type gowns aren't as common. Mostly its cocktail dresses and sports coats, or maybe work/church outfits. And of course, there are people in cargo shorts, tank tops and hats. I know that some people look down on those people but for me, it doesn't change my experience at all. If someone doesn't dress up, it does not impact me at all so who am I to care? Be comfortable and try not to stress about it. It is only one meal.