Changing My 2020 Alaska Trip Need ideas

AlanF65

Hi,

I booked a B2B 5-15-2020 on Radiance and was stopping in Glacier bay twice (once each direction). Yesterday they dropped Glacier bay and added Skagway. My goal was to see Glacier Bay this year and Hubbard again. I thought with two stops to each I would have better luck of  at least 1 good day in each.

I want to do Tracy arm Fjord from Juneau on Adventure bound on one leg. Some of the stops don't seem to have enough time.

I have a 6 hour Kenai Fjords excursion booked and Glacier wind in ISP on a 6 man. Would like to just move dates on those two.

My options are

1) B2B on HAL

2) NB on HAL, 4-5 days land on my own in Alaska, SB on Radiance.

3) 14 day HAL Vancouver to Vancouver, lots of new stops, no Glacier bay

image.png.3161b73b63b1f9f991f5272f79ff6130.png

4) Other ideas please,  Princess and NCL seemed more right now

Thanks

Alan

Edited by AlanF65

Princess NB has GB and used to allow for enough time for Tracy Arm through AdventureBound.

I have gone with the same thought process - hoping if you hit the place 2x, at least 1x it will be nice. May is usually a good month to go for Glacier Bay.

Princess NB usually has enough time for Adventure Bound and stops at Glacier Bay and College Fjord. SB stops at Hubbard and Glacier Bay. I've done this numerous times, there are few options that are in Juneau for the Adventure Bound trip. They don't really market to the cruise crow but it is a fantastic day if you have the chance

This so tough, I like the Masdamm 14 day except no Glacier bay.  I can go back and see glacier bay on another trip.

I booked a 7 day NB  and the 14 day yesterday with $25 deposits , so they are just place holders while I make up my mind.

Thanks for comments so far. Need to research land on my own from Seward.

We originally were considering the HAL 14 day cruise but decided against it as the itinerary gave us very little port time in two of our favorite ports (Juneau and Icy Strait) for whale watching.  We love glaciers and whales so the Coral B2B is a perfect match for us.  We did B2B to Alaska on another Princess ship last year and really enjoyed the ports and scenery.

I was also considering the HAL 14 day itinerary but decided on the NCL Sun from Seattle. 

A nice itinerary and the number of vacation days worked for me.  Not enough time in Juneau for Adventure Bound though....

NCL Sun

Thursday, May 21       Seattle, WA    4:00pm

Friday, May 22             At Sea

Saturday, May 23        Sitka, AK  10:00am - 8:00pm

Sunday, May 24          Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve, AK (Cruising)

Monday, May 25         Icy Strait Point, AK   8:00am - 8:00pm

Tuesday, May 26        Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising)

Wednesday, May 27  Skagway, AK  7:00am - 8:00pm

Thursday, May 28      At Sea

Friday, May 29           Juneau, AK  7:00am -  3:00pm

Saturday, May 30      Ketchikan, AK 7:00am - 1:00pm

Sunday, May 31        Victoria, BC, Canada  7:00pm - 11:59pm

Monday, June 1        Seattle, WA  7:00am

50 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We originally were considering the HAL 14 day cruise but decided against it as the itinerary gave us very little port time in two of our favorite ports (Juneau and Icy Strait) for whale watching.  We love glaciers and whales so the Coral B2B is a perfect match for us.  We did B2B to Alaska on another Princess ship last year and really enjoyed the ports and scenery.

I think I would do the whale watch from the ship if I can't get a glacier wind for the shorter time. The princess is much more expensive as a solo balcony, close to 6.5k 1 direction. I can do the 14 day on HAL for less than that. The 14 day can do a Zodiac in Tracey Arm,  Misty fjords, Hubbard and a few other locations which I like.

43 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I think I would do the whale watch from the ship if I can't get a glacier wind for the shorter time. The princess is much more expensive as a solo balcony, close to 6.5k 1 direction. I can do the 14 day on HAL for less than that. The 14 day can do a Zodiac in Tracey Arm,  Misty fjords, Hubbard and a few other locations which I like.

I certainly understand your concerns when it comes to pricing.  We have also been on HAL and enjoy the line so I know they do offer a good product.  Since retirement, we pretty much opt for inside cabins.  We spend a lot of time enjoying the wildlife and scenery from the decks as we have a tendency to move from pace to place a lot.  I didn't know that HAL offered a Zodiac excursion in Tracy Arm -- I should check that out sometime.  The ship-sponsored whale watching trip is a negative for us as we don't like the crowds; but that is just us.  Whatever ship/itinerary you choose, I am sure you won't be disappointed.