Has anyone done 4 in a cabin on the Meraviglia / Seaside class?

JP82

Specifically as these newer ships seem to have very similar cabin design features?

I am thinking of doing a family cruise(med or Northern Europe, so Seaside/Gradiosa/Meraviglia) with myself and my Sister, her Husband, their 16 year old twins, their 10 year old twins, and their 6 yr old. And by doing test bookings MSC is definitely coming up with the best pricing (could even stretch to Aurea on the Meraviglia, but not sold on the Northern itinerary).

So to make it work was looking at my sister her husband and the 10 yr olds in one cabin. And then another with me and the 6 yr old sharing my bed (she loves me) and the two 16 year olds. It seems these ships have a sofa that converts into a pretty cool bunk bed?

I just wondered if there is any experience of this kind of setup on the forums here? And if it is likely to be bearable?

EDIT: I'm talking about Balcony cabins.

Edited by JP82

I was just on the Meraviglia...Bella Balcony...and the cabin supposedly had bunk beds.  Since it was just "me & hubby" we left the bunk beds in "sofa position".

Like all cabins, it won't be too roomy...and the storage isn't the greatest.  However, it would definitely be bearable.

• Like 1

We've sailed the Seaside 2 years in a row with 5, then 4 in a cabin (YC class) and had no trouble. We each had enough storage space, placing the suitcases under the beds.  We each got 1/2 a closet and 3 drawers (my wife is an organizer wizard!).

• Like 1

Yes, Cabin Design for Meraviglia- and Seaside-class is pretty samesame. 

For us two adults and two kids in one Cabin was always absolutely bearable. Actually many cabins at MSC are booked with four adults. 

Note that the 4 bed cabins sell faster than everything else, no chance to get one with a late booking. At least in Europe.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers. Went though the options with my sister and family this morning and as predicted she loves the idea of a Northern Europe itinerary sailing from CPH. And all agree on my proposed cabin options.

She needs to sort out a few bits before she’s ready to book though. So hopefully the cabins are available (it looks good so far) and the current offer on balconies is still going! Either way we spent the afternoon with the kids watching Meraviglia vids on YouTube! So they’re excited now!

we had 4 in our yc balcony and our friends had 5 in theirs. Its a nice size room 4 will fit fine.

4 in a YC balcony you get the main queen sized bed and than a double sofa bed big enough for 2 children or smaller teens but didn't look big enough for 2 adults.

5 in YC balcony you get the same as a room for 4 PLUS a pull down single bed from the ceiling. 

Just as an update, we saw a deal being offered with a TA for £0 deposit, and I could see through dummy bookings on the website that cabins in our experience level (Fantastica) were disappearing quick. So I decided to strike whilst the iron was hot.

Cabins 13092 and 13103 are ours! Sadly not that close, but close enough, and I think they are both the right ones that have the clever sofa that becomes a bunk bed!

Now to see if Meraviglia/MSC wins me over from RCI after Oasis round the med 2 months ago!!

24 minutes ago, JP82 said:

Now to see if Meraviglia/MSC wins me over from RCI after Oasis round the med 2 months ago!!

We sailed on the Meraviglia in the Med last November. In my humble opinion, Oasis still packs a bigger “wow!” factor, but Meraviglia is a worthy, second place. It’s indeed a beautiful ship, with many things to wow its guests. Stage entertainment on the Meraviglia isn’t nearly as good as on Oasis ships, but they do offer Cirque du Soleil At Sea performances for an extra charge which is closer to Oasis entertainment. We did pay to attend the Cirque shows on the Meraviglia and considered it money well spent!

Overall, we had a fantastic time on the Meraviglia and wouldn’t hesitate to sail on her again! Have a great cruise! 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

We did 4 in a balcony on the Seaside.  DW, myself and 2 kids.  What was nice about the bunkbed is that it has a much smaller footprint than a pullout bed, so the rooms seemed bigger because we didnt have to shimmer around the pull out bed.  Plus kids like bunk beds...but who will be on the top bunk?...let the arguing comence 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:58 PM, JP82 said:

Cabins 13092 and 13103 are ours! Sadly not that close, but close enough

That is closer than we ever could get with two cabins.

On Deck 13 of the Mera my mom could not properly find her way from 12282 to 12230 until the last day of the cruise :classic_smile:

Anyway since then she complains with every other ship that it is not as good as the Meraviglia. So I guess the main "risk" is that your travel companions with refuse other ships in the future. Even the Seaview could not change my moms mind. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YellowDog said:

We did 4 in a balcony on the Seaside.  DW, myself and 2 kids.  What was nice about the bunkbed is that it has a much smaller footprint than a pullout bed, so the rooms seemed bigger because we didnt have to shimmer around the pull out bed.  Plus kids like bunk beds...but who will be on the top bunk?...let the arguing comence 🙂

Perfect! The bit about the bed and the footprint was a big selling point to me. Seems like even when it's in bed mode it won't mess with access to the Balcony.

Well I have the 2 16 yr olds in with me who hopefully are mature enough now not to argue like that. But I wouldn't put it past them. My sister and her husband have the 10 year olds. So that's where the argument will be.

3 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

That is closer than we ever could get with two cabins.

On Deck 13 of the Mera my mom could not properly find her way from 12282 to 12230 until the last day of the cruise :classic_smile:

Anyway since then she complains with every other ship that it is not as good as the Meraviglia. So I guess the main "risk" is that your travel companions with refuse other ships in the future. Even the Seaview could not change my moms mind. 

Yeah the only thing I am worried about is the kids running between rooms to see each other / their parents. And getting the wrong cabins and annoying other passengers!!