Phone use in dining areas

Cruise Raider

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I see that there are two camps here, but I tend to agree with Iamcruzin.  Just not seeing "vocal" conversations as a true annoyance.  Sure, people are texting away, and Insta-snapping and live blogging.  But talking?  I haven't noticed it in the dining rooms, let alone noticed it to the point of distraction.

Agree...have not seen it either.  I was just meaning there are other ways to make calls now with MedallionNet.

On 11/6/2019 at 1:00 PM, Tatka said:

IMHO you dine with other people if you want to interact with them.

I recall speaking with the maitre d' on carribbean on a cruise...

He said there was a waiting list of 50 couples for two-tops.

Those folks were forced to larger tables, and clearly had no interest in inacting.

I have met some nice people on cruises ... even booked future cruises to cruise with some

again.

But, I have also been seated with some duds.

One granny would say: "My son is a doctor, and he paid for this cruise..."

Multiple times per night, every night.  (And then she would take all the breadsticks)

I have also had quite a few folks offer me their political opinions.

And, as everyone knows there are two types of people who discuss politics...

People who agree with me, and idiots.  🙂

One delightful couple recounted a previous cruise where a waiter had jumped overboard 

trying to kill himself.   The delightful folks were annoyed that the ship had to spend time

searching, which made them late for the next port.

I would prefer if some of these duds were using their phones, so I don't have to listen to them...

Now, I just get two tops.  Only poor Mrs. Pablo has to listen to me.

• Like 1

I recall speaking with the maitre d' on carribbean on a cruise...
He said there was a waiting list of 50 couples for two-tops.

Those folks were forced to larger tables, and clearly had no interest in inacting.

I have met some nice people on cruises ... even booked future cruises to cruise with some
again.

But, I have also been seated with some duds.

One granny would say: "My son is a doctor, and he paid for this cruise..."
Multiple times per night, every night.  (And then she would take all the breadsticks)

I have also had quite a few folks offer me their political opinions.
And, as everyone knows there are two types of people who discuss politics...
People who agree with me, and idiots.  [emoji846]

One delightful couple recounted a previous cruise where a waiter had jumped overboard 
trying to kill himself.   The delightful folks were annoyed that the ship had to spend time
searching, which made them late for the next port.

I would prefer if some of these duds were using their phones, so I don't have to listen to them...

Now, I just get two tops.  Only poor Mrs. Pablo has to listen to me.

We always get tables for 2. Much more convenient and faster. And if suddenly I want 3 appetizers instead of other courses, nobody else has to wait. )))
Never had problem with Princess as there are 2 anytime restaurants.

10 hours ago, Tatka said:

We always get tables for 2. 

I don't think this is everyone's experience ... during prime time ... at least not without waiting/getting a pager...

Plenty of complaints here, from time-to-time.

But, good for you.

Edited by pablo222
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pablo222 said:

I don't think this is everyone's experience ... at least not without waiting...

But, good for you.

On Princess as we are not spending time in higher level lounges (yet) we just eat outside of peak times. So it works fine for us. We only had 6 cruises on Princess, so maybe we were just lucky.

So having read all of the posts, I have come to these conclusions:  1.  If you are at a table for two and your significant other or friend does not object you can talk as much as you want on your phone as long as you keep it at a conversational level. (That means, of course, that only your friend/partner and, perhaps, the table nearest to you can hear the conversation.  2.  Texting, which is silent, is OK, but excessive texting could be considered rude by your dining mates (if you need to text that much, perhaps you need a table for two or offer an apology to those at your table or if your table mates are so worthy of secret insults, you need to sit somewhere else) or sharing pictures, which also is silent, is OK as long as you, well, you know...share.  3.  Taking photos is acceptable, as camera use has always been acceptable (However, please do not take my photo, in case I am not happy with my hair that day.)  4.  Yes, emergencies do happen.  Child at home becomes sick, parent falls and is hospitalized, someone  (God forbid) dies while you are on vacation (This happened on my honeymoon, but we did not have cell phones).  However, these should be private calls and beyond explaining why you need to excuse yourself from the table do not need to be conducted blow by blow, scenario by scenario, with your table mates (this assumes that you are not a family group, but rather, are strangers). 5.  The new Ocean Ready/Medallion does present new opportunities for using the phone, but IMO, this is equivalent to someone whipping out the Princess Patter from their pocket and discussing what to do next  (Is the next show at 8:00 or 8:15?). While dining alone with my beloved husband, I have occasionally taken out my phone because I am currently counting calories and may need to check before I order.  Otherwise, it stays in the purse.  When dining with others, it never comes out of the purse, but that is my choice; it need not be yours.  Happy cruising!