Cane with fold-down seat

skings

Hi, I use and travel with a  rollator . My sister has suggested that I also bring my cane-chair on MSC Meraviglia TA to use in some ports. Have any of you ever used this type of cane?

Would I be allowed to open it and sit? Tried it at Disney and not allowed to sit. Would it be considered a regular cane on airlines? Thanks for any info😊

2 hours ago, skings said:

Hi, I use and travel with a  rollator . My sister has suggested that I also bring my cane-chair on MSC Meraviglia TA to use in some ports. Have any of you ever used this type of cane?

Would I be allowed to open it and sit? Tried it at Disney and not allowed to sit. Would it be considered a regular cane on airlines? Thanks for any info😊

I'm seriously confused with your statement about Disney?  Are you talking about the park?  In a line?  or what?  In ports, out in the open, why would it be an issue to use?  I have never been to a country that prevented a disabled person to use any type of mobility aid.  I understand on a ship, they won't want you sitting in the middle of an aisle, but also on a ship, there are seats everywhere.  The airline won't care. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm seriously confused with your statement about Disney?  Are you talking about the park?  In a line?  or what?  In ports, out in the open, why would it be an issue to use?  I have never been to a country that prevented a disabled person to use any type of mobility aid.  I understand on a ship, they won't want you sitting in the middle of an aisle, but also on a ship, there are seats everywhere.  The airline won't care. 

Disney policy is that these and other similar items may NOT be used as a seat in the parks..anywhere.  They are not stable as they tend to only have 3 legs and can easily be knocked out from under you

stick with the rollator.  Much sturdier.  

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, spookwife said:

Disney policy is that these and other similar items may NOT be used as a seat in the parks..anywhere.  They are not stable as they tend to only have 3 legs and can easily be knocked out from under you

stick with the rollator.  Much sturdier.  

Just as a follow-up I checked.  (Note my wife will never use one, but I was confused how Disney can tell a disabled person they can't take their cane into the park).  Mobility canes/seats are not banned at Disney, just fold up camping chairs.  The difference is one is a cane, the other does not have a cane.  Although I agree that they are not the best item to use but the are not banned. 

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Just as a follow-up I checked.  (Note my wife will never use one, but I was confused how Disney can tell a disabled person they can't take their cane into the park).  Mobility canes/seats are not banned at Disney, just fold up camping chairs.  The difference is one is a cane, the other does not have a cane.  Although I agree that they are not the best item to use but the are not banned. 

They are banned as far as being used to sit down on .  Anywhere.  If the cane stays in cane mode and is not opened up to the seat, no one will say anything.  That being said, it’s better all around that you don’t t bring a cane chair in at all.  That way there is no confusion or worry about being confronted.  I myself have three different mobility aids.. a walker,a cane and a wheelchair and I use each one based on conditions relevant.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 9:45 AM, Joseph2017China said:

I used my cane at Disney last week. As long as I used it in the cane position no problem. I did open it for one of the parades and was asked to please not use it as a seat. Seats are not allowed. I will not bring it to Europe, will stick with my walker.