Service Dogs!

roger b

On 11/19/2019 at 10:55 PM, roger b said:

I started this discussion not realiziing it would start such  intense feelings.Having spent two weeks on Sirena with a dog aboard , has it made any difference to my life or my enjoyment  of  the cruise NO! 

My only thought is that it is unfair on the animal to be to be cooped up in the confined area of a ship just for the gratification  of its owners which it clearly was.

Also there were some guests  that objected to the dog being aboard as they are worried about health risks.

A cruise ship is not a place for dogs and owners can find alternative  holidays that does not affect other people .

As my last word on this post.

On 11/19/2019 at 10:55 PM, roger b said:

I started this discussion not realiziing it would start such  intense feelings.Having spent two weeks on Sirena with a dog aboard , has it made any difference to my life or my enjoyment  of  the cruise NO! 

My only thought is that it is unfair on the animal to be to be cooped up in the confined area of a ship just for the gratification  of its owners which it clearly was.

Also there were some guests  that objected to the dog being aboard as they are worried about health risks.

A cruise ship is not a place for dogs and owners can find alternative  holidays that does not affect other people .

As my last word on this post !!

Dog owner, 63, dies after being LICKED by his pet https://mol.im/a/7714499 via http://dailym.ai/android

• Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:37 PM, LuAnn said:

I have a dear friend who is a vet...who has a service animal due to severe emotional PTSD. Totally "vetted" by his various doctors and allowed to fly with him etc. as he is under care from the VA. While he has not been on a cruise with his dear dog...I would hate that those of you on this thread...would question and/or disbelieve his need for this valued companion. No....he doesn't wear a "bow"...but he is a "small dog"...and that doesn't mean he isn't of value to him. I also have a friend who has seizures...and she also has an "alert dog". Just because someone doesn't have an "obvious disability" doesn't mean they don't require assistance. Please stop judging things as you are...as you are certainly NOT in his/her shoes. YES...there are those who I think may abuse the "system"...but that is not true of everyone. Can you please have some compassion for those who need this type of care? LuAnn

Sorry, but we get upset at the 95% of fraud that actually takes place! I also have a friend that had their service dog nearly torn apart by a "fake" service dog. Her dog was conditioned to detect epileptic seizures before they occurred. It's pretty easy to tell the real ones from the fakes.

Edited by keithm
additions
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, robbie21 said:

You don't even need the fake vests or papers. Just lie if challenged. If questioned beyond the legal two questions you can file a complaint with the federal justice department (easily done on line).  The subsequent investigation can be a huge pain in the ass for the company accused,  And, believe me, these self-centered abusers are quite willing to do just that.

I have NO problem challenging these fraudsters. I snap a pic & make like I'm calling the cops. I then tell the faker about the $2000 fine & 6 mo. in jail for fraud. Trust me it works wonders. If they refuse to answer your 2 questions, you are in your right to boot them out of your business. Publix markets in Fl. does NOT allow the dogs to be in strollers or carts. It's called "4 on the floor" It has had some effect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2019 at 3:32 PM, Jancruz said:

Im checking on this with the boss..I would not be happy with a dog in the dining room..

Jancruz1

Just sounds like a scam to me.  Should not be allowed. 

• Like 1

Keith,  as an individual your approach carries little risk. So, more power to you and good luck.  For a larger organization such as a cruise line or a restaurant chain (or a hospital where I have experience) it only takes one self righteous jerk to sic the feds on you. That can be very costly and disruptive. Read that as potential fines and mandatory training for all employees. 

You should note that the likely abusers on Oceania or other cruise lines are likely to be better educated and experienced in getting away with this scam than some that you encounter in the grocery store. They might even be attorneys.😬  The law needs to be fixed

Robbie

I have not seen it mentioned but there was a small dog on the recent Code Red Marina cruise - Marseille to Barcelona. Saw it several times in restaurants, including Specialities.  

It even went on our tour to the Acropolis when the tour guide let it enter but told the owner never to put it on the ground. 

41 minutes ago, JMM99 said:

I have not seen it mentioned but there was a small dog on the recent Code Red Marina cruise - Marseille to Barcelona. Saw it several times in restaurants, including Specialities.  

It even went on our tour to the Acropolis when the tour guide let it enter but told the owner never to put it on the ground. 

After reading this I shall attempt  to  bring my dog back to the U.K from Spain next May it will be alot cheaper  than making a trip by road 

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

I guess it touches a nerve with a lot of us.  That some people can get away with that kind of scam. 

Oh,  I SOOOO get it.  Don't think the whole subject of "service dogs" and the abuses I see everywhere doesn't make me spitting mad.  I didn't comment on this thread because I didn't think I'd be able to stop ranting.

But the mental picture of a "service dog" leaving his owners table because he didn't care for sea bass and wanted to "shop" sent me into gales of laughter.