Male attire for informal and Pinnacle

longduo

My husband and I are sailing on a 7 day Veendam cruise. I'm all set with what to wear for the 3 different evening categories.

Should he bring a jacket for the informal night? Will that be required for entrance to the dining room? Would a nice silk shirt work?

How about for the Pinnacle? Somehow that feels a little more special even on a casual night. What do you recommend?

Longduo

On informal evenings a man is expected to wear a jacket; tie is optional. The dress code is for the evening---not just the dining room. The silk shirt would be perfect under the jacket.

The dress code for the Pinnacle is the same as the rest of the ship, although many (if not most) men do kick it up a notch.

How do you know which night is formal and which are casual. Can you find this out before the cruise? Will it be in the info sent by the travel agent. How far out do they send it? I still need to do some planning and would like to know which nights are which!! We sail in June to Alaska.

How do you know which night is formal and which are casual. Can you find this out before the cruise? Will it be in the info sent by the travel agent. How far out do they send it? I still need to do some planning and would like to know which nights are which!! We sail in June to Alaska.

I've never figured out why people want to know in advance which night is which standard of dress. It's always subject to change on board.

Your documents will have a summary of how many of each type of night is expect on your cruise. When you board there should be a listing of the nights already in your cabin---remember! still subject to change. Every evening the Daily Program for the next day will be left in your cabin. The program will list the dress code for that night.

I've never figured out why people want to know in advance which night is which standard of dress. It's always subject to change on board.

Your documents will have a summary of how many of each type of night is expect on your cruise. When you board there should be a listing of the nights already in your cabin---remember! still subject to change. Every evening the Daily Program for the next day will be left in your cabin. The program will list the dress code for that night.

LOL :D I have wondered this myself. I could never figure out why it would make a difference.

Even if you do find out before you leave, it is subject to change. It has changed on me more than once. On our last cruise, formal night was cancelled do to some rocking and rolling that was going on all day. It was changed until the next night.

Well ... particularly on longer cruises I like knowing when the various formal and informal nights will be (in general) so that I know WHEN I can send off my tux or suit(s) to to be dry cleaned, or shoes polished.

Well ... particularly on longer cruises I like knowing when the various formal and informal nights will be (in general) so that I know WHEN I can send off my tux or suit(s) to to be dry cleaned, or shoes polished.

Which you can get from the overview list in the cabin at embarkation.

But weeks in advance? How does that help? Especially when it's subject to change.

Which you can get from the overview list in the cabin at embarkation.

But weeks in advance? How does that help? Especially when it's subject to change.

Everything is "subject to change."

Nevertheless, it DOES help to know because a lot of people plan not only by the numbers of days, but some people are so anal that they plan for EACH day, in ORDER, so that they're not wearing the same kinds of outfits on subsequent nights. If a formal or an informal night breaks up a sequence of casual nights, one can sometime repeat a shirt or combination.

Also ... if I'm going with just 1 suit and am depending upon the jacket for both formal and informal nights I need to KNOW if the informal nights are going to be within 48 hours of a formal night, or visa versa, incase I need to dry-clean between.

Normally I bring enough that I don't have to worry about it, but on a sort (7-day) cruise I sometimes don't bother and just bring a black suit and wear clerics. Especially if I'm serving as chaplain.

some people are so anal that they plan for EACH day, in ORDER, so that they're not wearing the same kinds of outfits on subsequent nights.

"Some people" then aughta take a chill pill. Life's too short. :rolleyes:

Some posters here have said they list all their clothes by day and then follow their list and don't want any deviation to occur once they board. Some others have said they need to see all the menus so that they have all their meals planned in advance and don't have any decisions to make in the dining room. Some have to have every reservation made in advance, even for things on the ship that never ever are a problem getting in to. I often wonder what happens to them if the Capt. changes a formal night to a casual or if the chef can't get avocados that week and the avocado salad is on their to-order list, or if they don't feel up to having a massage on Weds. but it's on their master plan already. An anxiety attack?

As Ruth said 'Take a chill pill'. It's a vacation. Go crazy-try the mussels instead of the tomato juice! :D

The only reason we like to book our nights for the Pinnacle ahead of time is to make certain we get a table for the time we have requested. We don't worry about whether it is formal, informal, or casual - have gone on all those evenings.

We were disappointed a couple of times when we got on the ship and asked for a couple of nights only to find out that others had already pre-booked and there wasn't any room for us.

Yes there are times when even we suite passengers can't get reservations once we are on the ship. And I am not talking about the first evening,

Thanks to Ruth C. and Rev. Neal for the input. That is just what we were thinking. Even tho' we don't like to overpack especially for a 7 day cruise my husband will bring a dark suit for formal nights and a sportscoat for informal and the Pinnacle.

As far as people wanting (needing) to know in advance about the dress for the evening or the menus, if that helps them, great! Perhaps it helps with the anticipation before the cruise. People who don't need that info don't need to be concerned about those who do. Everyone should plan as it works best for themselves and then have a wonderful relaxing cruise!!!

Longduo:)

The only reason we like to book our nights for the Pinnacle ahead of time is to make certain we get a table for the time we have requested. We don't worry about whether it is formal, informal, or casual - have gone on all those evenings.

We were disappointed a couple of times when we got on the ship and asked for a couple of nights only to find out that others had already pre-booked and there wasn't any room for us.

Yes there are times when even we suite passengers can't get reservations once we are on the ship. And I am not talking about the first evening,

Why would you EVER eat in the Pinnacle on Formal Night? Those are the evenings when the food is the best in the Main Dining Room!! I would opt for the Pinnacle on a casual or informal night.

Clericals will cover any dress code. Believe me I know. On Formal nights I wear the white shirt french cuffs and the collar and rabbe. They always tell me how nice I look.

I do believe you ... that is precisely how I dressed on my cruise last month and, before that, on the Westerdam in November. Check it out:

westformal3c.jpg

Why would you EVER eat in the Pinnacle on Formal Night? Those are the evenings when the food is the best in the Main Dining Room!! I would opt for the Pinnacle on a casual or informal night.

I booked in PG for the second formal night after reviewing the menus for the cruise. For my taste, there was nothing that appealed.

I believe "best" is subjective. I do not order lobster on cruises, nor some of the other dishes that are generally popular.

Greg Neal:

Nice picture of you. You know I have never pictured a photo of myself and did not until within the last year fess up to being what I have been for 20 years (almost). In any event on the first fomal night on the Volendam in November 2004 I had a gal come up to me and say "Father Himself, I would like you to meet my husband." She looked at her husband and said "This is Father Himself."

Nice picture of you. You know I have never pictured a photo of myself and did not until within the last year fess up to being what I have been for 20 years (almost). In any event on the first fomal night on the Volendam in November 2004 I had a gal come up to me and say "Father Himself, I would like you to meet my husband." She looked at her husband and said "This is Father Himself."

LOL!

That's a hoot ... Father Himself!

I am frequently recognized (the Avatar helps, but so do my other photos). It's kinda weird, actually, but also very funny. I'll be walking down a corridor on the way to some place -- dining room, Explorer's Lounge, or some place similar -- and someone will see me and I'll notice a sudden expression of recognition. Then, I'll hear someone call out "Reverend Neal!" I'll stop and turn and, sure enough, it's someone who introduces themselves as having (1) read my posts on CC, (2) read reviews I've written or viewed pictures I've taken, (3) listened to my sermons on my website, (4) been to the service I presided at the previous morning. :) I've grown used to people, whom I don't know, showing signs of recognition and coming up to introduce themselves. It still unnerves my mother a bit (it happened at least 8 times on the Westerdam last November) but, otherwise, it's kinda neat. I found it interesting that most of those who introduced themselves to me on the Westerdam as CC readers were people who don't post here on a regular basis but lurkers!!!!!

The lady I am referring to used to write on these boards and perhaps still does. She knew me by the "alius" I use on these boards. I don't use it in other areas of my life. They might call me other things but not HIMSELF, as far as I know.

Archived