Clean Aft on Sky?

Chefwoody

Can anyone find out if they've resolved the soot issue on the aft cabins on this class of ship?.  My wife and I sailed Royal last year and soot still ruled.  Made you feel horrible for the poor cabin steward.  But I'm SO HAPPY they brought the aft pool back.  Such a peaceful place.

I hope they have but I'm not holding out hope.  We had terrible soot issues in an aft suite on the Royal years ago and had quite a bit of soot some days on the Majestic last month in a Caribe deck aft suite.  If it was still happening on the Majestic, I'm thinking they haven't solved it on the Sky but hope I am wrong about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Is the soot issue just with royal class ships?  I was in aft suite on emerald and caribbean and no issues at all

I have only experienced it on Royal class ships.  We've cruised on in aft suites on several other Princess ships and have never had a problem with it.  I do wonder if part of that is because the other aft suite balconies we have been on have been covered and are pretty much lined up one on top of another.  There is a large part of the aft Royal class aft balcony that is uncovered, and each lower deck juts out a tiny bit more.  Even though soot can be a nuisance (especially when flecks waft in to your wine as it did to me on the Majestic), I still love being back there.  Having the aft and side view is amazing.  Wish they could solve it but I will deal with it until they do.

Edited by azbirdmom

5 minutes ago, john_galt said:

I don't have my hopes up but I'm aft on the Sky (Owners Suite) on 12/4 and will post on what I find. It's just a 3-day so I'm not sure I'll get a good read. 

We were on the Majestic for 14 days and it didn't get to be a nuisance until the last two days.  So I think the weather conditions and wind make a huge difference in where the soot goes, and hopefully you don't have to experience it.

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

We were on the Majestic for 14 days and it didn't get to be a nuisance until the last two days.  So I think the weather conditions and wind make a huge difference in where the soot goes, and hopefully you don't have to experience it.

We were just on the Royal in an aft cabin, and when we put our hands on the rail, we got the black soot.  Plus that, there was an outdoor type mat right inside our balcony door, and the carpet looked dirty with black soot.  If we went outside barefoot, our feet turned black-there were no outside mats, and the metal deck was very hot.  We still had a great time though.  This was the second week of our back to back to Mexico.  The first week we were right in the middle.  The aft is great, but a very loong walk.

5 minutes ago, osofish2 said:

We were just on the Royal in an aft cabin, and when we put our hands on the rail, we got the black soot.  Plus that, there was an outdoor type mat right inside our balcony door, and the carpet looked dirty with black soot.  If we went outside barefoot, our feet turned black-there were no outside mats, and the metal deck was very hot.  We still had a great time though.  This was the second week of our back to back to Mexico.  The first week we were right in the middle.  The aft is great, but a very loong walk.

We also had the outdoor type doormat inside the living room door on the Majestic.  Beats the bath towels that our steward laid out inside both doors when we cruised on the Royal a couple years ago!  That time we actually put down beach towels on the chairs so we didn't soil our clothes.  On the Majestic we shook out the chair cushions before sitting down.  And we found a good use for those slippers they give you - we kept them just inside the door to use on the deck.  Once i didn't and as much as I scrubbed the bottoms of my feet, I couldn't get it completely off.  I used it as an excuse to get a pedicure when we got back.  😃

Edited by azbirdmom