Service dog onboard a longer cruise

muffyn

need help ASAP. anyone take a service dog on a longer cruise? after all the hoops a family member went thru already & stuff was AOK, now last minute she is told she cant board the ship because she doesn't have health certificate for mexico, ( this is the last day on a 15 day cruise) & is not even getting off at that port. the health certificates are not good for that length of time.

... so is this new person wrong? I need some real experience with this.

We took a Seeing Eye dog on a 21 night cruise which was 3 cruises on a B2B2B - a 7 night cruise from Vancouver to LA and then 2 B2B to Mexico (RT LA).

This was several years ago but we took the dog off in Mexico on both cruises. Are you referring to the International Health Certificate? I suggest you go over to the Disabilities part of CC as there is a forum for people who travel with Service dogs. I know a few live in LA and probably have more recent information than what I have. I am actually surprised at what the person heard.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/  

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started to think and we have done B2B RT LA to Mexico (14 nights) and didn't have a problem on that cruise either. We have done other long cruises but did not involve Mexico.

Again, these were several years ago so maybe Mexico has changed their requirements. Those in that other forum will be better versed of current situations.

Edited by Coral

According to the info on the USDA website (In the US, regulates import/export of animals), Mexico requires the International Health Certificate to be issued within 10 days of travel. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-mexico
Click on the tab for Pet Cats and Dogs and you can find more info. You could try contacting the Mexican consulate for guidance, seeing as you would have clearly started travel within 10 days of the certificate being issued, just hadn't arrive in Mexico yet

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, muffyn said:

need help ASAP. anyone take a service dog on a longer cruise? after all the hoops a family member went thru already & stuff was AOK, now last minute she is told she cant board the ship because she doesn't have health certificate for mexico, ( this is the last day on a 15 day cruise) & is not even getting off at that port. the health certificates are not good for that length of time.

Have you contacted the Princess Special Needs Dept to clarify?

12 hours ago, muffyn said:

Does she have the Intl Health Cert?

for the update . decided not to call back to princess , since it seems like the last person was not very informed.  My D-i-L has the email from Princess from July saying her dog was approved to sail.... BUT the forms & such with that email did not say anything about mexico. it had forms that she needed to sign & send back to them right after she got her health certificate (right before trip). She asked them more than once if there was anything else she needed. they never replied she did.

She faxed a bunch of stuff  in september to hawaii department of agriculture quarantine. They emailed back & said everything was fine.

soooo the problem arising was when she talked to Princess last week & they told her she had to have the certificates for mexico in force at time of arrival.

now we do have the paperwork that states "The certificate must be issued within 10 days of export" ( hawaii is 30 days). so we will be taking that paperwork. I think the Princess person was very ill informed to all this.

The one thing we were almost caught on was the mexico certificate, which she never was told at the beginning we needed. We have that form and she sent all to her vet last week, and will be going to the vet for her health certificates tomorrow, and I will verify that all are proper.

thank you all who helped on this. ( also learned we do need a special form for the bahamas,,, I think we just got lucky on past cruises, there was nothing special we needed)