Besides sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge, what to look for on sail-in to San Francisco?

Turtles06

Our Panama Canal cruise in January from NY ends in San Francisco.  My wife and I are excited to be visiting this great city again; it's been a long time. We have never arrived by ship, however, and I would appreciate any information about what to be looking out for during our sail-in.  I know it will be very early in the morning and quite possibly dark, given our scheduled 7AM arrival and the fact that ships often arrive early to their final ports in any event.  

It's my understanding that we'll sail under the Golden Gate Bridge.  Anything else to look out for (apart from the skyline of course) and the best place(s) on the ship to see it/them?

Thanks for any tips! 

Right outside the Golden Gate is an area of the ocean that is referred to as the 'Potato Patch' that the ship passes through.  These is where the river (the river flows into the bay before out to the sea) bay is basically is flowing out to sea while the sea's tides are trying to come upstream into the river, which makes quite a lot of turbulence.  In smaller boats, it's very noticeable when passing through it.

Anyway, perhaps you might be able to see this turbulence from up high.  Doubt it will make any difference to a large ship passing through it.

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Anyway, perhaps you might be able to see this turbulence from up high.  Doubt it will make any difference to a large ship passing through it.

Thanks, love the Potato Patch name. I’ll look for it (but it may well be too dark or dim out to spot). And, I agree, I doubt a cruise ship will feel it. 😊

Given the location of the cruise terminal you will definitely be sailing under the Golden Gate and along Alcatraz -- but I love to look for the Ghirardelli Square sign.  When we have cruised in or out (one time we had a late departure)  the sign has been alight.  I am a chocolate lover, and am a particular fan of Ghirardelli dark chocolates.

• Thanks 1

We have sailed in & out of San Francisco 7 times (our & Princess home port). Morning arrival at 'the crack of dawn' with the view of the San Francisco skyline is my favorite. The sail away party with views of the city, Alcatraz & the Golden Gate bridge is the high light of sailing out of San Francisco bay. 

1040636.JPG

1040638.JPG

^40299_SF-PanO-25Jul18.JPG

^40311_GGate+SF25Jul18.JPG

Edited by JJSwo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I am a chocolate lover, and am a particular fan of Ghirardelli dark chocolates.

Who doesn't love chocolate?  😋  Thanks, I will look for the sign (and hope it's lit that early in the morning!)

51 minutes ago, JJSwo said:

We have sailed in & out of San Francisco 7 times (our & Princess home port). Morning arrival at 'the crack of dawn' with the view of the San Francisco skyline is my favorite.

Thank you!  I've certainly been up "at the crack of dawn" many times for sail-ins to New York Harbor, under the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge, with the NY skyline slowly being lit up, so I have some practice.    🙂

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

San Francisco bay at 'the crack of dawn' (the line in the sky that separates day/light & night/dark), 'coming home' on the Princess with the view of the San Francisco skyline & the Bay bridge.

^40571-SF4Aug18.JPG

Watch for Fort Point, the Civil War era brick fort under the south end of the Golden Gate bridge.

In addition to Alcatraz, you should have a good view to port of Angel Island, the "Ellis Island" of the west coast used for Asian immigrants. A very sad but interesting place to visit and a nice hiking trail as well.

If you are up on deck before coming into The Bay, and are coming from the west (not from the north or south) you may get a glimpse of the Farallon Islands, 30 miles west of the Golden Gate. Huge great white shark habitat, and location of a very interesting research station.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Splinter said:

Watch for Fort Point, the Civil War era brick fort under the south end of the Golden Gate bridge.

In addition to Alcatraz, you should have a good view to port of Angel Island, the "Ellis Island" of the west coast used for Asian immigrants. A very sad but interesting place to visit and a nice hiking trail as well.

If you are up on deck before coming into The Bay, and are coming from the west (not from the north or south) you may get a glimpse of the Farallon Islands, 30 miles west of the Golden Gate. Huge great white shark habitat, and location of a very interesting research station.

Thanks for the information!   I had not heard of Angel Island, will also look into it for our post-cruise stay.  

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• 4 weeks later...

You’ll be crossing under the Golden Gate Bridge at roughly 6 AM, pre-dawn.  This can be spectacular under the right conditions.  Images are from a couple of different transits, and the first is a pre-dawn crossing coming into port.

DFC8C154-54C6-4AB1-A490-B93FF995D533.jpeg

03281113-E27F-4993-A14C-23F17BFABF62.jpeg

Edited by Michelle_P
  • Thanks 1