Traveling with medication that needs refrigeration

rcandkc

The timing may be that I need to bring my RA medication that is a shot that must stay refrigerated until time for me to get my shot. I give it to myself.  Will the medical office store it for me?  Not sure I want it in our drink refrigerator because of possibility of it getting set out when they stock refrigerator.  Anyone have experience with this?

We have always just put Arlene's insulin in refrigerator.  We have kluged together enough cooling so we can make it the 48 hours to get to the ship; traveling to Australia with a pre-cruise was a bit of an issue.  We are looking at a 90+ day cruise in a couple of years and looking at potentially using injectable instead of infused drugs for me; then we will have to get really creative on the in transit cooling.

Fridge on ship is the easy part.

Marc

7 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

The timing may be that I need to bring my RA medication that is a shot that must stay refrigerated until time for me to get my shot. I give it to myself.  Will the medical office store it for me?  Not sure I want it in our drink refrigerator because of possibility of it getting set out when they stock refrigerator.  Anyone have experience with this?

No direct experience, but I did talk to someone who had the medical center store her meds. This was a lengthy "grand voyage" cruise, so there wasn't enough space in the room fridge for the full supply. She did retrieve a few days at a time and keep those in the room fridge, to keep from having to traipse down to the med center every day. I seem to recall her saying that her TA advised Regent ahead of time about the need for this, and I imagine that she let the stewardess know to leave it alone in the fridge.

We have taken several long itinerary cruises, and One of DH’s meds are refrigerated. I called the Special Needs phone number of our cruiseline (In our case Crystal), and asked them about storing.  They stored his meds in the med center until needed.   You may want to call your cruiselines special needs number and inquire directly with them.    

I also have RA. I took 3 cruises of 12-14 days while on Embrel and Humira. I never had a problem with TSA.  I used the ice packs that were used to ship the medicine. I’m get infusions now so I don’t have to worry any more about shipping my medicine. Hope this is helpful

Rosemary

We haven't had a problem during the cruise, the refrigerator works fine and you're butler knows what to do.  On the plane I use baggies of ice, had the crew refresh the ice in the lounge before getting on the plane, also half way the crew gives me additional ice still we get to the hotel.  Don't worry--it will work out.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

You really don't need to plan, just back in ice packs for the plane.  Take a few extra baggies, ask the flight crew to fill one with ice halfway during the flight, and again just before landing.  Once jin your hotel place in Frig, more ice for the trip to the ship.  Once on the ships your frig and let your suite Stewart  or Butler know.  Done.  You'll have a red box under the sink in the bathroom for the needles.