Stayed in a Jr. Suite? Need help!

Hi - This is the first time we've sailed in anything other than a balcony stateroom. What is the difference betwen that and a Jr. suite? The RCCL book says that we need to tip $5.75/day for attendants (which is fine), we're just trying to find out what they do that would be different, and also if there is a difference to the amenities available.

Thanks so much!

With respect to the room itself, you will get more space, a walk-in closet (my favorite) which can double as a dressing room and a bathtub. With respect to amenities, I understand that this could vary from ship-to-ship, but the two we stayed in on Voyager had only the shampoo/conditioner and soap dispensers in the shower, nothing else.

Depending on the port, you will get priority check-in also. Oh, yes, and two cruise credits for C&A purposes.

Since this is not considered a "suite" with respect to getting concierge privileges, etc., you DO NOT need to tip the additional amount outlined for suites.

Geri is, as usual, absolutely correct.

In case you have any doubts, people have reported that when they have been in a JS, and have had the tips paid AUTOMATICALLY by RC, RC charges the $3.50 per day for the cabin steward.

Confirmation directly from the cruiseline.

Everyone is right-- it's a suite in name only. I see no reason to pay more for anything larger, but I do like the space a Jr. Suite affords us. You just don't get concierge service, but that's ok. The tips are the same as any regular cabin.

I booked a JS for next January and had the tips pre-paid they only charged me the lower rate not the suite rate. So for 8 night cruise the tips were $78.00 pp.

Christine

If you paid 78.00 pp you paid more then the asking rate???? Or was that for all gratuties?

We are frequent cruisers that usually book a balcony room. For our cruise on Navigator in Nov.'06 we splurged and went with a jr. suite. We peeked at a jr. while we were just on Explorer and it was considerably larger than a balcony room and also includes a TUB!! Needless to say, we are excited!!

So instead of feeling like a caged baby veal for a week, I look forward to stretching my arms and not being able to touch both sides of my cabin walls!!

Thanks for all the replies! I guess we'll plan on the minimum amount for the attendant, and then add as we feel the service warrants, which we do for every position. And, knowing what to expect with re to amenities is nice, so I'm not disappointed. We are booked in an aft JS, so are looking forward to both a larger stateroom and larger balcony than in the past!

I knew you guys would be able to help me out! Thanks!

Geri is, as usual, absolutely correct.

In case you have any doubts, people have reported that when they have been in a JS, and have had the tips paid AUTOMATICALLY by RC, RC charges the $3.50 per day for the cabin steward.

Confirmation directly from the cruiseline.

That's what we paid in November on the Voyager in a JS.

Thanks for all the replies! I guess we'll plan on the minimum amount for the attendant, and then add as we feel the service warrants, which we do for every position. And, knowing what to expect with re to amenities is nice, so I'm not disappointed. We are booked in an aft JS, so are looking forward to both a larger stateroom and larger balcony than in the past!

I knew you guys would be able to help me out! Thanks!

The AFT JS Balcony is wonderful! What deck are you on? We were a bit surprised that we look down into everyone elses balcony. Since we were on deck 10 though no one too look down on ours. :)

We're on Deck 10, too - directly in the center of the aft, so it appears as though we'll only have to wonder if those in the Island Grill can see down there.

Are we able to have room service set up on the balcony? And, is it possible to sun bathe on the balcony (ie - do you get enought sun?!?)

Thanks!

We're on Deck 10, too - directly in the center of the aft, so it appears as though we'll only have to wonder if those in the Island Grill can see down there.

Are we able to have room service set up on the balcony? And, is it possible to sun bathe on the balcony (ie - do you get enought sun?!?)

Thanks!

No one can look down on the deck 10 balcony, but it is partially covered. We ordered room service, but never asked them to set it up for us, but I imagine you could.

There was sun on the 2-3 foot edge of the balcony part of each day, but because of the position of the sun by then you sometimes had railing shadows. There might have been more in the earlier afternoon, but we were always napping so I didn't notice! I wouldn't really consider it a sun bathing balcony. We liked it because of the shade and two light skinned toddlers!

We were in cabin 1396 which is pretty centered as well. We really liked the cabin and didn't really mind the walk to the elevators.

IMNiles is correct--not ALL JS have a walk-in closet. Ours on Grandeur (#8556) did not.

Also, I want to know how Gerif got the walk-in closet to double as a bath-tub!!! LOL! I know what you meant, but your phrasing gave me a chuckle!

IMNiles is correct--not ALL JS have a walk-in closet. Ours on Grandeur (#8556) did not.

Also, I want to know how Gerif got the walk-in closet to double as a bath-tub!!! LOL! I know what you meant, but your phrasing gave me a chuckle!

Rala: LOL!

We have had aft JS's on the Grandeur and Vision. They were great for sunbathing. We always had room service take our breakfast trays on the balcony. It was fabulous. On the Grandeur we were right below the spa. If someon smunched their face against the glass, they could partly see into our balcony. I only saw one smunched face the entire cruise, but they were looking more towards the rescue helicopter. They just looked down momentarily (maybe they were frightened by the whiteness of our bodies). :eek:

Merion Mom (Carol), May I call you Carol since I feel like I know you from your many entertaining and informative posts here, it is reassuring to know that someone else shares my sometimes weird sense of humor!!

Laura

Junior suite to me is a misnomer. We've sailed four times and all four times have had junior suites because we love the extra space for four (2/2) over a balcony cabin. But, it is not a suite. We happily paid 3.75/per day/per person (including children) for the gratuity for our cabin steward, not $5.75. The higher fee is for Grand, Owner, Family Royal, and Royal. These areas offer a "distinct" sleeping area, hence I suppose the suite name. I wish they would come up with a better name for JS so there isn't the confusion that appears to reign on these boards with respect to gratuities, concierge service, suite privileges, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love a junior suite, but it's not really a suite with the assumed suite privileges that some people think it is (IMO).

Junior suite to me is a misnomer. We've sailed four times and all four times have had junior suites because we love the extra space for four (2/2) over a balcony cabin. But, it is not a suite. We happily paid 3.75/per day/per person (including children) for the gratuity for our cabin steward, not $5.75. The higher fee is for Grand, Owner, Family Royal, and Royal. These areas offer a "distinct" sleeping area, hence I suppose the suite name. I wish they would come up with a better name for JS so there isn't the confusion that appears to reign on these boards with respect to gratuities, concierge service, suite privileges, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love a junior suite, but it's not really a suite with the assumed suite privileges that some people think it is (IMO).

Based upon the space that the bar area takes up in the GS and the fact that I don't want the concerige lounge, 1 flight down is as convenient as 1 flight up, as our JS is on deck 10, the JS is as good as the GS. If I had the desire to spend additional money on a OS or greater, I'd cruise on a different line, where a greater emphasis is placed on gournet food and more personal service.

This is always a debate with friends, do you buy the top of the line Toyota or the comparable dollar verson of a BMW?

Archived